Vibration Starting at 70 MPH After New Parts

Before I finished everything this afternoon I adjusted my toe in from 1/4” to a 1/8”.
When I started working on the jeep this morning is a nice warm 15*, needless to say this afternoon when it got 35* it truely felt like it was 80 outside.

19B99FE0-AF21-466E-8D72-0A51A61FB16F.jpeg

I too chased front drive line vibrations. My Jeep had them when I purchased them. I determined it was indeed the front shaft by removal and testing. Following the guidance given here on this forum I tried every every angle from 2 degrees low to 3 above the front shaft. I called “mercy” and installed a hub kit.
after installing my hub kit I lowered my pinion to stock angles. With the new hub kit pinion/drive shaft angles no longer mattered since front shaft no longer spins on the freeway. Now for the funny part......I can leave my hubs locked in and I no longer have vibrations. Guess my front drive shaft wanted a bit different angle. Don’t be afraid to try a bit lower angle. Adjusting very little at a time.

Reactions: Blondie70
Got the Adams shaft back last night from being rebuilt by Quigleys. It has just the slightest vibration now at 70MPH and above. Taking it back off and down to them to rebalance it tonight. I am definitely getting tired of installing and removing the front driveshaft... Should have just had them rebalance it to begin with but was hoping to not have to after the new joints.

There is a point where live axles and short wheelbase vehicles just are what they are. I'm not sitting in your TJ so I can't say how bad your problem is, but there may be a limit to how well you can get.

There is a point where live axles and short wheelbase vehicles just are what they are. I'm not sitting in your TJ so I can't say how bad your problem is, but there may be a limit to how well you can get.
This is kind of where I'm at right now. They are definitely no where near as bad as they were with the Tom Woods shafts installed.

No idea. The only issue I could physically find on both the ones they sent me were the welds cracked off on one side of the weights they welded on. Maybe the weld not fully working allows the weight to shift at higher speeds? I am completely making that up cus I have no idea
What the bad weld says to me is that whoever built and balanced the driveshaft was inexperienced, and ultimately that is more likely the cause of the vibration issue.

Reactions: MaximusLJR06
Quigley just called me to give an update. They said my Adams driveshaft did not need balanced and was perfect by their standards. Sounds like I may need to start digging more. Their is a small amount of movement in the front yoke of the transfer case. Is this normal? Its not enough movement that you can actually see it, just hear and feel it if you grab the yoke and yank on it up and down and in and out. They mentioned about a pinion bearing going out but I can imagine that would happen with only 50K miles on my jeep. and to also check the ujoints in the front axles.

Pinion should have a small amount of rotational movement, but there shouldn't be any in/out or tilt. You might want to pull the diff cover and see if there is anything wearing in there. That could cause a vibe for sure if the pinion bearing is dying.

Pinion should have a small amount of rotational movement, but there shouldn't be any in/out or tilt. You might want to pull the diff cover and see if there is anything wearing in there. That could cause a vibe for sure if the pinion bearing is dying.
Pinion doesn't have any play except for rotational, like normal. The front yoke on the transfer case is the where I can feel the slightest amount of movement. It might move 1/16th (probably not even that much) of an inch if I push/pull on it, up and down and in and out.

I've noticed similar play in my front tcase yoke and have wondered if that is normal. Actually assembled parts to do an overhaul of the tcase because of it, but never got around to it. That was like 100K miles ago, though, so guessing it's not an issue in my case.

Well, I think the vibration is finally solved. Took my jeep in for its yearly state inspection and emissions test and had my mechanic install new Spicer axle u-joints and new Timken unit bearings. They said the ball joints were a little loose feeling as well so had them replaced with Dana/Spicer joints. Also finally had the new Centric rotors and Black Magic Brakes installed on the front end. Not sure exactly which part was the culprit but the vibes are gone now. I had all these parts sitting in my garage for the last 4 years as spares so at least they finally came in handy.