Vibration

Stinger

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
Ya I know, it's a lifted jeep. However it's annoying.
Rotational vibration becomes really noticeable at about 50 and it manifests as a medium frequency vib. At 70 is appears to smooth out but that is just because it changed to a high frequency vib. I can really tell the difference by placing my hand on the TC levers. There is a noticeable increase under deceleration!
So my guess is that it's rotational and not in the engine or tranny-vib is still there if I shift into neutral.
So the question is can pinion angle misalignment cause this particular vib or should I look at driveshaft balance, or worse yet ring and pinion(bearing) problems?

Last edited:
Don't forget natural harmonic frequency vibrations. Everything has a natural frequency that it vibrates at. Sometimes, though rarely, you will get a piece of machinery where the natural frequency is right at it's operating speed, and it vibrates even though everything else is set up correctly. Rare, but a bitch to find and correct.

Don't forget natural harmonic frequency vibrations. Everything has a natural frequency that it vibrates at. Sometimes, though rarely, you will get a piece of machinery where the natural frequency is right at it's operating speed, and it vibrates even though everything else is set up correctly. Rare, but a bitch to find and correct.

Oh great! I want answers and you give me more reasons:eek:;)

I'd actually look at ALL of those things, pinion angle, driveshaft balancing and then last I'd check ring and pinions (though that would be my last possible concern).