Vibration

Eric Switzer

anyone fix a driveline vibration that starts only when you are over 60mph in 2wd put it in 4wd vibration gone. Tire are balanced just put in a sye and new drive shaft new core 4x4 rear links and none have help with the vibration in 2wd I need help from someone that has had the same issue.

I had this after I put in a new lift, drive shaft, new rear axle and advance adapters sye. Drove me crazy trying to find because I did so much at once but thought that the transfer case must be the culprit since it stopped in 4wd. The output shaft that came with the sye was out of true, I took it out and took to a machine shop. I think the runout was .08 thousands (not sure if that's the correct way to write it) but I'm not sure. anyway replaced the shaft and I'm good to go. I'm not sure why it did it in 2wd and went away in 4wd but thinking maybe it was the counter torque of being in 4wd. Just a guess

Reactions: JMT
anyone fix a driveline vibration that starts only when you are over 60mph in 2wd put it in 4wd vibration gone. Tire are balanced just put in a sye and new drive shaft new core 4x4 rear links and none have help with the vibration in 2wd I need help from someone that has had the same issue.
Have you ruled out the front driveshaft as the source?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Reactions: MikeO
It doesn't make sense that it happens in 2WD (which is just the rear wheels getting power to them), but then when you put it in 4WD it goes away, because that means both the front and rear wheels are turning.

I have to agree with what @RD3 is saying. If all you did was install a SYE, driveshaft, and control arms, it's got to be one of those, assuming the vibration wasn't there before any of these mods.

What did you change to cause this vibe? For me, it was a re-gear, and I'm still fighting it.

Reactions: ac_
Could it be that you put new tires on? Even though they are balanced an aggressive mud tire can feel like a vibration. Just a suggestion not knowing anything about your jeep. @bobthetj03 really asked the right question what did you change that caused the vibration or what did you change just before you noticed it?

Reactions: JMT and bobthetj03
it Did start after re gearing then I started with the sye drive shaft and links thinking it was one of them. Also replaced joint and cv up front when I re geared. I guess I will start replacing the front driveshaft and link to see if anything helps out. And yes rear pinion is adjust straight to the driveshaft. Just think it is weird it goes completely away in 4wd. Was hoping some one else had the same problem.

Last edited:
Alright any help would be great I have installed front adjustable control arms and adjusted the pinion to match the brand new front drive shaft still vibration if I take the drive shaft out or put in 4wd ride smooth as a caddy all the way up to at least 80 mph didn’t want to push it any higher. Could this be a transfer case problem or something else need help please just want to drive my Jeep on the highway

I'm still battling my vibes as well. Been 2 years now since the re-gear, and no resolution. I have a theory based on harmonics. I have the opposite problem. I pull the rear drive shaft and run in 4 hi with just the front drive shaft the vibes all be go away. Pull the front drive shaft and run just the rear, vibes come back. Try playing with your rear pinion angle some more. Don't be afraid to go below, or above parallel with the angles. I've done a series of rear pinion angle adjustments all the way to -5.0* lower pinion angle with no change. There is some discussion to the cut of gears having some input to this harmonic. I know this doesn't help your situation, but you are not alone in this battle.

Reactions: JMT
I'm still battling my vibes as well. Been 2 years now since the re-gear, and no resolution. I have a theory based on harmonics. I have the opposite problem. I pull the rear drive shaft and run in 4 hi with just the front drive shaft the vibes all be go away. Pull the front drive shaft and run just the rear, vibes come back. Try playing with your rear pinion angle some more. Don't be afraid to go below, or above parallel with the angles. I've done a series of rear pinion angle adjustments all the way to -5.0* lower pinion angle with no change. There is some discussion to the cut of gears having some input to this harmonic. I know this doesn't help your situation, but you are not alone in this battle.
That is what I am saying why can’t someone just help us out. Someone has solved the problem please share

Which driveshaft did you pull that made it smooth?

That is what I am saying why can’t someone just help us out. Someone has solved the problem please share
Every vibration issue is different and unique, there isn't a magic bullet. At the end of the day, you're on your own so don't have a false expectation otherwise and you'll be less disappointed.

Front and I have read many people with
Which driveshaft did you pull that made it smooth?

Every vibration issue is different and unique, there isn't a magic bullet. At the end of the day, you're on your own so don't have a false expectation otherwise and you'll be less disappointed.
as I said in the earlier post the front driveshaft. I understand vibrations are different but there are a lot of the same if you search the site but none ever get solved. Just hard to believe that may people have the same problems and it is just alway adjust your pinion angle I have do that and doesn’t make a difference.

Didn’t someone change their hubs out and it solved it? Can’t remember for sure, can’t even remember who it was, but @bobthetj03 probably remembers.

I think it was @jeepndogs that did the hub conversion and solved his vibes. He too had the issue with the front drive shaft after re-gearing.
What do you guy think about the hub conversion all the one I have found have been up to 33” tires and I am running 35”. I thought about doing it but not sure what is the best brand to go with and if they hold up with the bigger tires.