Vibrations after 2” lift installation

TJim

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
Hey everyone!

I installed a 2” lift on Saturday. I haven’t had the chance to drive it a lot yet, but I noticed some vibration that were not there before.

Is it possible to have some vibrations at 10-30 mph after a 2” lift? I was under the impression that the vibrations are in higher speeds.

I should mention that I have not aligned my TJ yet.

check your driveline angle. Is your transfer case skid bolted directly to the frame or are there drop spacers?

check your driveline angle. Is your transfer case skid bolted directly to the frame or are there drop spacers?
I havent dropped the transfer case. This is not a solution I’m interested in since I want my TJ to be offroad capable.

I might need SYE and rear driveshaft, but thats why I am asking. Are mild vibrations due to driveshaft angle appear at only 10-30 mph? I though I would experience them at higher speeds

Install a BMML for $60. Problem solved.
p.s. You installed a 2" lift and you want your Jeep to be offroad capable? Dropping the tcase 1/2" won't hurt. Pick better lines offroad.

Reactions: MeanGreen86
Get it aligned. If you still have vibrations use spacers for the TC skid and see if the vibrations go away, then you'll know what the next step is, but most likely all you'll need is a MML.

Reactions: Sancho
Install a BMML for $60. Problem solved.
p.s. You installed a 2" lift and you want your Jeep to be offroad capable? Dropping the tcase 1/2" won't hurt. Pick better lines offroad.

Let me be more clear. be as capable as possible off road. My goal for my build is to find the balance between daily driving it and off roading.

Get it aligned. If you still have vibrations use spacers for the TC skid and see if the vibrations go away, then you'll know what the next step is, but most likely all you'll need is a MML.
I will get it aligned asap. Is there any chance that those vibrations are due to alignment?

I will try to not lower my TC, since I dont want to lose any clearance. I will explore all the other possible solutions first.

Question to both:

A MML alone is capable of solving vibrations caused by the driveshafts? So it can be used as an alternative to SYE, and new rear driveshaft?

If yes, can you please help me understand why?

Let me be more clear. be as capable as possible off road. My goal for my build is to find the balance between daily driving it and off roading.

I will get it aligned asap. Is there any chance that those vibrations are due to alignment?

I will try to not lower my TC, since I dont want to lose any clearance. I will explore all the other possible solutions first.

Question to both:

A MML alone is capable of solving vibrations caused by the driveshafts? So it can be used as an alternative to SYE, and new rear driveshaft?

By lifting the engine you are changing the angle of the slip joint at the transfer case which decreases the rear driveshaft angle. For a 2" lift this should be all you need to remove the vibes. The only drawback, if you want to call it that, is you need to modify the fan shroud (raise it) so the fan doesn't hit it...or do a 1" body lift.

Just to clarify, its your rear driveshaft that creates the vibes because it is so short. The front is long enough it's not an issue at that lift height.

Reactions: TJim
By lifting the engine you are changing the angle of the slip joint at the transfer case which decreases the rear driveshaft angle. For a 2" lift this should be all you need to remove the vibes. The only drawback, if you want to call it that, is you need to modify the fan shroud (raise it) so the fan doesn't hit it...or do a 1" body lift.
Thanks for the answer!

BL is out of the equation for now because I only run 31" tires and that would look funny!

In my 2.4L 2004 TJ I have an electric fan instead. Does it have to be raised too?

Thanks for the answer!

BL is out of the equation for now because I only run 31" tires and that would look funny!

In my 2.4L 2004 TJ I have an electric fan instead. Does it have to be raised too?
Nope. it should be a very easy straight forward MML install. If there is no fan on the front of the engine, nothing will need to be done. You may want to consider temporarily putting spacers to drop the transfer case just because its easy and it will tell you for sure if that is the reason for the vibes. Once vibes source is confirmed, then you can drop $60+ on a MML and remove the spacers.

Reactions: Matt131 and TJim

Question to both:

My suggestion to lower the TC skid was only temporary and only used to determine what is causing vibrations. If the vibes disappear after lowering it then a MML would most likely correct the issue by lessoning the driveline angle slightly.

Reactions: TJim and Roadrash74
My suggestion to lower the TC skid was only temporary and only used to determine what is causing vibrations. If the vibes disappear after lowering it then a MML would most likely correct the issue by lessoning the driveline angle slightly.
Yea, I agree. No reason to spend the money unless its going to fix the issue.

Thanks for the tip. I will try it and fingers crossed I will not need SYE etc.

Do you have a specific TC drop on mind or just spacers? How many inches?

The best case scenario would be no vibes after alignment. Do you think thats possible?

Because it is just for troubleshooting purposes, I would use 1/2" - 1" worth of washers or nuts as a spacer (make sure bolts are long enough) and drive it around the block. If the vibes are gone then do proper spacers or a MML.

Reactions: TJim and CodaMan
Newbie question:
Do you guys think there is any chance that , if I install SYE, rear driveshaft/control arms, I will have to change something more? (i.e. front driveshaft , front control arms)

is there any occasion front driveshaft creates vibrations?

my vibrations happen mainly between 10-30mph. They are mild. They are not continuous. They happen mainly during accelarating in those speeds.

30-60 mph no vibrations at all.
I have tried 60+ Mph yet.

any input would be valuable

I just did 2.5 inch lift and had vibes. My driveway was getting done so to hold me over I did a 1 inch t case drop it completely removed the vibes. Then 2 days ago I did it properly and raised it again and put in a 1 inch mml. Vibes are also gone.

Reactions: CodaMan and Matt131
Newbie question:
Do you guys think there is any chance that , if I install SYE, rear driveshaft/control arms, I will have to change something more? (i.e. front driveshaft , front control arms)

is there any occasion front driveshaft creates vibrations?

my vibrations happen mainly between 10-30mph. They are mild. They are not continuous. They happen mainly during accelarating in those speeds.

30-60 mph no vibrations at all.
I have tried 60+ Mph yet.

any input would be valuable
The front drive shaft is plenty long and shouldn't cause future problems. To be sure, remove the rear shaft and see if your vibes are gone, if they are you are golden up front.

Reactions: TJim
Listen...anything is possible but we install a lot of 2.5 " lifts and I can tell you this. If your u-joints are in A+ condition you should be good.

If they are marginal and or of marginal shit quality to begin with that's a problem.

Furthermore how do you know this is driveline related and not tire?
I know you just lifted it but were you on extra high alert immediately after for vibrations and perhaps had some of those vibes before?

U joints and comdition of? Mfg?

Listen...anything is possible but we install a lot of 2.5 " lifts and I can tell you this. If your u-joints are in A+ condition you should be good.

If they are marginal and or of marginal shit quality to begin with that's a problem.

Furthermore how do you know this is driveline related and not tire?
I know you just lifted it but were you on extra high alert immediately after for vibrations and perhaps had some of those vibes before?

U joints and comdition of? Mfg?

I installed new tires and wheels 2 weeks before the lift. I had zero problems.

After I installed the lift, vibrations instantly began. So I believe it's no tire related.

I didn't have any of those vibes before, since I was on alert from before in order to compare before and after performance/problems.

It's nothing huge, but you can for sure feel them. I don't really know if the U joints of the driveshaft were EVER replaced. I bought the TJ roughly two years ago. So I have no clue. I replaced some front driveshaft u joints after a off road trip 1.5 year ago. They started making funny noises, no vibrations.

How can I check the condition of my u joints? Is there any way? or just look at them ?
Do you think they could be worn out, and by lifting it, since the angles changed the vibrations appeared?

I am thinking to lower the TC using some washers etc just to test it. If anything changes. Do you think I should replace my u joints of my rear driveshaft before doing that?

One more question: Is there any chance that alignment might fix it?

Sorry for the long post, I'm just trying to figure out my next step.

I installed new tires and wheels 2 weeks before the lift. I had zero problems.

After I installed the lift, vibrations instantly began. So I believe it's no tire related.

I didn't have any of those vibes before, since I was on alert from before in order to compare before and after performance/problems.

It's nothing huge, but you can for sure feel them. I don't really know if the U joints of the driveshaft were EVER replaced. I bought the TJ roughly two years ago. So I have no clue. I replaced some front driveshaft u joints after a off road trip 1.5 year ago. They started making funny noises, no vibrations.

How can I check the condition of my u joints? Is there any way? or just look at them ?
Do you think they could be worn out, and by lifting it, since the angles changed the vibrations appeared?

I am thinking to lower the TC using some washers etc just to test it. If anything changes. Do you think I should replace my u joints of my rear driveshaft before doing that?

One more question: Is there any chance that alignment might fix it?

Sorry for the long post, I'm just trying to figure out my next step.
Allow me to explain. Let's say you've got a marginal u-joint (you've got 5 front and back in the drive shafts)
The moment you lifted it you increased the angle of all
u-joints. Now if there is one that was marginal before...with the increased stress (more u-joint angle whilst spinning) you can get a vibe alright. More than one marginal u-joint you'll get stringer vibes ahd so on.

U-joints are extremely important and good condition for a smooth drivetrain.

Your next step IMO without question is to change out all
u-joints in both front and rear driveshafts.
Use Spicer 1310

You will need 5 of them. (3 for the front and 2 in the back)

If you don't know the age...perhaps they've never been done in 17 years...it's definitely time.
The fact you just lifted and discuss wheeling quite a bit for your future it will also give you some peace of mind knowing you've got all fresh u-joints.
I say again not knowing their age it's not that expensive to replace and they're a wear item anyways and start at ground zero with new u-joints.

Reactions: CodaMan