Vibrations after SYE and CV driveshaft install

Alatex

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Installed AA and SYE with a new driveshaft from Tom Woods. Current shaft angle is 16.9 degrees and pinion is 16.1 degrees. I’m getting vibes at basically all speeds and I believe it’s coming from the rear but it’s hard to tell. Installed all new U joints in the front shaft as well

image.jpg

double check that your yokes are tight especially on the transfer case side. It’s hard to tell with the shafts installed.

the common thought is the pinion rolls up a hair under load and some keep the pinion angle about 1* lower than the drive shaft angle so under load it rolls up into the good spot.

So I’m about 1” below with the pinion and I’m still getting some vibes, mostly after 60mph. I don’t believe it’s the issue but I was able to pump a good bit of grease into the zerk on the CV shaft that is supposed to come pre greased. I haven’t driven it again yet but like I said I don’t believe that was the issue

So I’m about 1” below with the pinion and I’m still getting some vibes, mostly after 60mph. I don’t believe it’s the issue but I was able to pump a good bit of grease into the zerk on the CV shaft that is supposed to come pre greased. I haven’t driven it again yet but like I said I don’t believe that was the issue

Angles look good. Nothing jumps out to me as being the obvious problem.

When you changed the joints in the front shaft, did you mark the orientation of the yokes before disassembling it then reassemble it the same way? If not, that can and usually will affect the balance. Also, did you replace the socket yoke? I do think it is a good idea to try driving with the front shaft removed to so if that's it or at least eliminate it from the list of suspects.

It is normal to be able to pump extra grease into/through the joints. The extra grease purges out through the seals so you never really reach a "full" point where you can't keep adding grease.

There's some good info about diagnosing drive shaft vibrations on our website here https://4xshaft.com/blogs/faq/diagnosing-drive-shaft-vibrations?_pos=1&_sid=d6ec76a03&_ss=r. Take a look at that, try removing the front shaft, then give us a call if you still can't figure it out.

Remove front drive line all together and go for a drive
• process of elimination
Removed front drive shaft and no vibrations. It’s a stock shaft with brand new spicer 1310x U joints. Where do I go from here?

Angles look good. Nothing jumps out to me as being the obvious problem.

When you changed the joints in the front shaft, did you mark the orientation of the yokes before disassembling it then reassemble it the same way? If not, that can and usually will affect the balance. Also, did you replace the socket yoke? I do think it is a good idea to try driving with the front shaft removed to so if that's it or at least eliminate it from the list of suspects.

It is normal to be able to pump extra grease into/through the joints. The extra grease purges out through the seals so you never really reach a "full" point where you can't keep adding grease.

There's some good info about diagnosing drive shaft vibrations on our website here https://4xshaft.com/blogs/faq/diagnosing-drive-shaft-vibrations?_pos=1&_sid=d6ec76a03&_ss=r. Take a look at that, try removing the front shaft, then give us a call if you still can't figure it out.
I’m thinking it’s the front shaft, with it removed there are no noticeable vibrations. I plan to take it to a driveshaft shop with a balancer in the morning!

Installed AA and SYE with a new driveshaft from Tom Woods. Current shaft angle is 16.9 degrees and pinion is 16.1 degrees. I’m getting vibes at basically all speeds and I believe it’s coming from the rear but it’s hard to tell. Installed all new U joints in the front shaft as well

View attachment 328368
Well boys and girls I installed an angled track bar bracket and adjustable rear track bar today, centered the rear axle and then had angles of 18.3 on the shaft and 16.3 on the pinion. Test drove it up to 85 and it’s smooth as butter!