Vibrations help please

PriddyBoy

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
I'm getting vibrations between 20-40mph in 2-3 gear dash shakes some then smooth's out till I go into 5th gear then there is more vibrations just not as bad if I down to shift to 4th it goes away. Please help. It's not in the steering.

I'll bet you dollars to donuts it's improperly balanced wheels / tires. Take it to a wheel / tire place that is reputable for doing larger 4x4 tires and have them balance your wheels / tires. That's almost always the cause of vibrations from my experience.

Reactions: StG58
I'm getting vibrations between 20-40mph in 2-3 gear dash shakes some then smooth's out till I go into 5th gear then there is more vibrations just not as bad if I down to shift to 4th it goes away. Please help. It's not in the steering.
+1 on tire balance. TJ tires need to be balanced perfectly or you're going to get vibrations. You really need to find a tire shop that has a technician who is experienced in balancing off road tires. A basic spin balance is fine. The key is to have the tech take the time to get the correct amount of weight in exactly the right spots. Close won't cut it. The bigger the tire, the more precise the tech has to be.

From your description, it doesn't sound like drive line balance. It usually isn't.

Also, in regards to the balancing... Worn tires will cause this as well, especially if they're improperly worn, have been sitting for years, etc.

Reactions: StG58
Found the cause of my vibrations......

upload_2017-10-20_18-12-53.png

upload_2017-10-20_18-13-25.png

upload_2017-10-20_18-13-46.png

Reactions: StG58 and Kevin E
The others are right in suggesting tires. for the most part the tires will cause vibrations, but usually not low end. I would be willing to bet you still could have a slight vibration higher up 60 + mph because of the tires, but driveline-ujoint issues usually rears their ugly heads at lower speeds. Usually I would suggest tires to because it is the cheapest thing to try first, but if it is under 40 mph I would check the u-joints and drivelines also.

I would be surprised if you didn't actually have two issues. Meaning the obvious ujoints, and a slight tire balance issue.