Vintage Jeep boom box

UPDATE! This radio has been on my shelf just collecting dust so i decided to do something about it. Here's the results...

View attachment 43993 View attachment 43994 View attachment 43995 View attachment 43996 View attachment 43997 View attachment 43998 View attachment 43999 View attachment 44000 View attachment 44001 View attachment 44002 View attachment 44003 View attachment 44004

....."A live Dog is better than a dead Lion".
Ecclesiastes 9:4
Great job!!

It can be fixed? what the cost? I have extra parts if your interested. Everything worked on it accept it had no volume.
Same issue most of them seem to have. Looks like some bad capacitors and a bad amplifier chip. Parts cost about 5 or 10 bucks from China. I'd do it myself but I have a buddy who does it for a living and is willing to do it really cheap for me.

There must have been a time
when we could have said no.

Thread necro! My neighbor just got me one of these old Jeep Boomboxes for my bday. Pretty cool that all these years later and it still works, for the most part. Just missing the antenna. So looking for a replacement for that.

Reactions: Ephry73 and Kiwi TJ
I had one of those when they first came out. It was never a boom box. More like a waste of money. I could barely hear it over the highway noise in my 75 CJ5. Kinda embarrassing to have a Jeep logo on something so dainty. The toggles and knobs were fragile. I was super careful with it and it stopped working. Junk.
I like the mods on this link though. Maybe if the manufacturer actually had owned a Jeep they would have built them better or just put a Yugo logo on it instead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Chris
I had one of those when they first came out. It was never a boom box. More like a waste of money. I could barely hear it over the highway noise in my 75 CJ5. Kinda embarrassing to have a Jeep logo on something so dainty. The toggles and knobs were fragile. I was super careful with it and it stopped working. Junk.
I like the mods on this link though. Maybe if the manufacturer actually had owned a Jeep they would have built them better or just put a Yugo logo on it instead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Interesting. Surprisingly this one everything works and the speakers aren’t half bad. I’m using the line in and an old iPod and been using it as a garage radio today.

Thread necro! My neighbor just got me one of these old Jeep Boomboxes for my bday. Pretty cool that all these years later and it still works, for the most part. Just missing the antenna. So looking for a replacement for that.

Good luck getting the real antenna. My wife bought me that radio for Christmas probably 19 years ago and my 2yr old (at the time) son broke it the same day.

Unfortunately getwetscuba pretty much describes them, or at least mine to a T.

I am somewhat mad at myself though for tossing it out last year while cleaning out the garage.

UPDATE! This radio has been on my shelf just collecting dust so i decided to do something about it. Here's the results...

View attachment 43993 View attachment 43994 View attachment 43995 View attachment 43996 View attachment 43997 View attachment 43998 View attachment 43999 View attachment 44000 View attachment 44001 View attachment 44002 View attachment 44003 View attachment 44004

Did that stereo come with that big knob? If not, where did you get it. I want one for my stereo. Would be so much easier to adjust sound while bouncing along.

Reactions: skrelnik

LOOOOVE IIIITT!!!! also, I rigged mine, -don't know if you can with the car stereo-, so it uses a usb hookup and run it of a usb battery charger so its totally mobile instead of 8 d-cells

Hello everybody
I have this boombox but no sound go out speakers. The potentiometer is out. Anybody knows the value of it?
Thanks for answers

View attachment 43993

View attachment 43994 View attachment 43995 View attachment 43996 View attachment 43997 View attachment 43998 View attachment 43999 View attachment 44000 View attachment 44001 View attachment 44002 View attachment 44003 View attachment 44004

Great build!

I recently got a discarded one (a brown extension cord was wired reverse polarity to the holes in the power supply tongs, and who knows what else got blown in addition to the leaked capacitors that I found inside).

Thanks for opening up the possibilities for modding/updating these iconic systems.