Vintage Jeep boom box

Shawn’s TJ

TJ Enthusiast
Found a nice Jeep relic

IMG_7254.jpg

That one looks in good nick.?...most I've seen look very worn in lol

Looks way nicer than mine, turned out to be water damaged and I need to rebuild some of the boards.

There must have been a time
when we could have said no.

Looks way nicer than mine, turned out to be water damaged and I need to rebuild some of the boards.

Yeah looks are deceiving! It works but i get hardly any sound. Its very low and comes out of one speaker only. But if you use head phones it sound nice and loud no issues. The tape and CD player still works.

These days a CD player IS vintage. It doesn't have line in, usb, or Bluetooth... Its old school ;)

I'd pop the lid off and check the speaker wires, I bet you have some broken solder joints or a bad amp chip in there.

Oh and as a side note, most of the chips on the amp board are Sony ;)

Reactions: MaloStapalo
These days a CD player IS vintage. It doesn't have line in, usb, or Bluetooth... Its old school ;)

I'd pop the lid off and check the speaker wires, I bet you have some broken solder joints or a bad amp chip in there.

Oh and as a side note, most of the chips on the amp board are Sony ;)
Come to think of it, it does resemble the old water/shock proof Walkman
71AHFRY6T7L.gif

Mine looks exactly like that, except the volume pentameter doesn't work so it is super quiet. But hey it is cool.

I just get such a kick when someone calls a boom box with a CD player "vintage". :risas3:

well you should really get a kick if you read teh thread heading were i called it a "Relic"
Mine looks exactly like that, except the volume pentameter doesn't work so it is super quiet. But hey it is cool.

This radio does the same thing, and the worst parts is i don't JACK about electronics. It's sad because the radio is really neat and seems to be built pretty good on the outside at least.

This radio does the same thing, and the worst parts is i don't JACK about electronics. It's sad because the radio is really neat and seems to be built pretty good on the outside at least.
I didn't really know anything about the radio. I did some research, since then I have discovered someone has one and used a Bluetooth type setup (far beyond my level) to run the speakers and listen through it. I am just putting it with the Jeep collection.

That seems to be a common issue, (looking at the broken ones on ebay) on mine I found what looks like water damage on one of the amplifiers. Im starting to wonder if it just blows out for other reasons. The chip can be had off eBay for a couple bucks. If you can solder I'll dig up the part number. Don't know for sure that's the same chip for yours but it's possible.

UPDATE! This radio has been on my shelf just collecting dust so i decided to do something about it. Here's the results...
WOW that's EPIC!!!! I think I will borrow this idea for my Jeep Boom Box. Only question is how did you wire the radio for power supply? 12V or 120V ?

Reactions: VallenMaes
WOW that's EPIC!!!! I think I will borrow this idea for my Jeep Boom Box. Only question is how did you wire the radio for power supply? 12V or 120V ?

That was easy. The systems was original a 12 volt system ( see the back of your Jeep boom box) and my jeep Boom box came with the original power pack which plugs into the wall and reads... 120v in /12 volts out. so i wired that to the original power bank from on the jeep radio so that solved that problem. Also, i kept the batter compartment intact so it also works on 8 D size batters which is expensive so i won't use that option. Moreover, I found another power jack that's the same as the original jack on the power pack and weird tat plug to a 12 volt plug so it now it can plug it into a 12volt /cigarette plug in the car.
The trick is to use a newer car radio that is bluetooth and has no CD, because those units are very small and use very little power.

Reactions: Kiwi TJ
A guy can do a lot with those CD-less Car radios because of there size. In my Humvee I was able to install a Pioneer radio and cobra CB all inside an Ammo can. Moreover, i also was able to get a mini glove compartment too. See Pictures.

The decals on the Ammo can are not accurate, the can is a 50 Cal

IMG_8181.jpg
IMG_8182.jpg
IMG_8183.jpg

That's a cool build. Can't wait to get the amp boards fixed in mine.