Vintage Jeeps on Rubicon Trail 2018 (Videos)

... those minor victories are usually the only victories.

You know I guess it's all perspective.... Those guys probably look at us the way we we look at guys in $80,000 Range Rovers

Unreal . You'd have arms like Popeye .
I honestly can't imagine attempting it.

Not videos, but some cool pics off the 'net...
2dilzdn2i9cx.jpg
15843566178_8669c3126f_b.jpg
864203d1325708560-all-team-bhp-4x4-jeep-pics-cj3brip5.jpg
Jays_Jeep_p.jpg
ned-jeep-i-found-in-the-woods-when-hiking-on-my-dads-property-out-in-the-swamp-in-florida--21894.jpg
Jeep.jpg

I'll bet you're right. Man, I look at the guys piloting that vintage tin with nothing but admiration.

I watched the 2nd video today bit by bit as and when I found time. Those guys sure know how to drive. Those old timey Jeeps are so good looking with all that wear and tear.

Knowing how hard it was to even turn it while trying to park when my Mazda's power steering pump suddenly broke a few years ago, I'll say that those guys have very strong shoulders and forearms.

Reactions: Squatch
I've always been most partial to YJs and TJs in terms of style, but I gotta admit that these old vintage Jeeps looks really bad ass when in action like this.

@Squatch Those pictures are beautiful...and also kinda sad...

I've always been most partial to YJs and TJs in terms of style, but I gotta admit that these old vintage Jeeps looks really bad ass when in action like this.

@Squatch Those pictures are beautiful...and also kinda sad...
Aren't they, though? Even though people are aware of their existence, it would be appear that these rigs are destined to return to the earth, rather than be saved.

Aren't they, though? Even though people are aware of their existence, it would be appear that these rigs are destined to return to the earth, rather than be saved.
It also reminds me that all vehicles get older. One day it'll be hard to find TJs that aren't rusted and busted like these. Thanks for the existential crisis. =P

Funny you would say that, as I was going to comment about all the hard work we put into our rigs probably won't matter a bit in 100 years, or so. They'll all end-up looking more like the Jeeps in these pics...

Reactions: Equilibrium31
My dad has a thing for old army vehicles so I grew up driving them. We had a 42 Ford GPW (typical WW2 Jeep) that we restored that was pretty cool, but it wasn’t much fun to drive. Way too cramped and uncomfortable.

The later Vietnam era M151 jeeps (also made by ford) were way more fun. They have an independent suspension (more or less A arm style) that really handles rough terrain well. Not much use for rock crawling as they didn’t have low range and a locker was never made for the differentials, but still a blast to drive. I put thousands of miles on one exploring the old logging and mining roads around north Idaho.

I was just back in Idaho last month and was able to take one of the m151s (in the pic) for a spin again. I’m not getting rid of the TJ any time soon, but it’s amazing how fun these are.

4829844A-0B92-4BFE-8EC1-86D6F25001CE.jpeg

My dad has a thing for old army vehicles so I grew up driving them. We had a 42 Ford GPW (typical WW2 Jeep) that we restored that was pretty cool, but it wasn’t much fun to drive. Way too cramped and uncomfortable.

The later Vietnam era M151 jeeps (also made by ford) were way more fun. They have an independent suspension (more or less A arm style) that really handles rough terrain well. Not much use for rock crawling as they didn’t have low range and a locker was never made for the differentials, but still a blast to drive. I put thousands of miles on one exploring the old logging and mining roads around north Idaho.

I was just back in Idaho last month and was able to take one of the m151s (in the pic) for a spin again. I’m not getting rid of the TJ any time soon, but it’s amazing how fun these are.

That M151 is beautiful. Really timeless look.

Brand new to this with my 98 Wrangler I just purchased It is stock with 61k miles for a daily driver. I'm getting too old for dirt bikes. Might have to start scouring around for a clunker to build up and have some real fun in. I think I might feel an addiction to a new hobby coming on. Thanks for posting

Brand new to this with my 98 Wrangler I just purchased It is stock with 61k miles for a daily driver. I'm getting too old for dirt bikes. Might have to start scouring around for a clunker to build up and have some real fun in. I think I might feel an addiction to a new hobby coming on. Thanks for posting
Welcome aboard! I have a '98 Sahara with 204,000 miles on it. It's turning out to be much more of a project than I ever thought it would be. Still, this forum and its members are an excellent resource for anything and everything TJ. I'd encourage you to read some of the fantastic threads on here, ask lots of questions, and post pictures. This bunch loves pictures! :D

Years ago I had a '43 GPW. Before that my Dad and I put back together a partially cut up M-151 A1. Both were fun to drive even without power anything. And talk about strong arm steering, I recently sold my FJ-40. When I got in '78, it had 15x10 wheels with Gates Commandos tires on it. Of course I was a lot younger then and worked at a lumber yard as a yard ape. The TJ has really softened me up though.

Years ago I had a '43 GPW. Before that my Dad and I put back together a partially cut up M-151 A1. Both were fun to drive even without power anything. And talk about strong arm steering, I recently sold my FJ-40. When I got in '78, it had 15x10 wheels with Gates Commandos tires on it. Of course I was a lot younger then and worked at a lumber yard as a yard ape. The TJ has really softened me up though.

It’s a shame that they cut up most of the m151s. We had one that had been welded back together, but also rebuilt one that we found uncut (the one in the pic). I never minded the lack of power steering as they were pretty light. We also had a dodge m37 that I used to get firewood with. That one was almost dangerous without power steering or brakes. Pretty neat to drive though.

Reactions: alittleoff