Vinyl Fabric Spray Paint: How to Refresh TJ interior (for 15 bucks)

Is this Worth It

• Total voters

Devinr29

TJ Enthusiast
Pre-ramble:
So My TJ didn't come with carpets and I wanted them for many reasons listed in other threads. A lot of people told me to get bedrug carpets, some told me to rip em out and Bedline the thing. Instead, I Called my buddy who had a totaled TJ and grabbed his front carpets from his Sahara for 20 bucks, and my other buddy has a totaled TJ with gray carpets so I picked up the back ones for 30 bucks. I ran them Mismatched for a while but I had the weekend off from work and wanted a project.

What I did:
1. I went to AutoZone and picked up some Duplicolor fabric and vinyl paint in flat black. I got two cans but I recommend three.

2. Then I tore out the carpets.

3. To prepare them I used a carpet steamer, then a vacuum.

4. I laid out the carpets on a piece of plastic in my garage and began spraying. The trick I found is to go slow and overlap about half a spray.

Note For the driver side plastic foot piece I used Rustoleum Bedliner, just one coat It adhered really well and looks very good.

Here are the results:

Let Me know what you guys think, its one of my first DIY mods, I haven't seen a lot on the forum for carpet work like this so hopefully you guys enjoy.

Last edited:
It's not really a BedRug alternative, per se, but if you're looking to just make it look newer then yes, what you did certainly seems like an easy and inexpensive thing to do if you can't or won't drop the cash on BedRug.

The thing about BedRug is that it's made of an entirely different material, basically think of it as thin strands of plastic woven together. That's why it's resistant to chemicals and mold; because it's synthetic. Of course it's recommended often because it's seen as a more desirable alternative to replacing carpet with more carpet for a reasonable price ($350 as I recall for a whole TJ set on Amazon).

Reactions: Devinr29
Not really a BedRug alternative, as BedRug is waterproof and much more durable.

However, what you did is a nice way to restore factory carpets no doubt! Looks like it came out nicely, and it was undoubtedly cheaper than BedRug!

Reactions: Devinr29
Not really a BedRug alternative, as BedRug is waterproof and much more durable.

However, what you did is a nice way to restore factory carpets no doubt! Looks like it came out nicely, and it was undoubtedly cheaper than BedRug!
I agree definitely not an alternative, more as just another option for those looking to refresh the interior.

Reactions: JMT
It's not really a BedRug alternative, per se, but if you're looking to just make it look newer then yes, what you did certainly seems like an easy and inexpensive thing to do if you can't or won't drop the cash on BedRug.

The thing about BedRug is that it's made of an entirely different material, basically think of it as thin strands of plastic woven together. That's why it's resistant to chemicals and mold; because it's synthetic. Of course it's recommended often because it's seen as a more desirable alternative to replacing carpet with more carpet for a reasonable price ($350 as I recall for a whole TJ set on Amazon).
Maybe I should change the header then. I didn't know that it was made out of a synthetic. Thanks for the input.

Found this thread and decided to try it out. I was pretty much ready to run no carpet before painting them.

I'm pretty happy with the results. Depends what you're looking for (refresh vs. upgrade) but this is definitely a quick upgrade if your carpets, like mine, are in decent condition but just plain ugly.

IMG_20191015_121651.jpg

IMG_20191015_122141.jpg
IMG_20191014_120828.jpg

Reactions: BeavisTJ
I did the same but used spray dye from Michaels, Hobby Lobby, and Joann Fabrics. It's dye rather than paint so it just soaks into the carpet fibers keep it soft. How does yours feel with the paint? I know it's not a sub for Bedrug but my factory carpet has a fantastic heat shield and noise dampening material under it. I love it amd don't mind cleaning it.

20191013_185210_HDR.jpg

20191015_143500_HDR.jpg

20191015_145006_HDR.jpg

Looks really nice! Funny you mention the texture, it's definitely rougher. I like that it's "grippier" on the floor mats but I wonder if I'll run into flaking issues from cleaning or something before you run into fading.

Looks really nice! Funny you mention the texture, it's definitely rougher. I like that it's "grippier" on the floor mats but I wonder if I'll run into flaking issues from cleaning or something before you run into fading.
They make an exterior spray dye for outdoor furniture fabrics amd is UV resistant.

Fantastic, I meant to say I expect yours will last longer regardless. Dye wasn't an option I considered but it was kinda spur of the moment anyway.
Mine was spur of the moment too. My wife and I travelled to 2 Hobby Lobbys, 2 Michaels, and 1 Joann Fabrics to get my supply. Cleaned em out of black!