Vinyl paint is awesome!

Reactions: MountaineerTom
Let us know how the mix turns out.

I have some half door panels that were originally gray, painted black, but when I get around to it, I’d like to paint them light khaki myself.

O.K. So I finally got the door panel crack(s) repaired and the upper section of the door panel repainted in SEM jeep khaki that I had mixed and charged into aerosol paint cans. A pint of paint will charge 4 average size spray cans. The paint match is so close that I only painted the door panel above the crease that runs through the inside door handle opening and feathered it slightly below the crease. I used .020 thick aircraft aluminum sheet for the patches on the back side of the panel for reinforcement of the crack areas and I drilled 1/16th inch holes at the end of the cracks to (hopefully) prevent the cracks from continuing down the door. I used 3M 2216 structural adhesive to bond the aluminum reinforcements to the back side of the door panel. I used JB weld crack filling epoxy on the front side to crack fill. After the whole thing cured up I lightly sanded the repaired crack areas level. I used "Bully Dog" adhesion enhancer prior to painting with the SEM Khaki and used a matte SEM clear over the top of the paint to get the repaired areas to match the surface finish on the door panel. Attached are a few pics of the repair. It's not perfect but better than it was. DSCF0051.JPGD-P Crack.jpgDSCF0050.JPG

DSCF0049.JPG

What did you guys do with the gauges and such on the dash when you painted? Just tape them off? Or did you remove various dash components?

What did you guys do with the gauges and such on the dash when you painted? Just tape them off? Or did you remove various dash components?
I removed each and every component. It wasn't hard and makes for much better results.

How does Colorbond compare to SEM? I want to do my door panels too. I found Chrysler Slate Grey 17373 in SEM. And a good adhesion promoter from SEM.

I'm willing to buy whichever is better. As I don't want to have to do this over again. Your panels look awesome. And with what you started with. I'm amazed.

I guess only time will tell which holds up better. But I like the kid test. :) Good idea. If it can hold up to kids your good to go!

Last edited:
Reactions: Lilbomb
How does Colorbond compare to SEM? I want to do my door panels too. I found Chrysler Slate Grey 17373 in SEM. And a good adhesion promoter from SEM.

I'm willing to buy whichever is better. As I don't want to have to do this over again. Your panels look awesome. And with what you started with. I'm amazed.

I guess only time will tell which holds up better. But I like the kid test. :) Good idea. If it can hold up to kids your good to go!
I've only tried the ColorBond myself. It worked great in my opinion but this was the first time I have ever painted an interior. My center console has gotten a bit scratched up getting in and out and i've since removed the seats a couple of times and the console and that did put scratches in the "paint" I guess you could say. I will spray a little bit over it and see how the touch up goes. So far the door panels and front dash has held up great. When it gets dirty I just wipe it down with a little Lysol spray and it cleans right up.

I really should have gone with a grey and not a black though, black really does show EVERYTHING. The black looks killer when it's clean but I have not been offroad yet so we shall see how dirty it gets in the future. lol

I use SEM Color Coat in Landau Black with a couple coats of their Low Luster Clear over it to match the sheen of the rest of the interior bits.

View attachment 66929

If you are patient and spray several "dry" coats from a bit more distance than you would want for a full wet coat, you can add a very slight texture that matches the rest of the painted interior parts.
@bedhed looks like we have our answer from the man himself

Reactions: bedhed
Any ideas on the color codes from any manufacturers for the camel (light tan) interior? PO put in doors with grey panels

Reactions: Nickgsjeep
Any ideas on the color codes from any manufacturers for the camel (light tan) interior? PO put in doors with grey panels

So far everything I’ve found points to SEM 5020. It has to be mixed by a SEM paint retailer and you can purchase it in rattle cans. Most people on here say it’s an exact match.
I did buy a can of this from a local auto body shop and it is very very close, but the can they mixed up for me was slightly off than the factory color. There is the human factor to consider. As well as time and fading. This was just my experience. It is undoubtedly extremely close.

So far everything I’ve found points to SEM 5020. It has to be mixed by a SEM paint retailer and you can purchase it in rattle cans. Most people on here say it’s an exact match.
I did buy a can of this from a local auto body shop and it is very very close, but the can they mixed up for me was slightly off than the factory color. There is the human factor to consider. As well as time and fading. This was just my experience. It is undoubtedly extremely close.
👍🏻👍🏻

Has anyone tried to repaint the dash without removing it. It’s (my and) my kids first wrangler and although I am fairly handy not sure if I am ready to remove everything. Any tips and hints much appreciated!