vinyl wrap question

Fltjer

Still looking for a good used tj with less than 100k miles. Instead of trying to find the color I want I thought about a wrap. Now, my local graphic guy does a lot of wraps for business vehicles etc... He gave a $1500- 2000 price to do a 2 door wrangler. He also discouraged it because of so many small areas.
I found a diy kit on the mossy oak site for about $550 that comes with a 7 year guarantee on fading.
Anyone else ever priced/done something like this??

I've applied TONS and TONS of huge decal and vinyl in my life. If you haven't done a wrap before, trust me when I say you don't know what you're getting into. You need some serious skill (just like those window tinter guys have). It seems easy, but if you want it done right with no air bubbles and a good look, you'll regret taking this on as a DIY project, I promise you that.

If you have experience with installing window tint or large (and I mean large) vinyl decals (particularly on curved surfaces), then you'll have the experience needed. But if not, spending $550 will be a total crap shoot.

I think you might be better off with a Plasti-Dip.
Theres a way to do it right and have it look like a pretty decent job, i've seen them. Not to mention how much cheaper it will be.

Reactions: Chris
I've applied TONS and TONS of huge decal and vinyl in my life. If you haven't done a wrap before, trust me when I say you don't know what you're getting into. You need some serious skill (just like those window tinter guys have). It seems easy, but if you want it done right with no air bubbles and a good look, you'll regret taking this on as a DIY project, I promise you that.

If you have experience with installing window tint or large (and I mean large) vinyl decals (particularly on curved surfaces), then you'll have the experience needed. But if not, spending $550 will be a total crap shoot.
I have done several of my own window tint jobs over the last 30 years and they came out without any bubbles for years also. Don't think I have the indoor room or skill for a wrap.
Paying someone $1500 seems reasonable considering everything.
Thanks Chris for the excellent info!

I think you might be better off with a Plasti-Dip.
Theres a way to do it right and have it look like a pretty decent job, i've seen them. Not to mention how much cheaper it will be.
How does the plasti dip work? Like the bed liner stuff?

Window tinting is one of those things where most people assume it's easy. However, there's definitely some skill to it. The first time I tried it I messed up big-time. I've gotten a lot better at it over the years. You're right though, paying somebody $1500 labor to install the vinyl wrap isn't all that bad if you consider the amount of work involved.

Still looking for a good used tj with less than 100k miles. Instead of trying to find the color I want I thought about a wrap. Now, my local graphic guy does a lot of wraps for business vehicles etc... He gave a $1500- 2000 price to do a 2 door wrangler. He also discouraged it because of so many small areas.
I found a diy kit on the mossy oak site for about $550 that comes with a 7 year guarantee on fading.
Hey Fltjer!
I actually just ordered a piece of 5' x 6' 3M 1080 matte black vinyl on amazon, I've done a lot of studying and I'm confident I can do the hood of my Scat Pack. I paid $62 in total and that also includes a vinyl installation kit (squeeze, gloves, magnets, etc.). If I mess up, it won't hurt too bad, a local shop quoted me $300 for the same job, that's around $250 for 1 hour of labor, couldn't bring myself to paying that much.
I have plasti dipped the grille and part of the fenders and fender flares on my TJ and I was not impressed, it's peeling already and I gave it 5 coats. Personally I think vinyl is more durable, my opinion based on my experience.
I think a mossy oak vinyl print should be more forgiving than a matte black vinyl (wish me luck), I gotta get that hood super clean, otherwise imperfections are gonna show really bad.

I had my whole Sidekick wrapped in matte black back in 2011 it cost around the same price, they used 3M vinyl and insured it for 10 years. You get what you pay for, if they do it right it will include taking some of your car body panels, trim and fenders off, mine held up really well for the 4 years i had the car, 3M vinyl is very durable. As mush as I like the colour, I dont miss having a matte black car, it looks like shit if you don't keep it spotless, I had to wash it weekly in this country. Personally I would hold out for the right car in the right colour especially with a convertible. unless you plan on wrapping the inside of your car depending and how different the original colour is its going to look terrible having a camo wrap on the outside and say yellow on the inside when you are driving around with the roof and doors off.

Reactions: JMT
That's a lot of good information. I think I will rule out the wrap for now and just look for a color I can live with.

Reactions: JMT
I got a quote for a wrap in NJ. If I recall correctly, it was upwards of 2k or more. This particular place removes all of the hinges and has them powder coated. That includes the window hinges, doors and rear tailgate.

And I def wouldn't DIY either. I can find better uses for 500 plus dollars. If it goes wrong, I'd be very upset.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I had my 2000 tj sport wrapped. went from dark green to bright metallic silver. $850 drive out. 3m material. Love the look/transformation. you can find flaws if you scrutinize it but I couldn't be happier.
Before:
20160807_161251.jpg

After:
20161116_100219.jpg

I had my 2000 tj sport wrapped. went from dark green to bright metallic silver. $850 drive out. 3m material. Love the look/transformation. you can find flaws if you scrutinize it but I couldn't be happier.
Before:View attachment 7858
After:View attachment 7859

That looks awesome for $850! I have silver, but would love flat dark gray or flat black for that price!

Hey Fltjer!
I actually just ordered a piece of 5' x 6' 3M 1080 matte black vinyl on amazon, I've done a lot of studying and I'm confident I can do the hood of my Scat Pack. I paid $62 in total and that also includes a vinyl installation kit (squeeze, gloves, magnets, etc.). If I mess up, it won't hurt too bad, a local shop quoted me $300 for the same job, that's around $250 for 1 hour of labor, couldn't bring myself to paying that much.
I have plasti dipped the grille and part of the fenders and fender flares on my TJ and I was not impressed, it's peeling already and I gave it 5 coats. Personally I think vinyl is more durable, my opinion based on my experience.
I think a mossy oak vinyl print should be more forgiving than a matte black vinyl (wish me luck), I gotta get that hood super clean, otherwise imperfections are gonna show really bad.

I like your idea! I'll consider doing my own vinyl wrap project as well but will probably seek some professional help from Gatowraps and Gatorprints

Before:View attachment 7858
After:View attachment 7859
I hate bringing this back up but I wanted to ask, how's it holding up? Any gripes? I'm seriously considering wrapping my Jeep a more drastic color :D.

Reactions: Starrs
I'm a signwriter by trade although haven't done any for quite some time as everything now is a sticker...I ended up earning a crust but doing clear vinyl bonnet protectors (to protect the front of your car from stone chips) To do it properly there was quite a bit of training involved and that just to do the front 8 inches of the bonnet. I would never try and tackle the whole car...get a pro to do it and if there are any issues you can always take it back.

I'm a signwriter by trade although haven't done any for quite some time as everything now is a sticker...I ended up earning a crust but doing clear vinyl bonnet protectors (to protect the front of your car from stone chips) To do it properly there was quite a bit of training involved and that just to do the front 8 inches of the bonnet. I would never try and tackle the whole car...get a pro to do it and if there are any issues you can always take it back.
Definitely not going to try to waste $500.00 worth of material, gonna pay the labor to have it done right and support a local tradesman.