Vise stand: some assembly required

OP
Mud Mixer

Mud Mixer

Supporting Member
Feb 1, 2019
Sunny South, Florida
I need something with a low center of gravity so it won't fall over and kill me. A train wheel would be a good start. A train axle would help too.

Reactions: Chris

tworley

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
May 23, 2018
Morrison, CO
Hows that portable? Need a forklift just to move it!

I searched for a Wilton for a long time but the only ones that would pop up every now and then were 4 or 4.5". The point came where I needed a vise no matter what brand so I settled for a 6" Bessey from Home Depot. I think it was maybe $80?

Reactions: Igoo65

PCO6

TJ Enthusiast
Dec 25, 2016
Newmarket, Ontario
That's heavy! I have a Record No.8 vice. It has 8"jaws. I'm pointing that out because for Records, the No.__ doesn't always indicate the width of the jaw. For comparison it weighs 85 lbs. It's a monster and to be honest a pain in the butt to use because of its height. I'd have to put it on a lower bench to use it comfortably and that would make using the bench uncomfortable.

It's the one that's second from the right. I've had a fair number of Records. I still have 4 in my garage that I use plus currently about 4 more for restoration and resale. I use the No.6 at the right and the No.4 in the middle the most.

picture.jpg

I've never owned a Wilton but that's my Brothers vice of choice, both at work before he retired and at home. I think he has 3 but none as big as an 8".

OP
Mud Mixer

Mud Mixer

Supporting Member
Feb 1, 2019
Sunny South, Florida
Portability is relative lol. I'll move a half ton of gear to save me multiple 100 yard walks. The inside of our shop is about 400' x 500'.

OP
Mud Mixer

Mud Mixer

Supporting Member
Feb 1, 2019
Sunny South, Florida
Man, thats a nice collection. I know what you mean about tooo big or too high. I've got a 4 1/2 Columbian at home, that's 12" from the bench to the top of the jaws. It gets most of the heat/beat/fubar jobs. No shop is complete without a good vise or two.

Mike_H

Rust Belt Heavyweight
Supporting Member
Feb 28, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI, United States
I have a 4" Columbian from my Grampa. Needs new jaws...I'm going to have to make them. Haven't been able to find anything to buy.

I'd really like to find a 6" somewhere. Something older and at a garage sale...so its inexpensive!

PCO6

TJ Enthusiast
Dec 25, 2016
Newmarket, Ontario
I have a 4" Columbian from my Grampa. Needs new jaws...I'm going to have to make them. Haven't been able to find anything to buy.

I'd really like to find a 6" somewhere. Something older and at a garage sale...so its inexpensive!
Have you tried Acklands-Grainger (which I think is just Grainger in the US)? They have a good range of hard & most soft jaws for Records and they're not that expensive (about $45 CDN with screws).

Mike_H

Rust Belt Heavyweight
Supporting Member
Feb 28, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI, United States
So, Inspired last night by all these posts...I took some pictures to aid my memory and went down a couple rabbit trails on the ol' google machine. Turns out, my Columbian is a D44 and Wilton bought Columbian back in the Late 90's. They also "borrowed" the design...which mean that one of Wilton's part numbers essentially cross-references to my Vise...Long Story, but I have a set of jaws on order from Zoro!

Vise in current condition...I will take it apart, clean and repaint it now, since I can make it more useful again!

Reactions: tworley