Vise stand: some assembly required

Mud Mixer

Supporting Member
Aquired a new Wilton 800S vise and I need a new "portable" stand. The old truck wheel/pipe just ain't gonna cut it as the 800S weighs well over 200 lbs.

Reactions: Chris
Hows that portable? Need a forklift just to move it!

I searched for a Wilton for a long time but the only ones that would pop up every now and then were 4 or 4.5". The point came where I needed a vise no matter what brand so I settled for a 6" Bessey from Home Depot. I think it was maybe $80?

Reactions: Igoo65
That's heavy! I have a Record No.8 vice. It has 8"jaws. I'm pointing that out because for Records, the No.__ doesn't always indicate the width of the jaw. For comparison it weighs 85 lbs. It's a monster and to be honest a pain in the butt to use because of its height. I'd have to put it on a lower bench to use it comfortably and that would make using the bench uncomfortable.

It's the one that's second from the right. I've had a fair number of Records. I still have 4 in my garage that I use plus currently about 4 more for restoration and resale. I use the No.6 at the right and the No.4 in the middle the most.

picture.jpg

I've never owned a Wilton but that's my Brothers vice of choice, both at work before he retired and at home. I think he has 3 but none as big as an 8".

Man, thats a nice collection. I know what you mean about tooo big or too high. I've got a 4 1/2 Columbian at home, that's 12" from the bench to the top of the jaws. It gets most of the heat/beat/fubar jobs. No shop is complete without a good vise or two.

I have a 4" Columbian from my Grampa. Needs new jaws...I'm going to have to make them. Haven't been able to find anything to buy.

I'd really like to find a 6" somewhere. Something older and at a garage sale...so its inexpensive!

I have a 4" Columbian from my Grampa. Needs new jaws...I'm going to have to make them. Haven't been able to find anything to buy.

I'd really like to find a 6" somewhere. Something older and at a garage sale...so its inexpensive!
Have you tried Acklands-Grainger (which I think is just Grainger in the US)? They have a good range of hard & most soft jaws for Records and they're not that expensive (about $45 CDN with screws).

So, Inspired last night by all these posts...I took some pictures to aid my memory and went down a couple rabbit trails on the ol' google machine. Turns out, my Columbian is a Dana 44 and Wilton bought Columbian back in the Late 90's. They also "borrowed" the design...which mean that one of Wilton's part numbers essentially cross-references to my Vise...Long Story, but I have a set of jaws on order from Zoro!

Vise in current condition...I will take it apart, clean and repaint it now, since I can make it more useful again!

Reactions: tworley