VM 2.8 turbo diesel frame-up TJ build

Windshield frame bolted it....loking great...next week engine and tranny cooling and e-brake cables.

Resized_20191206_104145 (1).jpeg

Resized_20191206_104224 (1).jpeg

Resized_20191206_104159 (1).jpg

Hardest part the build so far is finally complete with the installation of the front rotors and calipers. The steering knuckles had to be modified so that the calipers and pads would fit. This required moving the caliper mounting points outward by 5/16" and extending the outer brake pad slide surface also by 5/16". Hope to finish the brake system before the semester ends next week. All that's left with the brakes is to finish connecting all the brake hoses to lines, then bleed them of air.
We've also been building an exhaust system from a combination of pieces from the Liberty and pieces that I've bought. Painted it on the weekend....in the process of installing it now.

IMG_20200120_143105.jpg

20200118_163443.jpg

Working on electrical and lighting and have a small problem.....the smoked amber signal lights in the fenders are only two wire....but the original is a three wire (one ground, one signal, and one parking light wire).....with only a two wire light I'll only get the signal lights and no parking lights....not happy with that.....may go back to the original orange signal lights. Currently in the process of adapting the Liberty lighting harness so that the tj lights will plug into it....almost done.....also lengthening the battery positive and negative cables.....on the Libby the battery is on the driver side but on the passenger side in the TJ.....want to get the electrical system powered up soon so that we can start connecting and testing circuits.

VM TJ.jpg

I look forward to the finished result, that's for sure. So far this is turning into one of my favorite TJs I've seen to date!

Reactions: Mike Alfano
Thanks....we're on track to finish this build by June...cant wait for the shake-down trials!

the shake down runs are great. I thought I had everything tip top after the (diesel install. 2” lift. Dana 44 swap)

forgot to add gear oil to the rear axle. So I’m all that work I had basically throw $1200 in the trash. One heck of an expensive lesson.

the shake down runs are great. I thought I had everything tip top after the (diesel install. 2” lift. Dana 44 swap)

forgot to add gear oil to the rear axle. So I’m all that work I had basically throw $1200 in the trash. One heck of an expensive lesson.

Hate hearing stories like that... I have a few of my own I could tell. I will be sure to to put that on the final to-do list as both front and rear pots are empty.

What kind of diesel did you swap in? How do you like it? How does it handle compared to stock?? Fuel consumption?

Hate hearing stories like that... I have a few of my own I could tell. I will be sure to to put that on the final to-do list as both front and rear pots are empty.

I worked in a dealership and was a heavy line mechanic and was regearing a truck for the phone company. I was so excited because I was done early and was going to make bank on the job. Went out for a test drive and was about 2 miles away from the dealership when the rear axle LOCKED UP...…..
Talk about a walk of shame... The housing was toast and they had to order a new complete rear axle. I've made my mistakes over the years but hope I have learned from each of them also.

Went out for a test drive and was about 2 miles away from the dealership when the rear axle LOCKED UP...…..

I got 30-40 miles on the dry axle. I think I had that many because I was running front wheel drive while I waited my Tom woods driveshaft to arrive.
Looking back all the signs were there. But being interior Alaska I thought I was having traction problems on the ice. Not that my rear axle was seizing up

• Sad
I worked in a dealership and was a heavy line mechanic and was regearing a truck for the phone company. I was so excited because I was done early and was going to make bank on the job. Went out for a test drive and was about 2 miles away from the dealership when the rear axle LOCKED UP...…..
Talk about a walk of shame... The housing was toast and they had to order a new complete rear axle. I've made my mistakes over the years but hope I have learned from each of them also.
In 2000 I bought a 2000 Impala wrecked...car had under 2000 miles on it....it was an insurance write-off....put a complete front end on it....had to change the intake manifold (the 3800 has a composite intake, not aluminum) because it was cracked in the accident. Instead of putting a new intake on it I got one from the wreckers to save money. Bolted on the new intake and started the car....everything was great until I started to fill the cooling system with coolant.....started hearing some gurgling sounds and then a big bang and the engine died! Looked under the car and saw pieces of the block and lots of dripping oil and anti=freeze!! That wasn't a good day.

What kind of diesel did you swap in? How do you like it? How does it handle compared to stock?? Fuel consumption?

R2.8 with the Axis 99% kit. Living in Interior Alaska I can only take it out when the temps are above the -10F mark. I haven’t hooked any of the electronics up yet so no idea on fuel consumption. I’m rebuilding the wiring harness and the PcM keeps giving me the no bus message.

so to start the Jeep I have to run a space heater in the engine bay to warm up the air for it to start up.

I posted a pic in the ride of the month. It was its first trip off road because the temp got to +23F

I got 30-40 miles on the dry axle. I think I had that many because I was running front wheel drive while I waited my Tom woods driveshaft to arrive.
Looking back all the signs were there. But being interior Alaska I thought I was having traction problems on the ice. Not that my rear axle was seizing up

I was on the freeway doing 65 MPH when it locked up. The gears melted into the housing so much we couldn't drive the carrier out. Had to cut it out and then the pinion gear was also stuck and it wouldn't come out no matter how much we pounded on it.

I know the Fairbanks area a little. Was stationed at Ft. Richardson for 3 years and lived in Barrow for 3 years as a kid. I miss it up there some times but don't miss the snow and cold anymore. Have 2-3 months of snow where I live at and am thinking it might be time to go some where warmer.

Since the start of the semester we have been working on mostly wiring and getting the tail gate assembled, lined up and installed. Have a bunch of girls in the class and am glad for that because they have lots of patience, will do exactly what you tell them and will ask questions if they don't undetstand...they are doing the wiring...which on this project is a formidable job...the Liberty has tons of wiring we don't need...so they are identifying the circuits we're not using (like power windows and locks etc.) and eliminating them....they are also identifying wiring that we are using and either lengthening or shortening it to accommodate the TJ and wiring in connectors from the old TJ harness....so far we have the wiper motor working, the horns, windshield washer system, front headlights, still working on tail lights....all is going great!

20200220_150701~2.jpg

20200220_150738~2.jpg

Attachments

• received_1199475586926459.mp4
    2.2 MB
Since the start of the semester we have been working on mostly wiring and getting the tail gate assembled, lined up and installed. Have a bunch of girls in the class and am glad for that because they have lots of patience, will do exactly what you tell them and will ask questions if they don't undetstand...they are doing the wiring...which on this project is a formidable job...the Liberty has tons of wiring we don't need...so they are identifying the circuits we're not using (like power windows and locks etc.) and eliminating them....they are also identifying wiring that we are using and either lengthening or shortening it to accommodate the TJ and wiring in connectors from the old TJ harness....so far we have the wiper motor working, the horns, windshield washer system, front headlights, still working on tail lights....all is going great!

View attachment 141379

View attachment 141380
This is so sick