VM 2.8 turbo diesel frame-up TJ build

That was awesome. Great progress and I know it has to feel great to be getting close to being done.

That was awesome. Great progress and I know it has to feel great to be getting close to being done.
Can't wait to try it out because I was impressed with the vm performance in the Libbey...its going to pull that tj hard! Its been a long haul on this project...lots of technical challenges that we faced and overcame...I really can't believe that we pulled it off. Stay tuned ..the best is yet to come...Thanks for the support and kind words

Can't wait to try it out because I was impressed with the vm performance in the Libbey...its going to pull that tj hard! Its been a long haul on this project...lots of technical challenges that we faced and overcame...I really can't believe that we pulled it off. Stay tuned ..the best is yet to come...Thanks for the support and kind words

Hey @Mike Alfano would I be able to pick your brain at some point with all the stuff you did to get this swap done? I just busted the rear axle in my diesel Liberty and I'm seriously considering doing a similar conversion in my LJ Rubicon.

Thanks
Grant

Yesterday was first day working in the shop with students and at a new school..Trying to find an air leak in the fuel system..once it's bled of air the engine will start and run fine....but when you shut it off and wait 20 seconds it won't start. We dropped the fuel tank yesterday to have a look at the rubber lines inside and they all look good...there are a couple of brass unions in the feed line but none are leaking...going to take the filter head assembly off on Monday and inspect it closely....if air is getting into the system doesn't that mean fuel should be leaking in the same spot?

20210923_133816.jpg

20210923_113538.jpg

If you're using the stock filter head, the earlier ones were known to leak through the heater. I believe they came out with an improved design at some point? Many (including me) install a lift pump between the tank and the filter head to help out the pump. I noticed a slight improvement off the line and reduction in engine noise after installing mine.

If you're using the stock filter head, the earlier ones were known to leak through the heater. I believe they came out with an improved design at some point? Many (including me) install a lift pump between the tank and the filter head to help out the pump. I noticed a slight improvement off the line and reduction in engine noise after installing mine.
We are using a stock filter head...and as I recall when driving the Liberty before we took it apart it had extended crank times to get it started. I have a spare from the other diesel Liberty that I bought. Going to try it and see what happens...The 06 Liberty fired up great in seconds so maybe the filter head is theroblem

We are using a stock filter head...and as I recall when driving the Liberty before we took it apart it had extended crank times to get it started. I have a spare from the other diesel Liberty that I bought. Going to try it and see what happens...The 06 Liberty fired up great in seconds so maybe the filter head is theroblem
If it's good, the hand pump should be very solid after bleeding and stay that way. If it's spongy at all, there is a leak in the head somewhere.

I can't wait to hear about this running and driving. Should be incredible. I'm really glad to have my build running, but at the same time I hate that I wasn't able to take my time and just do everything that is needed to protect and repair the frame, the body, etc.

I really would like to do another build in the future where I can push my own skills, knowledge and boundaries and come out with something much "cleaner" in general.

I think that your build is so close to something that Jeep would have released from the factory that it's something incredibly cool to build and for those kids to learn about. Hopefully diesel will stay legal long enough that a few of those kids can do some cool builds. I looked into an EV build and those are out of the realm of possibility for me.

Reactions: Mike Alfano
We're about a month into the new school year and have been making good progress trying to finish all the items on the short list. Because of a pretty significant error on my part we had to send the rear driveshaft back to Rector's (the machine shop that made it) for shortening. We're using a double cardan driveshaft and it requires the pinion angle to be equal with the driveshaft centerline. But when we installed the rear axle (two years ago) we adjusted the control arms so that the pinion centerline was parallel with the ground. So when we noticed the error and made the pinion angle adjustment, the driveshaft would fit, but with not enough slip. Thanks to Rector's for their incredible support (the owner came down to the school twice to have a look and take measurements)....the rear driveshaft should be done in the next day or two. The 8.25" rear axle got buttoned up last week and is full of fluid and ready to go. Today, student's installed the intercooler plumbing and tomorrow hope to install the power steering fluid reservoir. I reached out to our local Jeep community on social media and was so lucky to find someone who has set-up bearings for the front differential. Had to buy a new crown and pinion for the front differential because of a chipped tooth in the crown gear that a student discovered. Hoping to finish that this week. We still need to install the interior fuse-box ....then we can take it outside for a spin.....everyone is pretty anxious to see it go....hoping for next week sometime....Stay tuned

IMG_20211108_143025.jpg

IMG_20211030_151354.jpg

IMG_20211030_155404.jpg

Hey @Mike Alfano would I be able to pick your brain at some point with all the stuff you did to get this swap done? I just busted the rear axle in my diesel Liberty and I'm seriously considering doing a similar conversion in my LJ Rubicon.

Thanks
Grant
Whats going on with your CRD Liberty? Still considering a swap?