VM 2.8 turbo diesel frame-up TJ build

Put a service plate on it and drove her home today...first time off school property. Runs real nice...enormous amount of torque! Not sure why because we replaced all the seals in the front differential but it's leaking out the passenger axle tube. Will take it back to the school next week to change the seal out again. Also going to invest in some sound dampening on the inside of the tub....it's not super loud, I actually love how it sounds.... but the wife will think it's too loud. Going for wheel alignment next week.

IMG_20220506_163146.jpg

IMG_20220506_163102.jpg

Awesome jeep!
How is it coming along? Were you able to trick and tune the error codes out?

Stuff you are still working on?

Awesome jeep!
How is it coming along? Were you able to trick and tune the error codes out?

Stuff you are still working on?

Hey,

Thanks for looking....was quite a project and we're still working on it.

The only lights left on the dash is a red brake light and the airbag light. Not thinking I'm going to be able to get the airbag light out because the airbag control module is looking for a occupant classification sensor that is embedded into the passenger seat....which I am not using. The only way to get the light out would be to somehow simulate that sensor. As for the brake light, we need to trace the parking brake wiring and find the wire that activates the brake light in the dash when you pull on the parking brake....need to ground out that wire.

I drove the jeep all summer and can't tell you how much fun it is to drive. I can't figure out my fuel consumption because the odometer is pegged at 197044 km. Not sure why it isn't working....speedometer works great.....odometer isn't working....not sure what's up there. I had what I thought was a small engine oil leak which I kept my eye on all summer. Turns out that leak was a tranny leak and I ended up in limp mode with only 2nd and 3rd gear. I have a spare transmission that we need to change before school lets out for the summer. We're going to put carpet in it as well as a touchscreen display for music. Will post pics when we're into that.....just waiting for some hoist space....should be able to get started on it in the next couple of weeks.

You had me looking for crd liberty's yesterday evening,lol. I was considering the cummins r2.8l and stroker 6 and went with the stroker.it works well but i regret not considering this swap(i love diesels).

You got the liberty hvac controls to work with the tj box?

Hey,

Thanks for looking....was quite a project and we're still working on it.

The only lights left on the dash is a red brake light and the airbag light. Not thinking I'm going to be able to get the airbag light out because the airbag control module is looking for a occupant classification sensor that is embedded into the passenger seat....which I am not using. The only way to get the light out would be to somehow simulate that sensor. As for the brake light, we need to trace the parking brake wiring and find the wire that activates the brake light in the dash when you pull on the parking brake....need to ground out that wire.

I drove the jeep all summer and can't tell you how much fun it is to drive. I can't figure out my fuel consumption because the odometer is pegged at 197044 km. Not sure why it isn't working....speedometer works great.....odometer isn't working....not sure what's up there. I had what I thought was a small engine oil leak which I kept my eye on all summer. Turns out that leak was a tranny leak and I ended up in limp mode with only 2nd and 3rd gear. I have a spare transmission that we need to change before school lets out for the summer. We're going to put carpet in it as well as a touchscreen display for music. Will post pics when we're into that.....just waiting for some hoist space....should be able to get started on it in the next couple of weeks.

I think the passenger seat airbag is just a seatbelt sensor ( at least on the earlier years) you could probably just plug a little resistor box into the harness and trick the computer (might have to take a few chances to measure it), what’s the code?

If you're serious about swapping out your 4.0L for a diesel, keep on the lookout for a CRD Liberty....its an easy swap and the manual transmission in the TJ will bolt right up.

I hot a 2006 CRD with 180k miles complete but auto transmission is shot. I bought it to do the similar swap into JK but never got to it. If you are interested, I can sell it to you. I also bought a 1nd transmission, an engine re ring kit, timing belt, water pump, tensioner etc.
At one stage I was thinking to use I 6 speed manual JK and bought the clutch and flywheel kit from Europe $750 dollars. The CRD 2.8 is straight nokt on to the NSG370 transmission as per my research in the past few years.
Let me know the thoughts or if you know any one interested. I am based on Ontario just east of Toronto. 9054240907. Thanks

Definitely love the idea of that motor paired to a manual transmission. I still have dreams of a TJ6 diesel. 💪🏽