VM 2.8 turbo diesel frame-up TJ build

Will be more than happy to provide video of the maiden fire up and yest drive...I'll do you one better...come to sault ste marie and i will let you test it yourself!
Careful what you post on the internet...I'm only about 5 hours away! Better yet, get that thing running by the end of July and meet me on Drummond Island. We'll put it through the paces!

The Liberty cluster will actually fit in the TJ with a little modifying....if you look at page 4 or 5 of this thread you'll see a photo of a Liberty cluster in a TJ.....

Ahhh, that doesn't look bad. I was expecting something much worse, but I've never actually seen a Liberty cluster up close and personal.

You're finally putting that engine somewhere it belongs. I like the CRD, I just hated the Liberty platform in which they put it!

I would just like the throw out that the KJ operates off of PCI bus which is how the computer talks to the gauges. 2001-2006 TJs also operate off of PCI bus. I’m not sure how adamant you are about using the KJ cluster but if you were to put a TJ PCI cluster in it would communicate with your KJ PCM.

It would be a direct fit minus the modifying of the connectors.
Seriously thought about going with a TJ cluster after reading your post last night....then occurred to me that the Liberty diesel cluster has a couple indicator lights that the tj cluster does not....ie: water in the fuel, service fuel filter and glow plug circuit. I have a few ideas that I'm going to play with mounting the Liberty cluster....if they don't look good or are not feasible....then I'll go with the TJ cluster....

Seriously thought about going with a TJ cluster after reading your post last night....then occurred to me that the Liberty diesel cluster has a couple indicator lights that the tj cluster does not....ie: water in the fuel, service fuel filter and glow plug circuit. I have a few ideas that I'm going to play with mounting the Liberty cluster....if they don't look good or are not feasible....then I'll go with the TJ cluster....
I thought about that too. I imagined there would be some extra electronics pertaining to the diesel. Just thought I would throw it out there if you wanted to keep it factory looking 🙂

Reactions: Mike Alfano
If you know Some electronics and have some trial and error time you can probably wire up an Arduino to listen to the can bus and provide the missing lights. You might have a student interested in figuring this out.

If that is an option for you, shoot me a message and I can point you in the right direction and help design the circuits and software if needed.

If you know Some electronics and have some trial and error time you can probably wire up an Arduino to listen to the can bus and provide the missing lights. You might have a student interested in figuring this out.

If that is an option for you, shoot me a message and I can point you in the right direction and help design the circuits and software if needed.
Thanks, appreciate the offer of assistance....too late to start that this year as we only have about 20 working days left. I thinks we're gonna try something radical with the dash....I took some measurements today and I think it's gonna work.....To be honest, I like the look of the liberty dash better than the tj….so what we're going to attempt is to cut up the tj dash and splice in the center section of the liberty dash.…

If it doesn't work for some reason....then back to stock I will go....have a line on another dash if we screw it up..... stay tuned...and thanks again...

Thanks, appreciate the offer of assistance....too late to start that this year as we only have about 20 working days left. I thinks we're gonna try something radical with the dash....I took some measurements today and I think it's gonna work.....To be honest, I like the look of the liberty dash better than the tj….so what we're going to attempt is to cut up the tj dash and splice in the center section of the liberty dash.…

If it doesn't work for some reason....then back to stock I will go....have a line on another dash if we screw it up..... stay tuned...and thanks again...
Okay! Keep me posted! I'm all for getting students into STEAM and/or fostering love for software and hardware. Otherwise I'll just watch this thread. A diesel is my plan once my 4.0 gives up.

Got the fuel filter bracket welded on....the filter is awefully close to the brake booster but it isn't touching it...running 3/8" copper-nickel fuel feed line and stainless 5/16" return line. Also just about finished the modifications to the skid plate so that it will accept the Liberty's tranny mount. Wish I had two more months!

20190521_145738.jpg

Damn, you're doing the entire Liberty dash!? Wow, this is shaping up to me one hell of a cool TJ build.

You sure you want to run that line between the control arms? Seems like the upper control arm might hit it under full droop

I was thinking the same thing. I'd probably route it over the top of that control arm bracket just to be safe.

At the risk of sounding snobby or like an ass...I don't know that I'd use the whole center section of the Libby dash. I think I'd try to incorporate the radio and Climate control into the TJ center stack. The round vents in the center and the rectangle vents in the outer dash drive would drive my OCD Crazy!

Just me though...If you don't mind, good on ya. Its such a cool project as it is.