VM 2.8 turbo diesel frame-up TJ build

At the risk of sounding snobby or like an ass...I don't know that I'd use the whole center section of the Libby dash. I think I'd try to incorporate the radio and Climate control into the TJ center stack. The round vents in the center and the rectangle vents in the outer dash drive would drive my OCD Crazy!

Just me though...If you don't mind, good on ya. Its such a cool project as it is.
The radio and climate controls wouldn't fit in the tj center stack....

Got the dash harness from the Liberty installed into the TJ along with the dash.....took a bit of work to get the Liberty cluster to fit nicely into the TJ, but I think we got it!! We also got the fuel system done...from tank to engine....it's complete and ready for fuel. We're stuck on hold waiting for the rest of the body parts...tried to crank the engine over with the key but it won't crank...scanned for codes and it gives me a P0513 code (key immobilizer problem).....does anybody on this site know where I can send the pcm to delete the immobilizer??

20190606_125304.jpg

20190606_124346.jpg

Damn this thing is coming together nicely!

I have to say, I'm very, very impressed. You definitely have one cool TJ on your hands here.

This makes me want to go buy a Liberty CRD and start tearing it apart!

Reactions: Mike Alfano
Damn this thing is coming together nicely!

I have to say, I'm very, very impressed. You definitely have one cool TJ on your hands here.

This makes me want to go buy a Liberty CRD and start tearing it apart!
Thanks chris...I can't tell you how happy I am with how this project is turning out. Students are doing a great job...very proud of them.....I'm the coach but they are the team that is assembling this Jeep! We actually fired it up on Friday and she sounded awesome! Can't post the video because there are students faces in the video......will take another video before school lets out though...

Reactions: JLLJ and Chris
Thanks chris...I can't tell you how happy I am with how this project is turning out. Students are doing a great job...very proud of them.....I'm the coach but they are the team that is assembling this Jeep! We actually fired it up on Friday and she sounded awesome! Can't post the video because there are students faces in the video......will take another video before school lets out though...

I don't blame you! This is definitely one of the most exciting TJ builds I've seen in a long time. First time I've seen a Liberty CRD engine end up in a TJ. I like that you're using all the Liberty parts too. I imagine that makes it easier to some degree.

Once all is said and done, you'll have a TJ that you can actually get some decent MPG out of, especially with one of those Green Diesel Engineering tunes!

I don't blame you! This is definitely one of the most exciting TJ builds I've seen in a long time. First time I've seen a Liberty CRD engine end up in a TJ. I like that you're using all the Liberty parts too. I imagine that makes it easier to some degree.

Once all is said and done, you'll have a TJ that you can actually get some decent MPG out of, especially with one of those Green Diesel Engineering tunes!
Having a donor vehicle does indeed make it much easier and saves tons of cash....

I have his Eco Tune on my Liberty and can attest to how good it is. I went from 20.5 mpg to 28 mpg average. I would buy that tune again in a heart beat!!! My best is 31.8 going to Norfolk with cruise control on 60mph the entire way!

I have his Eco Tune on my Liberty and can attest to how good it is. I went from 20.5 mpg to 28 mpg average. I would buy that tune again in a heart beat!!! My best is 31.8 going to Norfolk with cruise control on 60mph the entire way!

Damn, that's good to hear! I wanted a Liberty CRD for so long, I just couldn't get past the ugly looks of the Liberty. I wish they had put that engine in anything but the Liberty (and they did, just not in the U.S.).

I'm hoping for 30mpg....this doner had the egr deleted too...not sure if it has a tune though

Reactions: Chris
Okay! Keep me posted! I'm all for getting students into STEAM and/or fostering love for software and hardware. Otherwise I'll just watch this thread. A diesel is my plan once my 4.0 gives up.
If you're serious about swapping out your 4.0L for a diesel, keep on the lookout for a CRD Liberty....its an easy swap and the manual transmission in the TJ will bolt right up.

Is it really an easy swap? I would really like to put a diesel in my LJ, I was looking at the Cummins and the Axis kit for it, but $20,000 is the price tag and that is with me doing all the labor.

Is it really an easy swap? I would really like to put a diesel in my LJ, I was looking at the Cummins and the Axis kit for it, but $20,000 is the price tag and that is with me doing all the labor.
The swap is really easy....hardest part is fabricating motor mounts and running wire harnesses but neither is very difficult.....and timing is perfect for finding a cheap liberty crd....i live in a town of 75,000 people and found two libby diesels and got them for 1200 each....before i bought either of them i called a local salvage yard and they wanted 2500 just for the engine.....when our build is complete im going to post a list of parts and procedured required to do this swap....i also have tons more pics that i would be willing to share....find a liberty!

I’ve been looking for VW TDI engines, the CRD seems to be harder to find at a decent price around here. Maybe by the time I’m actually ready to swap they will pop up.
Very cool build

This build is an inspiration, And thank you Mike for taking time and sharing it with everyone. i came across a 2006 liberty crd at salvage auction last winter and bought it thinking i would fix the front end collision damage it had and be able to drive it but i soon realized I was not excited about the fact that it was a liberty, and was only excited about the powertrain in it. last week i bought a really clean Mj and ready to start the swap, i joined this forum just to be able to follow your progress and become inspired and learn from you