VM 2.8 turbo diesel frame-up TJ build

Motor mounts lined up and tacked in.....more measurements in the morning then weld them solid! Can"t wait to get engine in.

20190502_145356.jpg

20190502_144629.jpg

20190502_143809.jpg

A bit off subject, but what battery specs are suggested for the VM 2.8 ie CCA? Is it grid heated? Do you have a block heater for it?

Reactions: RustyAutoholicGuy
The CCA stuff isn't a big deal, just kinda wondering about starting. The Cummins recommended something like 900 CCA minimum I believe. Also with you being in Canada, I figured you had more experience with cold starts. Sub 10F where I'm at only happens a few times a year.

We finally have the jeep sitting on 4 wheels. Going to try to wrap up the fuel lines by tomorrow so we can put the body back on the frame. Machine shop student is making a mounting bracket for the fuel filter head, which is going on the inboard side of the brake booster. I ordered a box of stainless steel self tapping screws to mount the many harnesses that have to go in this thing. I'm hoping to have the fenders and grille in next week....really want to start installing the rest of the under hood wiring harnesses and the fenders and grille need to be in place.

20190516_104021.jpg

20190516_104037.jpg

Wow! I'm just now stumbling on this thread, this is absolutely fantastic. What a wonderful experience for these students!

Are autoshop classes like this still typical across Canada? Unfortunately many of them have gone by the wayside here in the States. I remember mine shut down in my senior year in highschool, and that was in the mid 90's. @Mike Alfano you are providing these youngsters a great experience and education!

Hey,

thanks for the kind words...the students in my two auto classes are really enjoying this build. Auto classes in Canada are still around but are limited by what the teacher is willing, or unwilling to do. You can teach this class out of a text book but in my opinion, that's doing a dis-service to the students....real hands on work is the only real way to learn this trade.....thanks for looking and keep checking in on our progress.

thanks,
Mike.

Engine went in with no clearance problems of any kind....glad to have it finally in place. A student also fabricated and installed a bracket to hole the electronic gas pedal....Next step will be to install the skid plate and transmission mount.

View attachment 92406

View attachment 92407
Wow, look at the clearance on that oil pan. Or is that an optical illusion? You know, we require video (not Pic's) when you fire this thing up and when you drop it in gear for the first time? @Chris will delete any pic's of that scenario!

Wow, look at the clearance on that oil pan. Or is that an optical illusion? You know, we require video (not Pic's) when you fire this thing up and when you drop it in gear for the first time? @Chris will delete any pic's of that scenario!
Will be more than happy to provide video of the maiden fire up and yest drive...I'll do you one better...come to sault ste marie and i will let you test it yourself!

I have to say, this is going to end up being one hell of a cool Wrangler. I can't wait to hear how it runs and drive.

You said you're using the Liberty gauge cluster right? How are you going to fit that in the dash without looking odd?

Reactions: Mike Alfano
I have to say, this is going to end up being one hell of a cool Wrangler. I can't wait to hear how it runs and drive.

You said you're using the Liberty gauge cluster right? How are you going to fit that in the dash without looking odd?
The Liberty cluster will actually fit in the TJ with a little modifying....if you look at page 4 or 5 of this thread you'll see a photo of a Liberty cluster in a TJ.....

Reactions: RustyAutoholicGuy
I would just like the throw out that the KJ operates off of PCI bus which is how the computer talks to the gauges. 2001-2006 TJs also operate off of PCI bus. I’m not sure how adamant you are about using the KJ cluster but if you were to put a TJ PCI cluster in it would communicate with your KJ PCM.

It would be a direct fit minus the modifying of the connectors.