Walkie-Talkies or Handheld CBs?

You left out a key piece of information... while VHF radios like that work well, they can't communicate with CB radios that operate on the HF band and it is CB that 99% of Jeeps with radios run. Most organized 4x4 events use nothing but CB too.

I have a VHF ham radio in my TJ but it rarely gets used when compared to my CB. If you go out wheeling with nothing but that VHF radio you won't be able to communicate with most wheelers. By all means run a VHF ham radio if you want but I'd install the CB first if you want to talk with the most wheelers. Then get a ham radio installed.

As said I am a general class ham (N6TAY) but if I had to pick just one radio to have in my Jeep it'd be the CB which is a far more common and popular radio for offroading and Jeeping. I use my Jeep's CB probably 100 times for every time I use my ham radio while offroading.

You can see my VHF 2 meter ham radio (top) and CB (bottom) up in post #22 above.

Keep in mind you can have the coolest latest technology but it's not a good choice if it can't communicate with what most offroaders and Jeepers use when going offroad which is CB. Which actually works very well for this kind of use.

And while it's true a CB can only transmit with 4 watts, that's enough to communicate for several miles and more than that in most conditions.

Get into a large 4x4 event without a CB and you'll wish you had one.

Depends on what your local clubs run, Jerry. AZ's largest Jeep club runs both CB and VHF. I've never had a problem.

I agree CB is probably still more common, but I don't agree that VHF/UHF is uncommon.

The world of VHF/UHF is another option for OP to consider - not the only option.

Depends on what your local clubs run, Jerry. AZ's largest Jeep club runs both CB and VHF. I've never had a problem.

I agree CB is probably still more common, but I don't agree that VHF/UHF is uncommon.
Exactly, CB is (far) more common. Not to mention that just because your local Jeep club uses both CB and VHF, not all do. Most run CBs, not many run VHF.

That is why, even though I have a ham radio license, I still strongly recommend installing the less expensive CB radio first, not to mention it doesn't require a license to operate. Then after studying and passing the ham radio test (easy) to get the required license, then get a VHF ham radio as a second radio.

A VHF as the only radio would not be a good way to go for a first radio.

Last edited:
Reactions: matkal
One group I run with uses CB’s, I like them and for the price it’s great to keep in touch with people on the trails. The oft her group I run with all have those baofeng radios. So I also have one of them, just not sure on how to use it as well, but it works really good. I keep both in my Jeep, but usually prefer the CB mainly because I’m used to it.

I primarily run a CB for vehicle to vehicle communications.

I also have rugged radios to communicate with a spotter or a non CB equipped rig.

I also use a Garmin inReach mini for when shit hits the fan and I need a chopper in the middle of nowhere, hasn’t happened yet

Acquire what you need to be effective with who you jeep with!
you don't really have choices, you have 3 radios to get...
1. CB hand held to start.
2. FRS easier and quieter!
3. Ham radio, ability to talk to the world or your bud 300' in front of you!

Do these in the order as they serve your intrests!

Don't ask those you talk to on the forum, talk to those you jeep with!
When you need specifics, talk to me or a dozen other well informed people on this forum!

Most important, enjoy your jeep community!

Study and perfect what you know and share it!

don't be a sheep, be a Leader!

What do you know well enough to teach?
More than you may think!

don't be a sheep, be a Leader!

Wait... if I be a leader... wouldnt I also be a sheep for following your directions?
;)

Btw...having a portable ham radio can be viewed as more of an emergency radio, since iys ranger far surpasses a CB, and is more reliable in canyons ans what nots.

Good idea to have both.

Reactions: Jeepn_Texas
Wait... if I be a leader... wouldnt I also be a sheep for following your directions?
;)

Btw...having a portable ham radio can be viewed as more of an emergency radio, since iys ranger far surpasses a CB, and is more reliable in canyons ans what nots.

Good idea to have both.

No, you are capitalizing on the knowledge of someone else,
I do not lead, I make others able to be leaders!
We need a crap ton more of those!
Lots and lots of sheep out there.