Wandering steering

Tzerambo

TJ Enthusiast
So I have just installed a rough country 2.5 lift just shocks and springs and I also had new ball joints, drag link, tie rod ends, and sway bar connects installed, then I had 33/12.50 15 bf ko2s Installed. then right after I had an alignment done but now while driving my Jeep it is all over the road, but I don’t have a wobble anymore what could this be? I’ve read that it could be something called bump steering but it doesn’t really occur when I’m hitting bumps it kinda just happens all the time. What can I do to fix this?

What tire pressure are you running? What’s your toe? And can you please upload a picture of the steering system (a decent picture straight on the front end from a fairly low angle may be enough).

Reactions: reddvltj
What tire pressure are you running? What’s your toe? And can you please upload a picture of the steering system (a decent picture straight on the front end from a fairly low angle may be enough).
I just got new bfs last week from discount tire and they read 37 psi. And I’m not sure what the toe is. Also ignore the rust on the ole girl 😂😂

D88A475B-A5FC-482E-ABBA-3C5FEE57567F.jpeg

37psi is way too high and could be making the ride more jittery than it should be. Try maybe 20-25 psi.

It would be good to know your toe-in because not having enough could severely affect the wandering.
I had my alignment done at a local Matlock tire I wonder if I could call them and ask them what the toe in is because it was only a week ago that it was done.

Definitely drop your tire pressure to 25-28 psi. then drive it again. If its still wandering I would be curious what your toe and caster angle is. The alignment shop should have gave you a print out with your invoice.

Definitely drop your tire pressure to 25-28 psi. then drive it again. If its still wandering I would be curious what your toe and caster angle is. The alignment shop should have gave you a print out with your invoice.
Yeah Im definitely gonna drop it in the morning and see how it rides. And no they just gave me an invoice but I’m going to call and ask if they can check it again if lowering the psi doesn’t help.

What did you drop it down to? And what size tires are you running?

about 25. It took a couple tries. I lowered it to 23 and then raised to 28 and then dropped to 25.

I am running 35” tires. I’m going to go to 33s whenever these wear out.

How much better does it ride now that it’s at 25?

For me the difference between 35 and 25 is at 25 I can ride in it all day. at 35 I won't make it more than 2-3 blocks before I pull over and lower it so 25.

Reactions: Tzerambo
How much better does it ride now that it’s at 25?

Quite a bit. It was far less bouncy. Much more smooth, but still not like a sedan. I’m following your thread to see what other issues to inspect. Hopefully, I can help with improving your ride as well.

Reactions: Tzerambo
For me the difference between 35 and 25 is at 25 I can ride in it all day. at 35 I won't make it more than 2-3 blocks before I pull over and lower it so 25.
😂😂😂 yeah it is definitely very annoying to be all over the road. It’s crazy how the little difference of psi can affect it so much.

Caster and pinion angle are a trade off. you want as much caster as you can have without driveshaft vibes. 4.5 isn't horrible but if it can be increased without vibes it will be better.

Are you unhappy with the way your jeep tracks and the steering returns to center? If your not unhappy there is no point messing with it.