Wandering steering

what should the toe be?

As others said, 1/16” (Max 1/8”). Castor shouldn’t matter as much for the wondering as far as I’m aware, that’s mostly about “return to center”. I like my 33” KO2s at 26psi, higher definitely felt more darty as my tire size has increased.

The trackbar/drag link look to be pretty close, so I don’t think it’s bump steer and I’d start with the toe+pressure.

Quite a bit. It was far less bouncy. Much more smooth, but still not like a sedan. I’m following your thread to see what other issues to inspect. Hopefully, I can help with improving your ride as well.
thank you I’m somewhat new to having a Jeep so there’s definitely a lot to learn with the tjs because they are very finicky.

For the record I threw out 5.5-7 degrees because OP has a 2.5" lift so that should definitely be achievable. at higher lift heights you may not be able to get 5.5 degrees without vibes.

Reactions: Tzerambo
Quite a bit. It was far less bouncy. Much more smooth, but still not like a sedan. I’m following your thread to see what other issues to inspect. Hopefully, I can help with improving your ride as well.
Caster and pinion angle are a trade off. you want as much caster as you can have without driveshaft vibes. 4.5 isn't horrible but if it can be increased without vibes it will be better.

Are you unhappy with the way your jeep tracks and the steering returns to center? If your not unhappy there is no point messing with it.
So if I lower the psi to 25 is it going to wear the tread unevenly?

So if I lower the psi to 25 is it going to wear the tread unevenly?

No it will wear much worse at 37. Tire shops always put way too much pressure in jeep tires. Jeeps are light. Stock tires and stock pressure was only 30 psi. At the tire gets larger you lower the pressure for the same load.

Reactions: Tzerambo
No it will wear much worse at 37. Tire shops always put way too much pressure in jeep tires. Jeeps are light. Stock tires and stock pressure was only 30 psi. At the tire gets larger you lower the pressure for the same load.
Okay good I’m gonna go lower it right now actually and see how much better it rides

Yeah I lowered it to about 26 and it definitely helped quite a bit. But do you think it would help to get a beefier steering dampener?

Yeah I lowered it to about 26 and it definitely helped quite a bit. But do you think it would help to get a beefier steering dampener?

No I don’t. A stock replacement is as good as a damper will get. Monroe, rancho, etc... also you only need 1 not 2.

Reactions: rasband
When I was a fresh mechanic decades ago, our shop owner intentionally did not perform front end alignments. He said, to do it correctly takes longer than most people want to pay for. Customers compare price to tire shops that crank it out in 15 minutes and would wonder why we charged much more. As we were always maxed out on available bay space, we left that business to others. I am not going to disparage the garage you used, but I do think it is much easier to find shops that do it wrong rather than shops that do it correctly. Same goes with balancing. Also in my experience, most tire shops always put too much air in our larger tires which just shows they don't understand the requirements. I have the same tire size as you and 25lbs is my sweet spot. A few pounds lower or higher is immediately noticeable. I think most tire shops have minimally qualified mechanics with limited experience and a crash course on how to use the tire machine, balancer and alignment rack from a tire guy who has been employed a few weeks longer than the newbie.

Yesturdae I wanted too bee a tire changer. Todae eye are won.

Most tire and alignment shops employ minimum wage or slightly above minimum wage kids. How do I know? I worked at them when I met that criteria.

Most tire and alignment shops employ minimum wage or slightly above minimum wage kids. How do I know? I worked at them when I met that criteria.

I let firestone do my alignment once (paid for the “lifetime alignment”). Let’s just say at $90 I got what I paid for and learned to do it at home. It takes about 20 minutes for a TJ.

I let firestone do my alignment once (paid for the “lifetime alignment”). Let’s just say at $90 I got what I paid for and learned to do it at home. It takes about 20 minutes for a TJ.

I too have a lifetime with Firestone but for me its easier to just set the toe myself than wait for them to do it. At the time I didn't have the space to do it myself unless I wanted to do it on a city street.

Reactions: rasband
I too have a lifetime with Firestone but for me its easier to just set the toe myself than wait for them to do it. At the time I didn't have the space to do it myself unless I wanted to do it on a city street.

Mine was a parallel parking spot by my apartment! This was a ujoint replacement before we finally got a garage.

3137E8CF-BBD4-402E-98E3-45F130244FCA.jpeg

No I don’t. A stock replacement is as good as a damper will get. Monroe, rancho, etc... also you only need 1 not 2.
Well right now I have a cheap autozone one thag I bought while I used to have a death wobble so it might be warn out and would it help to get like a teriflex or something instead of the cheap auto zone one?

Caster and pinion angle are a trade off. you want as much caster as you can have without driveshaft vibes. 4.5 isn't horrible but if it can be increased without vibes it will be better.

Are you unhappy with the way your jeep tracks and the steering returns to center? If your not unhappy there is no point messing with it.
[/QUOTE

I learned this year more caster makes the steering feel heavier, and somewhat more "sure" feeling if that means anything. It's important, as well as a little cross caster, as in .2 degrees higher on the right.