Wandering Steering

2005LJR

Ever since I updated my steering in my LJ to the PSC big bore steering gear, and new steering shaft, I have been having issues with the jeep wandering with a good bit of play in the steering wheel. I have determined that there is a good bit of play in the steering box itself. The whole setup has probably around 30k on it, and my ball joints and track bar are fairly new. I am on 33s and stock Rubicon 44s. Any ideas as to what it may be?

Wandering steering is often, if not usually, an alignment issue. Incorrect toe-in or insufficient caster angle. When is the last time you checked/adjusted your toe-in? You can easily do that at home with nothing more than a tape measure, wrench, and a big set of pliers.

Wandering steering is often, if not usually, an alignment issue. Incorrect toe-in or insufficient caster angle. When is the last time you checked/adjusted your toe-in? You can easily do that at home with nothing more than a tape measure, wrench, and a big set of pliers.
That is definitely something I will try, but I still have visible play at the input shaft of the steering box. Maybe an issue I need to take up with PSC?

You can try to tighten the box up (the jam nut/set screw)but thats usually a band aid for a bigger issue that's not fixable but by the manufacturer.

Ask psc on Monday. Unless they tell you to adjust that no problem I think your box might have had it. Unfortunately.

If you wish to try tightening the box...loosen jam nut while holding set screw with Allen wrench. Once loose move set screw clock wise a small amount. 1/8 turn to start. Tughten jam nut and test.

The mfg might tell you don't dare touch that set screw.

Let us know what they say.

How did you do your swap? Did you modify your lower steering shaft or did you replace it with the 97-02 lower shaft?
When I did my swap I changed the hoses and steering shaft to the early TJ parts.
I couldn't get an oem lower steering shaft so I opted for the Crown unit.
The crown unit fit like shit at the box.
With the lower steering shaft bolt tightened the splines were still loose and it looked like the box had play in it.

Last edited:
How did you do your swap? Did you modify your lower steering shaft or did you replace it with the 97-02 lower shaft?
When I did my swap I changed the hoses and steering shaft to the early TJ parts.
With the lower steering shaft bolt tightened the shaft was still loose on the steering box.
Thanks for that. I had hopes they may be a source for the lower shaft but not much knowing how they do things. Saved me the trouble of finding out the hard way.

Thanks for that. I had hopes they may be a source for the lower shaft but not much knowing how they do things. Saved me the trouble of finding out the hard way

I removed the shaft and opened the gap up a little with a grinder.
Crowns stuff is hit or miss.
I purchased a replacement body mount kit of theirs, it was complete and good quality.

With the lower steering shaft bolt tightened the splines were still loose and it looked like the box had play in it.
I replaced the shaft with the 97-02 one. Truthfully it has given me more issues than just modifying mine.