Want thoughts on this JK for possible purchase

I hear you. I would look for 2012+ models, just be aware that the 2012 models had cylinder head issues on some (not all) of them. The power improvement of the 3.6 versus the 3.8 is very noticeable as well. I've driven both and the 3.6 is a must IMHO.

I also did ask if I could take it to my mechanic to have it looked at/evaluated to see what they would say. They said I could and actually were going to let me drive it home tonight so I could drive it to work in the morning to have it checked out. I would've definitely done that when I saw leaks. Now that I have more information from you guys, I'm going to pass on that. Pass on the vehicle itself.

I'm going to look at this one next its a 2013 with 119,000 on it. They want 20,900. A friend sent the pics to me.
IMG_04201.jpg
IMG_04371.jpg

That JK is a hard pass. Like others stated you don’t want to own any JK pre 2012. You can find better for sure just going on cargurus and autotrader and spending maybe an hour of your time.
That Sahara is awesome tho! My future in laws have a Black Sahara similar to that but not 19k miles! Wow it sold huh? I love the rubicons, but I suppose if I found the right Sahara like that I could live with it lol

True. I have two friends and took each of them over a year of searching before they found the right one. That's why I'm searching now. Son turns 16 in 6 months so starting now. Not set on making a sudden deal/purchase although good time of year to buy because the dealerships don't want to pay taxes but I'm not going to make a rash purchase.

I also did ask if I could take it to my mechanic to have it looked at/evaluated to see what they would say. They said I could and actually were going to let me drive it home tonight so I could drive it to work in the morning to have it checked out. I would've definitely done that when I saw leaks. Now that I have more information from you guys, I'm going to pass on that. Pass on the vehicle itself.

I'm going to look at this one next its a 2013 with 119,000 on it. They want 20,900. A friend sent the pics to me.View attachment 68507View attachment 68508
Better choice indeed. The grille is an easy fix as someone else mentioned ;)

Lol....can't you just find a TJ ?

I'm still looking. The same friend that put me on to that 2013 shown above is also checking with someone he knows that has a 1999 TJ well taken care of with the 4.0L I6.

I didn't think I would want a JK but with the family liking the 4 door and actually looking at one and being inside it tonight I kind of like it. I also feel it would be better since there is five of us with one still in a car seat.

Overall it will be the best Jeep for the right price. The quest continues.

Yeah the "angry grill" seems to be a point of contention with a lot of Jeep owners as one of the worst Jeep mods.
yes we could start a whole new thread on just that alone haha ....its a love or hate them thing. lol...why change the one iconic thing that is unmistakable J-E-E-P

yes we could start a whole new thread on just that alone haha ....its a love or hate them thing. lol...why change the one iconic thing that is unmistakable J-E-E-P

Lol, I watched a video on the worse Jeep mods and that is exactly what they were saying. That is the distinctive part about the Jeep - THE GRILL!

The angry grill and god bless them the ones that put the dag gum eye lashes on the headlights. Why? Just why?

Reactions: Kiwi TJ
I'm still looking. The same friend that put me on to that 2013 shown above is also checking with someone he knows that has a 1999 TJ well taken care of with the 4.0L I6.

I didn't think I would want a JK but with the family liking the 4 door and actually looking at one and being inside it tonight I kind of like it. I also feel it would be better since there is five of us with one still in a car seat.

Overall it will be the best Jeep for the right price. The quest continues.

Well with that being said out loud if everyone is going to be happy with a JK then im sure you be will also!!![/QUOTE]

If this is your daily driver a JKU is way better than even an LJ (in terms of capacity only) I had a 2012 JKU and even though we are a family of 4 (teenage kids) it still does not have a bunch of room compared to other suv or a dreaded minivan.

Reactions: Starrs
If this is your daily driver a JKU is way better than even an LJ (in terms of capacity only) I had a 2012 JKU and even though we are a family of 4 (teenage kids) it still does not have a bunch of room compared to other suv or a dreaded minivan.

Ah, yes there is a minivan in the driveway. The wife's daily driver. Since I have a work car, this will be in the driveway until the boy gets his license. I will drive it when I need to do something since the work car is only to and from work and no personal use. But still want to put the top down and put the family in it to get around on the weekend weather permitting.

Ah, yes there is a minivan in the driveway. The wife's daily driver. Since I have a work car, this will be in the driveway until the boy gets his license. I will drive it when I need to do something since the work car is only to and from work and no personal use. But still want to put the top down and put the family in it to get around on the weekend weather permitting.
Then I would zero in on a TJ or LJ....Much easier to work on especially if you want your children to help and learn.