Want to install lockers but not sure what to order

I firmly believe this is a shipping/ packaging issue on Eaton's part rather than manufacturing/ QC. When my E-Lockers showed up via UPS, I recall the Eaton boxes being pretty beat up. It was obvious that the lockers had been tumbling around inside the boxes for quite a few highway miles. It's almost like Eaton only has one size box for these things and it's made to fit a Dana 80 differential. So they throw some Dana 30/ Dana 35 units inside the same box and neglect to add any additional cushioning to take up the extra space.

It would be smarter on Eaton's part to ship the units with the stator rings removed from the differential and packaged by itself. The vast majority of us doing the install are removing the stator right away in order to set-up the gears. This prevents the magnet from being damaged/ wires pinched when the diff goes in and our of the housing a dozen times. It isn't until final install (after the gear pattern has been set) that the stator gets put back onto the differential. Seems like it would save Eaton a bunch of warranty headaches and their customers a lot of time and hassle...
If the diff is banging around in the box. A separately packaged stator in the box risks damage.
My 44 came packaged with nice stiff cardboard retainers holding the diff in place.

If the diff is banging around in the box. A separately packaged stator in the box risks damage.
My 44 came packaged with nice stiff cardboard retainers holding the diff in place.
Well, if Eaton would go thru the trouble to remove the stator for separate packaging, one could only hope they'd also keep it protected during shipping. I thought that would have been obvious?

Are you referring to an E-locker for your Dana 44? Or something else?

I fretted over this decision for way longer than necessary and went with elocker. I’m sure ARB would’ve be just fine but figured I’d save a little with not getting the compressor. I do think the unlocking is a real factor especially for the hardcore folks, but that ain’t me so I’m good with it.
Non issue

Reactions: Bsulzberger
Do you recall the condition of those anti-rotation tabs when you did the install? I remember there being a specific note in the instructions about adjusting the tabs to ensure free-play in the magnet after the installation. That may have been the time to notice if anything was awry? Maybe cracked or weak spot welds?
img_0601-jpg.jpg

Had the same issue with one of my e-lockers (note that this is my 4th over the years). I believe it to be more related to their packaging than a weldment issue. One of my previous Dana 44 E-lockers that shipped to me had both tabs broken off. The box that it came in was broken and falling apart from the inside. The Dana 30 locker above also had semi-damaged packaging (again, damaged from the inside-out) but I didn't notice any damage as I was adjusting the tabs. Apparently there was some, since they got sheared off the first time running the locker. To their credit, Eaton next-day air shipped me a replacement part and I was back at it in no time (sans the 3 hours it took me to replace it).

63994960684__1AA7314C-F4C9-4CC4-95A4-1E2849340371.JPG

A friend of mine had his TrueTrac shipped to my house last week and this is how it arrived... in a box, inside a larger box, with a carrier literally rolling around on the inside. There was NO evidence of damage on the outer box. This matches exactly what I noted previously...

Eaton - and let me just say I hope there is an Eaton representative that reads this - your packing is worse than what I would imagine a mentally-retarded, one-armed, six-fingered, double-blind ape would design...

I seriously don't know what kind of fumes or drugs their package designers are on to think that a 20 pound, top-heavy hunk of metal can be adequately secured and shipped inside two thin pieces of cardboard and a single thin layer of tape, but it must be some reeeeeeaaly good shit.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: SvtLdr and rasband
I would avoid any locker which automatically (involuntarily) unlocks while backing. Realizing that my ARBs quickly locked when I had to back up on just the two left wheels to prevent a roll over saved my life. Except for that incident, I'm not a fan of ARBs. However, if they are the only locker which will lock regardless when you push the button, I'd still get 'em. Just gotta decide the kind of devil you want to deal with.

View attachment 245851

Had the same issue with one of my e-lockers (note that this is my 6th over the years). I believe it to be more related to their packaging than a weldment issue. One of my previous Dana 44 E-lockers that shipped to me had both tabs broken off. The box that it came in was broken and falling apart from the inside. The Dana 30 locker above also had semi-damaged packaging (again, damaged from the inside-out) but I didn't notice any damage as I was adjusting the tabs. Apparently there was some, since they got sheared off the first time running the locker. To their credit, Eaton next-day air shipped me a replacement part and I was back at it in no time (sans the 3 hours it took me to replace it).

View attachment 245850

A friend of mine had his TrueTrac shipped to my house last week and this is how it arrived... in a box, inside a larger box, with a carrier literally rolling around on the inside. There was NO evidence of damage on the outer box. This matches exactly what I noted previously...

Eaton - and let me just say I hope there is an Eaton representative that reads this - your packing is worse than what I would imagine a mentally-retarded, one-armed, six-fingered, double-blind ape would design...

I seriously don't know what kind of fumes or drugs their package designers are on to think that a 20 pound, top-heavy hunk of metal can be adequately secured and shipped inside two thin pieces of cardboard and a single thin layer of tape, but it must be some reeeeeeaaly good shit.
At least it isn't a highly expensive part. Buddy bought a Tru-hi 9 Third member loaded with gears and an ARB. The copper air line was shipped uninstalled. Couldn't figure that one out until we got the box all the way open. 120 lbs of steel tossed into an Amazon box and newspaper used for packing. Seriously? Almost 3 grand for something and they can't spend 6 bucks on a good box?

• Wow
  • Face Palm
Reactions: SvtLdr and pc1p
I would avoid any locker which automatically (involuntarily) unlocks while backing. Realizing that my ARBs quickly locked when I had to back up on just the two left wheels to prevent a roll over saved my life. Except for that incident, I'm not a fan of ARBs. However, if they are the only locker which will lock regardless when you push the button, I'd still get 'em. Just gotta decide the kind of devil you want to deal with.
Are you telling us that had your rear axle been unlocked as you backed up, that you would've rolled over and would now be dead?

I'm not making light of your scenario, just trying to understand the gravity here.

If you watch the video, the locking ramp that moves the pins to shove the lock ring over is ramped both directions and it is only unlocked for a very short distance if you switch rotation. It isn't involuntary, it is very methodical.

Reactions: pc1p and SvtLdr
trying to understand the gravity here.
The gravity would have been fully understood at the bottom of the drop. I would have most likely died or been paralyzed for life if I did not have the ability to lock both axles to reverse, stabilizing the vehicle. Never realized that some lockers unlock regardless when going into reverse. I would not like that. Going into reverse to free up a locker is a different matter.

The gravity would have been fully understood at the bottom of the drop. I would have most likely died or been paralyzed for life if I did not have the ability to lock both axles to reverse, stabilizing the vehicle. Never realized that some lockers unlock regardless when going into reverse. I would not like that. Going into reverse to free up a locker is a different matter.
You must have been going down hill and needed to go in reverse uphill, is what I'm guessing here.