Wanted: new seats (but not stupid expensive)

penk

TJ Enthusiast
Hey everyone. My TJ is going to become my daily ride for a while, and it's in great shape and is awesome, the seats have definitely taken on that musty-old-foam smell. They're still originals (from 2000, 18 years old!), and I'm sure they've gotten wet, and dry-rotted, and god knows what else (I've only had Ol Yeller for about 2.5 years).

I'd like to replace all the seats (front 2 and rear bench). I really like PRB's Daily Drivers, but I absolutely need recliners (I'm 6'6" tall - need some flexibility), and PRB's dailys are $650... each. Ow.

Can anyone recommend a source for good quality front seats and rear seat that won't kill my wallet, but are still safe? Thanks!

Do you have Misch brackets? I'm 6'6 and they're a life saver.

Interesting, no I don't. But I don't need more legroom really, it's the headroom that's important. Making a set of brackets like that might be a good metal project though :)

I wish there were something that LOWERED the seats :( But anyway, that's why I need the recliner - so I can see under the top edge of the front windscreen.

Interesting, no I don't. But I don't need more legroom really, it's the headroom that's important. Making a set of brackets like that might be a good metal project though :)

I wish there were something that LOWERED the seats :( But anyway, that's why I need the recliner - so I can see under the top edge of the front windscreen.
I'm in the same boat, at 6'5" my head touches the sound bar.

I have a buddy who put leather Tiberon seats in his tj and they are comfortable and fit well. Head room is about the same as stock.

There must have been a time
when we could have said no.

Reactions: PCO6
I bought a set of Rugged Ridge seats for my wife's XJ (Cherokee), and they were the most uncomfortable things I'd ever sat in/on. They were so bad, we took a different vehicle on our trip because we didn't think we could take the discomfort. I ended up repairing the stock seats, and selling the Rugged Ridge seats at a huge loss. And for what it's worth, it wasn't just me who thought they were terrible. Yes, I'm a big guy, and the seats felt way too narrow for me. But every person who rode in the rig commented on just how miserable the seats were. My daughter, who at the time was under 100 lbs., said it was sitting on a park bench.

My recommendation would be to locate a nicer set of stock seats for your TJ. Or another worn out set, and have them rebuilt/reupholstered, so there's no down time on your rig. For a daily driver, I think you'd be much happier.

My recommendation would be to locate a nicer set of stock seats for your TJ. Or another worn out set, and have them rebuilt/reupholstered, so there's no down time on your rig. For a daily driver, I think you'd be much happier.

Huh! That's an interesting idea. I may even be able to have that done to the seats I have (if I can do this before I lose my other car). Hmmm.

Reactions: Squatch

I'm with you there on headroom, reclining is very important. Mine is a five-speed, I like the extra room those give me. Only (very minor) downside is my shoulder rests against the roll bar since my seat is so far back.

I'm sure folks with the right tools could make them easy, they were expensive pieces of bent steel but 100% worth it to me.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

You need to give us a budget.

A good question. Doing PRP seats would run $350 or so for each front seat, and probably $500 for the back. So we're talking $1000 for replacing all 3 seats no matter how you slice it. If I can keep it around there - or maybe up to $1200? reasonable?

Do you want full on replacement seats, or would be be happy with very good condition OE seats?

Do you need suspension seats?

What’s your preference...cloth, vinyl, leather?

What colors?

Do you need a harness?

Do they need to fold and tumble or just recline?

Do you want full on replacement seats, or would be be happy with very good condition OE seats?

Do you need suspension seats?

What’s your preference...cloth, vinyl, leather?

What colors?

Do you need a harness?

Do they need to fold and tumble or just recline?
Do you want to fill out a questionnaire? LOL ;)

Just messin' with ya, @Serbonze!

I want to try and actually help, rather than just throw out random options. ;)

Just installed leather on my 2000 seats after removing the original cloth. I used a steamer to help reshape the seat foam. If the foam needs repair an upholster can reshape the foam by inserting/gluing proper density foam that shouldn’t be too expensive...
Btw - love the leather now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm in the same boat, at 6'5" my head touches the sound bar.

I have a buddy who put leather Tiberon seats in his tj and they are comfortable and fit well. Head room is about the same as stock.

There must have been a time
when we could have said no.
That would be me and I can confirm that Drizit is a BIG guy and that he fits in my LJ.

picture.jpg

It's a very simple and cost effective job. I'm sure similar seats would work too.
https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/how-to-install-hyundai-tiburon-seats-in-a-jeep-wrangler-tj.2997/

I have my rear seat and belts out of an 04 TJR I'd trade for something or sell for $200. I removed it at 32,000 miles and always had the hard top and doors on so it's in great shape.