Warn 4-pin remote for my 8274

flyinfish

Woke Is A Joke!
Supporting Member
Does anyone have a working Warn 4-pin remote laying around they no longer need? I picked up a Warn 8274 a while back and it doesn't have the remote.

Let me know what you have and what you want for it.

Thanks

8274 #1.jpg

8274 #2.jpg

8274 #3.jpg

8274 #4.jpg

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: JMT
@JMT at least you got a remote with your new to you 9000. :)
Yeah, I was sad to see you had this great winch but no remote. There’s an 8274 for sale here for $850. No idea if it has the remote.

Yeah, I was sad to see you had this great winch but no remote. There’s an 8274 for sale here for $850. No idea if it has the remote.
I don't know why they are so expensive. I know it's a the winch that warn used for decades and is strong.

Reactions: JMT
I found a new one I had in storage but there is the option to update so you can use a newer remote as well that I can help with if anyone wants to go that route.

Is the new remote different? The only times I normally use my wired remote is when I'm respooling my rope. The rest of the time I use my dash controls for the winch.

Reactions: Blackjack
I appreciate that. Blackjack has one and I'll see how that goes first.

I know I can put a newer remote on it, but keeping a 44yr. old winch period correct seems like the right thing to do.

I wouldn't change it up. It works and is simple too. This is my 4th or 5th 8274 I've owned now and I love these old winches. Follow BlackJack's rebuild if you want to do some updates to it also. There are some cool things you can do to these winches to really make them rock. I do have a parts winch if you need anything let me know.

I wouldn't change it up. It works and is simple too. This is my 4th or 5th 8274 I've owned now and I love these old winches. Follow BlackJack's rebuild if you want to do some updates to it also. There are some cool things you can do to these winches to really make them rock. I do have a parts winch if you need anything let me know.
Good advise!
It's times like these when you really understand the power of a good forum. Good people that are willing to help out a fellow jeeper in need. Thanks to all!

Good advise!
It's times like these when you really understand the power of a good forum. Good people that are willing to help out a fellow jeeper in need. Thanks to all!

And wiring in dash switch is super easy too. I used a flat 4 pin trailer wiring so I could unplug the winch easy if I needed to. Having winch controls on your dash IMO is a game changer.

Reactions: flyinfish
This is outside of my original thread title but what the heck, I'm here now. :)

I added a couple pictures that shows some kind of mount that makes removing the winch easier. Maybe for farm use or something like it?

I've never used the winch and bought it at a machinist equipment auction of all places. Since I don't know any history of use, I assume I should pull it apart, inspect and possibly re-grease.

Is the new remote different? The only times I normally use my wired remote is when I'm respooling my rope. The rest of the time I use my dash controls for the winch.
Only real difference is the receptacle at the control pack. The newest remote that Warn uses has a D shaped plug and a rocker switch versus a toggle but they had the foresight enough to make sure it would work on the older round plug. That does give you the advantage of being able to use any newer remote if you have a problem with yours.

Reactions: Wildman
This is outside of my original thread title but what the heck, I'm here now. :)

I added a couple pictures that shows some kind of mount that makes removing the winch easier. Maybe for farm use or something like it?

I've never used the winch and bought it at a machinist equipment auction of all places. Since I don't know any history of use, I assume I should pull it apart, inspect and possibly re-grease.
That is an interesting mount for sure. Couple things to check before you put it into service would be to make sure the brake is not stuck by holding the inner plate and rotating the outer which should move .75" or so. I would also pull the top housing and change the oil. Warn calls for SAE30 but if you have a Truck repair shop near by see if they would give you some Synthetic 50. You only need 8oz.

Your motor cables look a bit old so I will see if I can dig some newer ones up for you. Since @Wildman has a bag of terminal boots hit him up for some.