Warn Contactor Relocation for the XP

Irun

A vicious cycle of doing, undoing, and re-doing!
Supporting Member
Is there a wiring kit available for relocating the Warn XP contactor under the hood? I see one for the ZEON control pack, but not for other Warn winches.

Per @MountaineerTom, it looks like the best option is to get cables made from someplace like this:

https://www.batterycablesusa.com/2-gauge-battery-cables-2-awg
Given that, let's ask a different question. Keeping the stock air box, where's the best location under the hood for placing the control box for a Warn? It seems like it should be as close to the winch as possible, which limits placement. I'd love to put it on the vacant tray by the driver side firewall, but that's to far away. :unsure:

Reactions: MountaineerTom
Per @MountaineerTom, it looks like the best option is to get cables made from someplace like this:

https://www.batterycablesusa.com/2-gauge-battery-cables-2-awg
Given that, let's ask a different question. Keeping the stock air box, where's the best location under the hood for placing the control box for a Warn? It seems like it should be as close to the winch as possible, which limits placement. I'd love to put it on the vacant tray by the driver side firewall, but that's to far away. :unsure:

I bought the newer Warn control pack upgrade kit that uses Albright contactors to replace the of solenoid controller on my first gen VR8000. I was going to try and squeeze it between the factory air filter box and passengers headlight but it was really tight in there. I decided to do the Buick air cleaner mod to make room for it. I’ve got that part done but still need to fab up a bracket to mount on the fender to attach the controller too. For now I just have in on top of the winch as normal until I get enough time to make the bracket.

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads...p-wrangler-unlimited.14995/page-4#post-765223
2B6E8FF3-B5E8-4F21-8B57-D5CF7BF53785.jpeg

I've been watching your progress here and like what you did. I've done the Windstar conversion before, but would like to avoid cutting a hole into the cowl, if I can. What year/model Buick box did you use?

I’ll have to look at my eBay history and see what it says. I’ll check it out on my next break. (at work right now)

The eBay listing showed it was from an ‘89 - ‘93 Buick Century with a 3.3 liter.

Reactions: Irun
There is a thread I came across here too that said they got one from a 1994 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera.

3.3L I’m assuming.

My control box is mounted to piece of steel and fastened to the grille support rod with cushioned p-clamps. mrblaine made me some new wires out of welding cable.

20210316_180311.jpg20210316_180340.jpg

Reactions: MountaineerTom
What airbox are you running?
I stole the idea from mrblaine. It's a chopped up stock box and tube. I plan on changing it. You can see it between the CO reservoirs and the firewall:
20200904_141026.jpg

You could always step up a few notches and get a real air intake system. I promise you it is not for the faint of heart. View attachment 234998View attachment 234999View attachment 235000View attachment 235001
I'd be confident in my ability to get the Windstar box mounted. Securing it with a custom mount like the crossbar in the picture would certainly prove to be my nemesis. I'm wondering if I had a spare grill support, or other piece of metal, and welded that perpendicular to the existing supports, would that be an okay platform to secure the airbox to?

I'd be confident in my ability to get the Windstar box mounted. Securing it with a custom mount like the crossbar in the picture would certainly prove to be my nemesis. I'm wondering if I had a spare grill support, or other piece of metal, and welded that perpendicular to the existing supports, would that be an okay platform to secure the airbox to?
The crossbar is for the shock hoops, a brace. The filter box isn't heavy, single hose clamp and a piece of flat stock off the side of the motor will hold it.

The crossbar is for the shock hoops, a brace. The filter box isn't heavy, single hose clamp and a piece of flat stock off the side of the motor will hold it.
I'm going to dig out a couple Windstar housings and see if I can mock this up. If it goes wrong I'm going to blame you for giving me the idea, and, more importantly, myself for the poor execution! :D

I might riff on this as well. I currently have the Windstar intake going in to the firewall, but you sure can hear it driving. As obnoxiously loud as my Jeep already is, you'd think I wouldn't mind that noise but I do, especially hearing the IAC working in the minutes after a cold start.