Warn control pack upgrade kit?

imactj2004

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
I’m looking to refurb/renovate my old m8000 which seems to have bad control unit. Was checkin this how-to but havent been able to find the actual kit anywhere. Warn says its no longer available…

anyone know if there’s a comparable replacement product?

1A7F22DF-6006-4FD4-8FD4-EE41FD52B90D.jpeg

Unfortunately Warn discontinued one of the best service items they had IMO. You will have to just search around and hope to find some old stock somewhere or use either kit PN 83664 or 101577(includes remote) which is the control pack as they come on the current M8000.

• Sad
Reactions: imactj2004
Unfortunately Warn discontinued one of the best service items they had IMO. You will have to just search around and hope to find some old stock somewhere or use either kit PN 83664 or 101577(includes remote) which is the control pack as they come on the current M8000.

I was afraid of that. Thx for info.

so….follow up question before I drop a couple hundred for the 83664. I want to makes sure Im approaching the right solution.

The reason I am searching is because something about my m8000 isnt working. I can always hear the solenoid click but 50% the time it simply wont engage wind in. When that happens, I can wind out, but not in, even when I hear the click.

So…should I go straight to control pack replacement or is there something else I should do to troubleshoot/solve?

The low buck answer would be to just replace both power in solenoids and rock it.

The low buck answer would be to just replace both power in solenoids and rock it.

not sure I understand “both power in solenoids”. Sorry to be dense. Does that mean “replace two solenoids for power in” or “replace power AND solenoids for entire set”?

Also, my old control pack is unsealed. Is the 83664 sealed? If so, might be worth it for me to drop the cash just for that IF this is a control pack issue and not a motor issue.

not sure I understand “both power in solenoids”. Sorry to be dense. Does that mean “replace two solenoids for power in” or “replace power AND solenoids for entire set”?

Also, my old control pack is unsealed. Is the 83664 sealed? If so, might be worth it for me to drop the cash just for that IF this is a control pack issue and not a motor issue.

So the older winches use four solenoids to control and change direction of the winch. They work in pairs so I always change them in pairs when I have a problem with one or if you think they all look suspect change them all. The 83664 does use a contactor so it is more water resistant than solenoids.

how can i assess whether I have a solenoid issue or some other problem?

Unless you have a bad switch in the remote you already figured it out.

Another point of failure that I just ran into. Needed to spool on some new line for a M8000. Plugged in the remote, powered out just fine. Got it all set up to start spooling in, just a click at the solenoid pack and no power in. Popped the cover off figuring a wonky solenoid, held the switch to power in, smacked the solenoid with a screwdriver handle and it powered in.

Kept doing that to get the line spooled on figuring the owner could replace the solenoid(s) later. Put the remote away in the rig and then remembered I needed to do something else. Being too lazy to get the remote out of the rig, I grabbed the one for my XP. It worked flawlessly both directions and I couldn't get it to not work. Took the pins on the original remote and bent them all inwards just a tiny bit to increase contact pressure and now it works just fine.