Warn M8000 reconditioned tips

cpwolf

Texan
Supporting Member
I’m looking at this, might need some work. M8000 for $200.

Anyone reconditioned one and any tips, is this is a minefield. Says it works, haven’t driven there yet.
I’ve got a Smittybilt metal cable on now, so I’m not in a hurry, I can take my time and get this one going and converts to a TRE synthetic line with a safety thimble.

67697A7C-475C-4141-B486-37D07FB75279.jpeg

E8B8E92D-A90C-44B5-9C4A-0670AE7C5A05.jpeg

Definitely a bit weathered but looks solid. Price is decent if it runs. That version of M8 has a few things to look out for. First is the motor is prone to corrosion and that can keep it from running, Second make sure the clutch lever moves freely. And finally check the remote, if it the version with the sideways switch be prepared to replace it.

If it runs, I'd jump on it. I paid $300 for one that was similar, but had a new new generation remote. If it helps, here's the boring blow-by-blow of my going through it, installation, mistakes made, etc, etc:

https://www.doubleveil.net/jeep/twenty-four.htm
It goes on for about 4 pages, just click "next" on the bottom of each page. The biggest thing was water had gotten under the powder coat and caused quite a bit of corrosion that had to be wire wheeled off and repainted - which is exhibit A of why powder coating isn't always the best finish for things that are going to be outdoors - particularly aluminum.

Reactions: Mike Z
Hey there,
I have that same winch. Yours actually looks a bit better than mine did when I got it. If what Blackjack says checks out, then making it pretty again is not difficult. Here are a few pics of mine.

The first one is what it looked like on the Jeep when I got it.

The second picture is after Blaine installed new synthetic rope, a WRG fairlead and thimble and a new solenoid bracket from Searcher's 4WD.

The third pic is after I sanded down and primed and painted the corroded areas. I mixed my own color of gray oil based paint. I applied new stickers, which Warn sent to me for free along with a free plug cap. Next, I removed the old solenoid cover and installed a new one and re-wired the solenoids.

Thanks to Blackjack also who helped me troubleshoot why the winch wasn't retracting. It turned out to be some corrosion on the pins on the remote that just needed to be cleaned. I love the look of the old M8000.

Winch Old.jpg

Warn winch.png

winch1.jpg

Great feedback.

My son is near it, so I’m gonna have to trust him a bit, and chance it.

I have no problem getting any corrosion and wire wheel work, I have rebuilt a few BBQ Smokers here in Texas.

I figure some Krylon black and even just red paint the W, would look clean.

Reactions: Zorba
Hey there,
I have that same winch. Yours actually looks a bit better than mine did when I got it. If what Blackjack says checks out, then making it pretty again is not difficult. Here are a few pics of mine.

The second picture is after Blaine installed new synthetic rope, a WRG fairlead and thimble and a new solenoid bracket from Searcher's 4WD.

The third pic is after I sanded down and primed and painted the corroded areas. I mixed my own color of gray oil based paint. I applied new stickers, which Warn sent to me for free along with a free plug cap. Next, I removed the old solenoid cover and installed a new one and re-wired the solenoids.

Thanks to Blackjack also who helped me troubleshoot why the winch wasn't retracting. It turned out to be some corrosion on the pins on the remote that just needed to be cleaned. I love the look of the old M8000.

View attachment 397724

View attachment 397725

View attachment 397726

Alright I’m gonna get it if it’s still there.

Here is the controller. I’m assuming there’s no adding a wireless, ha?

Not sure I want to trust a wireless connection or any delay when I’m winching anyway.

777AC87D-4908-4146-9BC7-100F8CCEF201.jpeg

Hey there,

View attachment 397724

View attachment 397725

View attachment 397726

Ok, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, I will be copying this post, a LOT. Except Blaine’s in Cali and I’m in Texas, I’m just gonna have to install a TRE synthetic and thimble soloz

Here is the controller. I’m assuming there’s no adding a wireless, ha?

Not sure I want to trust a wireless connection or any delay when I’m winching anyway.

View attachment 397748

Did you get it? I hope this turns out for you. I had a SuperWinch before, and when I found a Warn for $250 it changed my life. I had to put $150 or so into it, but it's solid and fast. @Blackjack is super helpful. Don't try to paint the W, they got decals for that! 😉

Reactions: Blackjack
Great feedback.

My son is near it, so I’m gonna have to trust him a bit, and chance it.

I have no problem getting any corrosion and wire wheel work, I have rebuilt a few BBQ Smokers here in Texas.

I figure some Krylon black and even just red paint the W, would look clean.

A few on here have used the Duplicolor Graphite wheel paint and it looks pretty sharp. Email Warn and request a decal pack from them.

Last edited:
Did you get it? I hope this turns out for you. I had a SuperWinch before, and when I found a Warn for $250 it changed my life. I had to put $150 or so into it, but it's solid and fast. @Blackjack is super helpful. Don't try to paint the W, they got decals for that! 😉

My son in Dallas going to get it tomorrow.

Guy said done, and I buy and sell enough to sniff the problems usually, but you never know.

When I get it, I’ll be posing up and doing just about everything y’all recommend. Mucho appreciado!

Reactions: Blackjack
Ok, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, I will be copying this post, a LOT. Except Blaine’s in Cali and I’m in Texas, I’m just gonna have to install a TRE synthetic and thimble soloz

Sounds great. Again, I just emailed Warn and a gal there sent me a decal pack for the M8000 and a new cap that covers the plug at the top of the solenoid cover, all for free. I bought the new cover off of Amazon. I debated painting the "W" on the old solenoid cover red, but it looked like crap.

Sounds great. Again, I just emailed Warn and a gal there sent me a decal pack for the M8000 and a new cap that covers the plug at the top of the solenoid cover, all for free. I bought the new cover off of Amazon. I debated painting the "W" on the old solenoid cover red, but it looked like crap.
@Mike Z do you not have a sway bar?

I want to get a different winch plate, yours looks flat, and no sway bar there?

I also like with a flat one I could put the recover hooks there as well, there’s not enough room next to mine for the bolt next to hook ones I have.

Although I have locations on bumper, still want this hooks.

A934FB3A-BF4D-4BC5-BC1D-1103154F52AC.jpeg

639AC77A-6512-4EC4-BF0C-D294FE8406B7.jpeg