Warn M8000 Winch Project

ShredAZ

TJ Enthusiast
New year, new winch! Well, new to me at least.

Browsing OfferUp, I found a pretty decent M8000 project winch. I'm talking the seller down to $60 as it clearly needs work.

My ultimate plan would be to do a complete tear down & ultrasonic clean, new paint, reassemble fresh grease, and buy any replacement parts as needed. I would also like to run synthetic line.

All things considered, I should be able to keep the price below $400 for a synthetic M8000.

I do have a few questions I'm hoping the community can help with:
  1. Seller claims the winch is mechanically sound aside from needing a new control pack. Anything else I should be looking for/examining before I buy?
  2. what are some common expenses with a winch this old? My biggest concern/gamble at this point is whether or not the motor works.
  3. Knowing how resilient these winches are, would this still be a better build than say going with a new China winch?
  4. Can you tell if I'm missing anything else from the pictures aside from line and a control pack?
And now for pictures:

AFE13860-1924-41D6-A5D9-9639378BC834.jpeg
7B3FA3C9-BECA-48E7-88D4-DD004646383F.jpeg

Last edited:
If it were me I would keep looking,

Looks like your also missing the hand controller, winch to battery cables, mounting hardware, fairlead etc. and who knows the condition of the gears

I have attached a M8000 Parts Breakdown, not sure if it is for your exact unit

Attachments

• Replacement Parts List.pdf
    279.8 KB · Views: 138
Reactions: ShredAZ