Warn Prices

NKlekas

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
I'm in the market for a winch and would love to get a Warn but their prices seem extremely high...Anyone know why? I was looking around Christmas time and the Fall and they seemed to have jumped even higher since then. Pretty much any 8,000-10,000 LBS winch with a synthetic is $1,000 or over. Are you paying more for he name now or is inflation hurting everyone?

Inflation. Going to be more expensive in six months along with everything else.

Interesting. Seems like other brands aren't that bad. I ended up pulling the trigger on a Gen 3 9,500LBS Smittybilt with the Synthetic and it was only like $550.

Most of Warn's winch prices are higher than the competition who pretty much import all their winches from China. Only Warn's VR winches are imported from China, the rest are manufactured in Oregon and of significantly higher quality.

No questioning Warns quality. Great winches and that's why I wanted one. I had a Gen 2 Smittybilt and it was great for me. I'm confident in their Gen 3 but id still would have loved a Warn

Even the Warn winches made in China are much more expensive then other brands.
As they should be, they have higher quality requirements, spare parts availability, far better post-sales support, etc. Try to get replacement parts from someone like Smittybilt and you'll be hating life after they say they are not available.

As they should be, they have higher quality requirements, spare parts availability, far better post-sales support, etc. Try to get replacement parts from someone like Smittybilt and you'll be hating life after they say they are not available.

Smittybilt doesn’t even exist anymore. Out of business. Anything being sold now is just what’s left. As you said, no replacement parts before, certainly none now.

Interesting. Seems like other brands aren't that bad. I ended up pulling the trigger on a Gen 3 9,500LBS Smittybilt with the Synthetic and it was only like $550.

You might keep your eye open for a used Warn on Marketplace or CL. If you find one in decent shape and price you could buy it and restore it. Then sell the Smitty. I found an xd9000i for $250 and after about $125 more I was in business with a winch that looks almost brand new and pulls like a monster.

I saw rumors to that effect, is that final? Old man Smitty must be rolling over in his grave. :(

Transamerican Auto parts has bought out Smittybilt, Pro Comp, 4 Wheel Drive Hardware, G2 Axle and Gear, Rubicon Express, Poison Spyder and quite a few others. Since then, all customer service for each is TERRIBLE

Reactions: JMT
Transamerican Auto parts has bought out Smittybilt, Pro Comp, 4 Wheel Drive Hardware, G2 Axle and Gear, Rubicon Express, Poison Spyder and quite a few others. Since then, all customer service for each is TERRIBLE
I realize that, I used to work for Transamerican way back. I was curious if Smittybilt had officially ceased its business operations.

I'm in the market for a winch and would love to get a Warn but their prices seem extremely high...Anyone know why? I was looking around Christmas time and the Fall and they seemed to have jumped even higher since then. Pretty much any 8,000-10,000 LBS winch with a synthetic is $1,000 or over. Are you paying more for he name now or is inflation hurting everyone?

Warns are the best by far depending on the type. As someone else above said, the VR is chinese made. I was in cnc metal/fab manufacturing/engineering in the field for many of these customers. Warn has tighter tolerances and first created the cone brake in most winches. Since then, everything has improved. If you were going to go with a VR, ive seen many videos and tear aparts of Harbor freights and tractor supply brands. Great videos comparing superwinch etc. I believe it was tractor supplys brand had better water proofing rating, speed, but different spool size etc.

Not a coincidence that this is also a list of brands that I won't buy. Poison Spider was added to that list before being purchased by trans America. Once they were bought, I added them to that list a second time just to be sure.

Last edited:
I realize that, I used to work for Transamerican way back. I was curious if Smittybilt had officially ceased its business operations.

No, they are definitely still manufacturing and California R&D is still there, but I believe TJ specific and older manufacturing has severely slowed or been repurposed. I've found this the case for most of the brands i used to know and love after not having a TJ since 2013 until this new to me one and am "heartbroken" that the LJ is even more scarce.