Warn Prices

You might keep your eye open for a used Warn on Marketplace or CL. If you find one in decent shape and price you could buy it and restore it. Then sell the Smitty. I found an xd9000i for $250 and after about $125 more I was in business with a winch that looks almost brand new and pulls like a monster.

For sure. I looked on Ebay and other sale sites. The Smittybilt winch was a good deal but if a good priced Warn came up I would 100% sell the Smitybilt and jump ship lol.

Last edited:
Reactions: RINC
I stand corrected in the details regarding Smittybilt. I should have explained that they were bought out. There was a time earlier this year when it was a question if they would continue operations. Our local 4WParts sold out to some BroDozer group about the same time.

My buddies smittybilt winch caught on fire on our last trail run :)

Shit that’s awful 😂 I had a Gen 2 for a little over a year on one of my previous Jeeps. I used it 3 times to pull someone out and worked just fine each time. My wife’s uncle has a Gen 2 on his TJ and has had it for about 3 years now and it’s given him no issues. I’ve had good luck with them and know people who have no issues as well. That’s a big reason why I was ok pulling the trigger on this one because of the experience. But I guess we’ll see

Shit that’s awful 😂 I had a Gen 2 for a little over a year on one of my previous Jeeps. I used it 3 times to pull someone out and worked just fine each time. My wife’s uncle has a Gen 2 on his TJ and has had it for about 3 years now and it’s given him no issues. I’ve had good luck with them and know people who have no issues as well. That’s a big reason why I was ok pulling the trigger on this one because of the experience. But I guess we’ll see

Yea he’s used it a good bit, last run his control board shorted out

This guy tests most of the winches listed above including the max load point where the winches give up. Very interesting side note, was some of the cheap mounting plates failed under load and ruined/tweaked the winch mounted on them.

Reactions: JMT
Can not go wrong with the king of winches.

Exactly!!!

I missed a bargain in one about a year ago, I had to buy the CJ5 to get the winch, didn't have enough cash, ran to the bank to come back the next day. :cry::cry::cry:

The CJ sold the day I looked at it for $4500.00 winch and all, cause it wouldn't idle.

I could have made bank off that deal!!!!!!!!

Exactly!!!

I missed a bargain in one about a year ago, I had to buy the CJ5 to get the winch, didn't have enough cash, ran to the bank to come back the next day. :cry::cry::cry:

The CJ sold the day I looked at it for $4500.00 winch and all, cause it wouldn't idle.

I could have made bank off that deal!!!!!!!!

Yeah I have run into the same problem here. Pretty much have to have cash in wallet on standby or they disappear before you get to the bank.

Reactions: John Cooper
I’ll rather get the m8000 which has parts from USA.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00625F8RW/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Agreed. The OP was looking in the smittybilt price range. $780 VR $600 smitty. Just a comparison. Buddy of mine has been running a m8000 for over 10yrs definitely a good winch. Last I checked warn has parts for all winches including the VR. I bought an open box vr for 400 ish 4 yrs ago. Works for me. If they didn't intice me with the $400 open box my plan was the m8000.

Reactions: John Cooper