Warn slider body bowing?

I have the warn sliders on my TJ. Mine doesn’t have that bowing issue but I do have an area on my passenger rear area where the slider has a fair gap from the body. My driver side was perfect. Not sure if I rushed the passenger side install and drilled the holes slightly off but I haven’t gotten back to try and correct it. It does collect dirt and grime in that gap. I will say I rinse that gap out the best I can. I did fluid film the body prior to tightening down the bolts. I also caulked the seam between the slider and body. Every spring I do loosen the body bolts and separate the slider from the body enough to get a good rinse and reapplication of fluid film as well as to ensure no rust is brewing underneath. I will say I do like these sliders. Here are pics of that spot.

View attachment 134691

View attachment 134692

View attachment 134693

https://www.4wd.com/sku/Warn/standard/71500.pdfLooking at the instructions, seems as if you elected to not drill the sugguested mounting hole that might have resolved this issue.

The Warn suggested hole is actually drilled above the “W” in each rock slider. Which leads me to believe me that this issue would be non existent under light to mediocre offroading.
8E4F896E-E36D-47F3-B0DA-0180047CB5DB.jpeg

There's just a few bolts and washers to resist that pulling force, so that force gets concentrated at those bolts and deforms the sheet metal.

They also have a long plate that gets sandwiched on the inside of the tub just below the door which spreads out that pulling force and stops the bolts from trying to pull through the sheet metal.
Which can be purchaed from Genright. An even better set could easily be made/fabbed by a reputable fabricator. But it does require added work to make it work.
9F7DEBB3-1707-4788-919C-833D755F7774.jpeg
F6EBA5A3-32AD-4E09-AF0F-F12F34F51CBA.jpeg

Yes, they will bend and pull the ends out, if you hit them hard. I used them for years with pretty mild wheeling, but when I started getting into them pretty hard they bent, pulling the fenders. I've even removed them, sliced and rewelded them flat. Still bent. I would avoid.
What would be possible fix actions? What sliders would you suggest over the Warns?

If the rocker isn't secured in two axis then there is nothing really to keep it from bending the sheet metal.
It’s hard to tell but it looks as if the Savvy “step” is only attached via top hardware. Doesnt seem to be secured 2 axis either.

Will the Savvy steps have the same potential to bend being that they are only secured at the top of the slider?

So I’m reporting back with what I’ve realized with the warn sliders after taking them off to do yearly cleaning underneath.

1. I used a 4’ level to determine how straight both the sliders are and the body of my Jeep. The sliders were perfectly straight. My Jeep body was straight, but not perfectly straight. There were areas of the slightest bowing that created tiny gaps between the level and the Jeep.
2. Loosely screwing all the bolts, the slider would be flush with the body except for areas where there were small gaps as the same when I used the level. Tightening down on the bolts would cause the sheet metal to contort a tiny bit causing the small gaps to become slightly wider.
3. I do believe drilling the extra hole behind the seatbelt base would help.
4. When I first installed these sliders last year, I caulked the seam. Some spots were a pain to remove but it all came off. Despite the caulking, I found to still be a fair amount of sand and dirt behind the sliders. This time around I did not caulk. Next time I will loosen the top bolts and separate the slider just enough to rinse between the Jeep and body as well as reapply fluid film.

I’m can’t comment on other sliders but are any of them completely flush with the body?

All in all, I still like the Warn sliders. For someone that does mild off roading with little to some rocks like myself, in my opinion they’re fine. I’ve hit them only a couple times but they weren’t violent hits. And I like how they look. For someone who likes to play in the rocks, I’d go with the sliders with the reinforced backing.

All in all, I still like the Warn sliders. For someone that does mild off roading with little to some rocks like myself, in my opinion they’re fine. I’ve hit them only a couple times but they weren’t violent hits. And I like how they look. For someone who likes to play in the rocks, I’d go with the sliders with the reinforced backing.

I agree, they are a clean design and work well for light offroading. It was only when I started doing larger rocks and harder and harder trails. Once's that 35s were tough to navigate with.

Plus they have been on my Jeep since 2001 maybe? 2002?

I took a straight edge out and held it to the side of my LJ. Interestingly it has a slight bow just behind the door on both sides. I wonder if the Warn design accentuates an issue or if the body pulls straight when mounting but then returns to bowed as the fasteners settle in.
20200121_132810.jpg

I took a straight edge out and held it to the side of my LJ. Interestingly it has a slight bow just behind the door on both sides. I wonder if the Warn design accentuates an issue or if the body pulls straight when mounting but then returns to bowed as the fasteners settle in.
View attachment 135693
Exactly what I saw except my slight bowing was in front of the doors of both sides.

I realize I'm resurrecting's a dead thread, but thought I should comment here as if you search for Warn Lj sliders this is the first thread that pops up.

WARN has discontinued the LJ sliders and are no longer available though warn at all. I know this Because I was just told that I bought the last set they have. They did say that some dealers may still have sets available, but once they're gone, they're gone!

The part # is 69875, many pictures don't show the correct part, but that is the correct number.
And fwiw, I attached the pdf for the Lj install instructions, the one referenced in post #21 is for Tj

Attachments

• warn rocker install.pdf
    97.6 KB · Views: 176
Reactions: 06lj