Warn vs HF

Brantley

TJ Enthusiast
Lol, saw this that somebody posted on Facebook. Got a good laugh out of it. I don't go to HF much, so I'm not sure if this is a regular sign or not. Funny either way.

IMG_0182.JPG

Reactions: VallenMaes
Hahahahahahaha! Wow... If that is a real sign, the only idiot is the person who would buy into it.

I'm not even sure the two can be compared.

Reactions: StG58
I have a Warn m8000s but in reality the average Jeep dude never spools his winch, they are just bumper jewelry so i could sure see an argument to buy the HB winch. Going down the road they look similar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: StG58
Its an actual sign...Look up their website. Same way they compare their "earthquake" brand 1/2" impact driver to SnapOn. Not really any comparison, but for the average guy, the Earthquake will do just fine. For a professional who makes his (or her) living off tools, no effing way.

The winch is interesting. If you were heading out solo, then sure, buy the most quality you can. If you always go out with a bunch of guys and everyone had a winch...why spend the extra? You'll use it every couple of times out, and if it breaks, someone else has a back-up.

Its probably the same as the quadratec, Emgo, etc that are out there. You can laugh all you want, but those knock off LED headlights are the same deal...and I'd guess people are MUCH more dependent on headlights than a winch.

I'm not saying that the Badlands winch is as high of quality as a Warn (its most assuredly not) but to just laugh it off is a bit pretentious.

Reactions: UpperMI and StG58
M8000-S owner speak...
Not sure how much you guys has been seen this HF winches in action, I know of a one that cost $269.00 and is installed on a trailer, no the best wiring, no weather protection, no gentle use but it's work al the time it's need it. It slower than any other winch we mostly saw it operating but drag any car into that trailer for sure. Maybe this is the odd fella...

Reactions: StG58 and Mike_H
Harbor freights whole advertising scheme is to show how much money can be saved by buying their stuff over "high priced" competitors. For example they sell rolling tool chests and cabinets and compare them to Snap On or predator generators as compared to Honda generators. And some things they sell make sense. At work we bought a tool chest to mount inside of a job site trailer. It was $950 and is great quality. I've also bought some wrench extensions and a torque wrench which have worked fine for everything I do. So for some things they are great.

Read the reviews, check out actual people using both winches on youtube, then make a decision based on your own intensions. The real drawback is that the HF is not waterproof. But I have never read a review or watched a video where one just failed. They fail because of water. Once people waterproof them they are buying a bumper with the other half of the savings. I will be the last one to bag on a guy buying something that fits his needs and spends the rest on another mod. The HF winch is $278 now. For that price I'd get it and play with it for awhile. We all know you get what you pay for. I just bought a single din pop out android deck on groupon for 65 bucks and Im spending the other $225 I saved on a 52 inch auxbeam light bar!
20170926_063218.jpg

Reactions: 05 Blue Unlimited
The real drawback is that the HF is not waterproof.

Not a problem since you never run into water while four wheeling, hunting, parking outside, etc... :risas3:

Hell, that is enough reason to avoid one at any cost. Especially when you can get an Engo from Allens Off Road for 269. It is water proof and well regarded.

My problem with Harbor Freight is that while you haven't seen one just "fail", they also haven't been tested as ruggedly (or for nearly as long) as something like a Warn M8000 winch. Those things have been around for more years than I can count, and they've been put through the ringer.

However, as long as you're happy with it, that's all that counts!

Reactions: Johnie Burns
The real drawback is that the HF is not waterproof.

Not a problem since you never run into water while four wheeling, hunting, parking outside, etc... :risas3:

Hell, that is enough reason to avoid one at any cost. Especially when you can get an Engo from Allens Off Road for 269. It is water proof and well regarded.

X2... Not waterproof? That's a HUGE problem for nearly all of us.

I agree totally on its a wash if its not waterproof. Just saw a couple of guys say that they were able to seal theirs. Smart move is to buy one thats waterproof. Ive read some reviews, watched some youtube but was waiting to get serious when I start my bumper build. I do know this that I bought a badlands 2500 wireless remote winch for 50 bucks from HF 3 years ago. I do Landscaping and mounted it on a double receiver hitch to pull a mower on the trailer and liked it so much I left it there. I use it all the time and with the wireless remote its a one man show. I bought another and mounted it to the shop ceiling brace. I pulled the 4.0 outa my Jeep alone with the wirless remote. And I overly abuse both of them, its fun lol. I know its in a different use but Ive had nothing but praise for the Badlands name. Its raining and here is where a Badland sits.
20170929_103706.jpg

The other one.
20170713_184422.jpg

If price and quality is an issue, Northern Tool has the Tiger Shark Superwinch 9500lb for less than $300. I have put these winches on my TJ and Jk. I have put them through hell and they keep on ticking. Completely waterproof, low profile, remote included. Harbor freight cannot hold up to the task down here in the Texas gulf coast. Not to mention burning out motors usually on the first use.

Reactions: TJ Starting