Warn vs HF

If price and quality is an issue, Northern Tool has the Tiger Shark Superwinch 9500lb for less than $300. I have put these winches on my TJ and Jk. I have put them through hell and they keep on ticking. Completely waterproof, low profile, remote included. Harbor freight cannot hold up to the task down here in the Texas gulf coast. Not to mention burning out motors usually on the first use.
Wow, appreciate the info! Has anyone tested the Xbull winches?

I agree totally on its a wash if its not waterproof. Just saw a couple of guys say that they were able to seal theirs. Smart move is to buy one thats waterproof. Ive read some reviews, watched some youtube but was waiting to get serious when I start my bumper build. I do know this that I bought a badlands 2500 wireless remote winch for 50 bucks from HF 3 years ago. I do Landscaping and mounted it on a double receiver hitch to pull a mower on the trailer and liked it so much I left it there. I use it all the time and with the wireless remote its a one man show. I bought another and mounted it to the shop ceiling brace. I pulled the 4.0 outa my Jeep alone with the wirless remote. And I overly abuse both of them, its fun lol. I know its in a different use but Ive had nothing but praise for the Badlands name. Its raining and here is where a Badland sits.View attachment 22614
The other one.
View attachment 22615

Not to get off topic here, but that shop sure looks like an AWESOME set up!

My thoughts are the HF, for "jewelry" are just fine for looks and weekend light stuff. If you really do serious off roading then a proven brand name is what you need. Serious winching takes a serious winch. I run the MM 9,000lb hydraulic winch on my TJ.
And also all the proper accessories, not cheap HF straps, pulley blocks or hitch shackles.
I have the HF $9 hitch shackle simply to foil theft... For recovery I have the Rino 32,000 lb 2" hitch shackle and the 32,000 lb 3'x30' strap.

Last edited:
I have the 9k badlands winch. I've used it loads, from pulling out stuck Raptors, Z71's, bushes, my jeep, fence posts, etc... I can say that it's done its job 100% of the time since I bought it. I haven't waterproofed it in any way and I don't keep it covered. I bought the warranty for it for 2 years which I do with every HF thing I buy. So as far as comparing it to a Warn winch I have no experience, but as far as its use and me punishing it often, it's held up beautifully. I also don't use HF rigging, only crosby, but that's a whole other story.

So as far it being bumper jewelry..nah
A winch that's operated flawlessly for the year I've had it...yep

Don't get me wrong, HF has some crap, but in my experience, with this particular winch, I couldn't be more happier. And all for under 300 bucks

Reactions: Johnie Burns