Warn winch help

Hotchef181818

TJ Enthusiast
Alright, I’m lost on this one. I’ve talked to warn twice and they are lost.

Xd9000i- I’ve replaced all of the wiring up at the solenoids and switched to 5pin adding in the ground to motor lug. All solenoids replaced very recently. Controller is new. Motor is 2 days old. Leads are in good shape and 1 gauge.

Symptoms- when I hook up the leads to the battery there are large sparks and the motor will do nothing. The power lug got so hot the other day testing it that the boot melted partially. Today with the new motor installed I tested with jumper cable and the terminal connected to the neg on the jumpers starts smoking.

I also have a 9.5ti I hooked up using 6 gauge jumper cables to test tonight and same problem, nothing happens.

Alternator is 6 months old, battery is fresh and 12.8 volts. I’m losing my mind trying to figure out what’s going on with this one.

Thoughts ? How do I troubleshoot this at this point ?

I'd be suspicious of a wiring error during all that replacement work you did, especially around the solenoids. What do you mean you switched to a 5-pin? Warn switched from a 4-wire to the 5-wire controller many years ago.

When I replaced the solenoids I grabbed a 5 pin connector and swapped from 4 pin. They sent me a 5 pin contoller with it. Wiring was good when I tested it after solenoid replacement and spooled the line on.

Something has obviously changed but I can’t figure out what. I’ve verified the wiring at least 4x this week. It’s not really that much wiring to look over. No corrosion, etc.

I guess it’s a possibility but I eliminated that based on it working previously and the 9.5ti acting the same during a test. If the 9.5ti worked it be staring at the wiring right now but that didn’t happen and now I’m completely lost.

Did ya try to run it off a different batty? Only reason I say that is if ya got 2 winches doin the same thing, on the same rig, I’d do a test on a different rig.

What else is consistent? Could you test with another controller? Do they work plugged into another vehicle’s battery?

I’m troubleshooting with someone and we did a resistance test and I’m getting a reading on the 2 solenoid posts tied to the wire that started melting. Wondering if I fried 2 new solenoids when the motor went

Reactions: rasband
I would try and work backwards. Here's the instructions from Warn to bypass the solenoids and test the motor.

To test the motor, use the following procedure from WARN:
Warn Motor Testing Procedure
If you find yourself in a situation where your winch is clicking but it is not working, you may have a motor problem....or you may have a solenoid problem. The following procedure, from Warn, will help you determine the status of your winch motor.
1. Put the winch in freespool.

2. Disconnect the positive lead from the battery (leave the ground lead attached).

3. Label and disconnect the three cables that run from the control pack to the three posts on the motor.

4. Stamped next to the three posts on the motor will be "A", "F1" and "F2". Run a small jumper wire (5"-6" dead lead, 8 ga. will work just fine) from "A" to "F1" and put power from the battery (jumper cables work good) to "F2". The winch motor should run in one direction at this time.

5. Next, place the jumper wire from "A" to "F2" and put power from the battery to "F1". The winch motor should run in the opposite direction at this time.

If these steps are followed correctly and the motor runs in both directions, the motor is good.

Reactions: astjp2
Motor is fine, tested before install 2 days ago. It looks like 2 of the new solenoids are bad though and that’s possibly what caused the motor to run on and burn out. Going to give warn a call tomorrow since they are supposedly warn solenoids listed on amazon.