Warn winches to look for used

Mike_H

autos are better - WRWD508
Supporting Member
So, aside from the almighty 8274, what other models stand out as a good value and worth the time to rebuild? I see quite a few of the XD9000's for sale, but they are generally 3-4 hundred dollars (and at that point, I don't think it worth it). My smittybilt X20 10,000 lb winch has been decent, but I'm always looking to upgrade.

Reactions: RINC
I'm kind of in the same boat. Looking for a good value Warn that needs a rebuild. Trouble is, there are very few (on craigslist anyway) in my neck of the woods. Most of the winches in north Texas seem to be bumper jewelry and smitty's work just fine for that.

I have alerts set up for m8000, xd9000( & i), not sure there are many others worth the time.

Reactions: Mike_H
Just about any of the planetary winches from the 90s or newer are going to be a candidate worth looking at. I would avoid the early versions which can be identified by being black in color and having thin steel tie bars. The drum supports are not as robust and parts are less available.

So, aside from the almighty 8274, what other models stand out as a good value and worth the time to rebuild? I see quite a few of the XD9000's for sale, but they are generally 3-4 hundred dollars (and at that point, I don't think it worth it). My smittybilt X20 10,000 lb winch has been decent, but I'm always looking to upgrade.

Of course, I'd say 8274 all day long. If I couldn't get one I'd shoot for a XD9000 or XD9500. I think $300 would be TOPS for a used winch since you are going to rebuild it.

Edit: I should add looking for the XD9000i or XD9500i is depending on if you like the look & prefer the integrated setup. Also there is the HS9500i.

Last edited:
Why do you say that? Because of their speed?

Yes the HS9500/i and the 9.5ti/cti high speed winches take some adjusting of technique. Rookie users often misjudge the amount of run on the winch has and then panic hits and they hit opposite direction on the remote shocking the gear train leading to a first stage planet failure. They are also more prone to bird nesting when using wire rope.

Reactions: NskLJ and Wildman
Mike here are the spec's on one.

Part Number:47550 12V DC, Roller Fairlead
Rated Line Pull:9500 lbs. (4309 kgs.) single-line
Motor:4.6 hp/3.43 kw, Series Wound
Control:Remote switch, 12' (3.7m) lead
Gear Train:3-Stage Planetary
Gear Ratio:156:1
Lubrication:Molylube #1 or Aeroshell #17
Clutch (freespooling):Sliding Ring Gear
Brake:Automatic Direct Drive Cone
Drum Diameter/Length:2.5"/9.0"(6.4cm/23cm)
Weight:86 lbs. (39 kgs.)
Wire Rope:125' 5/16"diameter (38m, 8mm diameter)
Replacement wire rope:PN 25987
Fairlead:Roller
Remote Control:Included
Recommended Battery:650 CCA minimum for winching
Battery Leads:2 gauge, 72"(1.83m)
Finish:Argent Powder Coat
Nuts/Bolts:PN 37829
Warranty:Limited Lifetime
HS9500i 12V DC Performance Specifications:
Line Pull
lbs. (kgs.)
Line Speed
Ft./Min (m/min)
Motor
Current
Pull by layer
layer/lbs. (kgs.)

062.0 (18.90)67 amps1/9500 (4309)
2000 (907)16.3 (4.97)160 amps2/8650 (3924)
4000 (1814)11.8 (3.60) )230 amps3/7920 (3593)
6000 (2722)9.31 (2.84)305 amps4/7400 (3357)
8000 (3629)7.59 (2.31)370 amps5/6940 (3148)
9500 (4309)6.67 (2.03)425 amps
Above specs are based on the first layer of the drum.

HS stands for High Speed, the 9500 stands for rated line pull. The i means integrated solenoid. With a newly redesigned 4.6 hp motor and 500lbs more recovery capability over the XD9(i) series, the HS95(i) would be perfect for almost any vehicle recovery scenario. The HS95(i) boasts a faster line speed than the XD9(i) platform. With a line speed comparable to the legendary M8274-50, along with 1500lbs of extra grunt, and its reconfigured the drive train to a planetary gearing to improve speed and efficiency, this 86 lb. winch is simply the best bolt-on self-recovery improvement for the money. With Warn using the XD9(i) series as a platform for production of the HS95(I) series winches, the mounting options are the same as those of the XD9(i) Series winches.

So, if you currently have a XD9 Series winch, or looking at purchasing a HS95(i) winch, they will bolt up to any of the mounting bases currently being produced. With this in consideration, you will not have any problem finding a bumper / mounting option to match your vehicle, or application. So, now that you're thinking of selling your wife's car to support you four wheeling habit, here are the spec's on the HS95(i): (Please note, the HS9500 & HS9500(i)'s specifications, dimension, and capabilities are the same. The only difference is the integrated solenoid on the (i) version, and part number.

Found a xd9000i for 300 bucks. Non-working, guy says its a solenoid issue. Doesn't look too bad from the pics. Is an XD9000i worth 300 in non-working condition? One of the really nice things I can say about the smittybilt I have is the wireless winch control. I know Warn also offers that feature on the zeon line. Anyone know if you can upgrade the older winches to use a wireless controller?

Found a xd9000i for 300 bucks. Non-working, guy says its a solenoid issue. Doesn't look too bad from the pics. Is an XD9000i worth 300 in non-working condition? One of the really nice things I can say about the smittybilt I have is the wireless winch control. I know Warn also offers that feature on the zeon line. Anyone know if you can upgrade the older winches to use a wireless controller?

Warn sells a wire controller. I'd say it's about as high as I'd go and I'd try offering $225-250. Does it come with good cable?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00D2HI32U/?tag=wranglerorg-20

But at the price of good winches now I guess it isn't a bad price. Heck I've seen basket case 8274's going for $500+

Reactions: DrDmoney and Mike_H
Reactions: Wildman

The guy who sold me my xd9000i was asking $300 and I offered him $250 and he took it. He showed me a vid of it semi-working. When I got into it he had it wired wrong in the solenoid housing. Issues with the wiring to the commutator too, inside the housing. Solenoids we’re good which saved some coin. Needed some parts from Montana Jacks and @Blackjack had the rare stuff and good hardware upgrade tips and the snorkel. I was all in for ~$400. It’s way nicer than my SuperWinch and way faster. I’m constantly on the lookout for another if that means anything.

Reactions: Blackjack

Don't trust that it is just a solenoid issue. A battery and some time will be your best friend.

Warn has both a wireless control and their new HUB which is Bluetooth using your phone. The early 9i winches may need an upgrade to the control harness but it should be done regardless if you want use a wireless.

Reactions: matkal and Mike_H
I've been thinking about starting this exact thread for a while, good move.

Now that I know what the I means, is there any advantage to an integrated solenoid beyond ease of install? I've been wanting to relocate mine to near the battery just to minimize the exposure of always-hot cable but an integrated solenoid would take my freedom to do that.

Reactions: PRNDL