Warn XD Restoration

I watched your restoration too. Fantastic work. I had an XD9000i on my last TJ. If I can find one, I'll have @Blackjack on speed dial.

Yeah, he’s pretty awesome in all things Jeep. He has very good understanding. Way more than I ever will.

Thanks for the kudos on the restoration. Now let’s get our stereo’s worked out!

I don't know. I think it's a 5 pin because I got the newer style -50 cover. But was going to swap to the 3 pin since I had the controller already. But if going to the 5 pin is a better idea I'll do it. I'll have to look when I get back out to the garage.
I am going to get my leg cast tomorrow and should be able to start working again Wednesday.

Early-50 8274s actually could be three pin. If you are running a contactor you really only need three wires but if plan on a wireless or other accessory you will need the ground pin in the plug.

Reactions: Wildman
Reactions: JMT
What's the correct name for this electrical terminal? I looked up "Barrel" and found nothing. If I can find them, I'll cut all the existing ones off and crimp new ones on. Or, can I just replace them with a ring or spade terminal and nut? The latter would be preferable!

Warn Connector.jpg

What's the correct name for this electrical terminal? I looked up "Barrel" and found nothing. If I can find them, I'll cut all the existing ones off and crimp new ones on. Or, can I just replace them with a ring or spade terminal and nut? The latter would be preferable!

View attachment 351596

Outside of OEM wiring I am not sure you will find them. I would use ring terminals and nuts.

Reactions: Irun
I cleaned and replaced all the remaining small wire connectors and still have the intermittent not working issue. Reliability is a top priority and I can't see spending money for replacement parts. I'll order an entire new sealed contactor pack, 5 pin remote, then be done with it. :(

I cleaned and replaced all the remaining small wire connectors and still have the intermittent not working issue. Reliability is a top priority and I can't see spending money for replacement parts. I'll order an entire new sealed contactor pack, 5 pin remote, then be done with it. :(

Is it in one direction or both?

Is it in one direction or both?

Happens occasionally on both, but mostly when winding in. If I whack the plastic contactor, it works. It's possible the issue is in the 3 wire plug, because I can also wiggle that to make it work. That part is cheap, but I don't want to waste any more time and money on the old pack.

Happens occasionally on both, but mostly when winding in. If I whack the plastic contactor, it works. It's possible the issue is in the 3 wire plug, because I can also wiggle that to make it work. That part is cheap, but I don't want to waste any more time and money on the old pack.

Did you hear from Warn? If they send you the update kit you get a new harness and remote. Then you could just replace the solenoids and you will have a new pack. But you will not go wrong with running a contactor either.

Reactions: Irun and Wildman

Yeah, these are gambles, but @Blackjack will steer you straight. Just might take a bit longer. I didn’t get any responses from my inquiries with Warn, but it will still work out whatever route you decide to go.

Reactions: Blackjack and Irun
Did you hear from Warn? If they send you the update kit you get a new harness and remote. Then you could just replace the solenoids and you will have a new pack. But you will not go wrong with running a contactor either.

I sent emails to two different addresses, one general support and one directly to someone that helped me with the stickers. No response was received from either. Doing a little searching last night, I was able to locate a Warn 83664 solid state contactor pack for $215 shipped. At that price, you're 100% correct, I can't go wrong, so it was ordered.

For the controller, I have a wired and wireless version that came with the XP on my TJ. One of those can be used until I order a new one. Seems like I remember something you had posted about good vs bad Warn wired controllers, but couldn't find it. Are there ones that are preferable?

Yeah, these are gambles, but @Blackjack will steer you straight. Just might take a bit longer. I didn’t get any responses from my inquiries with Warn, but it will still work out whatever route you decide to go.
Indeed! The contactor pack turned out to be an issue, which meant I spent more than expected on the winch. That said, the motor, drum, gearing, and selector are in fantastic condition. Add a new solid state contactor pack and remote, and I'm stitting at a little over $650. Although that's more than was planned for, everything done on these Jeeps is more than planned for. I've gotten used to it at this point.

To the more important part, you're spot on. @Blackjack has been awesome and has helped out with both parts and advice. His expertise, and willingness to share, has been invaluable. He's one of the true experts here that makes this forum the TJ/LJ go-to place! (y)

I sent emails to two different addresses, one general support and one directly to someone that helped me with the stickers. No response was received from either. Doing a little searching last night, I was able to locate a Warn 83664 solid state contactor pack for $215 shipped. At that price, you're 100% correct, I can't go wrong, so it was ordered.

For the controller, I have a wired and wireless version that came with the XP on my TJ. One of those can be used until I order a new one. Seems like I remember something you had posted about good vs bad Warn wired controllers, but couldn't find it. Are there ones that are preferable?

Well if they do not reply within three days or so call the 800-543-9276 and let them know.

For the new contactor pack you have to have a remote with the D plug on it.

Thanks to support from @Blackjack, I've finished up the XD restoration. For less than the cost of a new M8000, with steel cable, I have a reliable XD. The new solid state contactor pack was exactly what was needed to complete the job. 100% reliability now!

20220822_192622.jpg

Thanks to support from @Blackjack, I've finished up the XD restoration. For less than the cost of a new M8000, with steel cable, I have a reliable XD. The new solid state contactor pack was exactly what was needed to complete the job. 100% reliability now!

View attachment 353277

Awesome

Reactions: Irun