Warn Zeon 10-S platinum remote is a royal pain

Well it’s been a couple weeks since I completed the modification and I gotta say. Problem solved. Remote is still fully charged. Works just like normal unless you decide to stick a magnet on the outside of the remote housing while stored. If the magnet is there you get no power draw and the battery stays charged for no matter how long it’s stored. Unlike only staying charged a few days or a week. Much happier with this thing now

Well it’s been a couple weeks since I completed the modification and I gotta say. Problem solved. Remote is still fully charged. Works just like normal unless you decide to stick a magnet on the outside of the remote housing while stored. If the magnet is there you get no power draw and the battery stays charged for no matter how long it’s stored. Unlike only staying charged a few days or a week. Much happier with this thing now

I’m going to do this same modification to mine. The biggest problem with the remote design is that pressing ANY BUTTON will power it up. I 3D printed a cover for mine so it wouldn’t get bumped in the glove box, but an on/off switch is totally the better route.

Reactions: Rescue6
So I got a killer deal on what I thought was going to be a great new winch upgrade from my old and well used warn xd9000i. It was a new winch from the shop display. Remote and winch line etc all still in the box. Body had just been bolted on a stand for a year. Turns out I can’t stand this dang thing. Wish I had gotten a standard zeon and not the platinum series. This problem is the that the wireless remote never stays charged. I’ve replaced the battery pack in it from Warn twice in a little over a year and a half hoping that would cure it. But if I charge it fully today. Make sure the remote control and winch are both turned off and then place the remote it in the glovebox it is dead within a mail of 48 hours. It’s basically gotta stay plugged in so that when you go to use it you can unplug it and use it wirelessly. Now they have Bluetooth modules to use your smartphone on the non platinum versions of the winches but unfortunately they are not compatible with the platinum version. I just don’t get why these stupid remotes can’t seem to hold a charge. My friends does the same thing. Anyone else experienced this problem with the platinum series remote control.

View attachment 300486

Just buy a new Remote 93043 for $184.
My Platinum 12K winch is over 7 years old on the original battery. I'm OCD in many areas, batteries and redundancy are at the top of the list. Running a lithium battery dead rapidly degrades the battery. I've gone over a month without charging mine and although the battery is not 100%, it's got plenty to operate the winch.

My two 12K SW's each have a plug in and a remote. I'm considering buying a backup remote to get similar redundancy for the much more expensive Platinum. The remote is the weak link. USB ports are fragile and wont to fail. Adding a power off switch is likely to increase the chances of overall failure, albeit less chance of a dead battery.

I keep the remote's with the keys so they are never forgotten and easily tested before a ride.

2023-03-18 08.41.38.jpg

Note the battery indicator is about 75%, which is the optimal level for long battery life. Even so, I top it off just before a ride as Lithium batteries have a very flat curve before they drop off a cliff.

2023-03-18 08.43.34.jpg
We never go a serious ride without at least two rigs with operational winches (redundancy).

2023-03-18 08.44.01.jpg

Last edited:
I’m going to do this same modification to mine. The biggest problem with the remote design is that pressing ANY BUTTON will power it up. I 3D printed a cover for mine so it wouldn’t get bumped in the glove box, but an on/off switch is totally the better route.

Any chance you would print me one of those covers you speak of. I’ll gladly pay you to make it.