Washing your jeep.

Basiasadie

TJ Enthusiast
So I took mine through a car wash because magnesium is horrible and gross to touch.
I had my soft top on(which didn't leak!!!) But I was wondering how the rest of you wash your jeeps without a hard top?
I worry about my stereo and the seats getting wet and gross.

Reactions: Kevin E
Funny you should ask... I'm changing oil and getting ready to give the rig a bath right now. (The oil is draining at the moment)

I wouldn't run a soft top through a car wash. The front edge of the soft top above the windshield won't take much abuse from power brushes. Mine had a brand new soft top on it that the dealership put on to replace the worn out factory one. The lot boy ran it through a car wash just before delivery. Ripped a hunk out of the top on the passenger side the size of a small playing card. Now I have gorilla tape on the rip / hole to keep the rain out.

I use warm water and mild soap. Wash it by hand. TJ's are small, so it doesn't take much time or effort. Got any neighborhood kids that want to make a few bucks? Offer them a five and a ride with the top down to wash the Jeep; they would probably jump on the chance. You could sit in a lawn chair with a refreshing beverage and supervise. It's a win -win for everyone. In the summer, the grandkids go nuts washing the Jeep. A car wash with the big rotating brushes is kind of a bad thing with a soft top even on sports cars.

I wash it very, very carefully! I'm really careful with the water pressure on the hose and I do it very slowly. It's quite the process to say the least!

Reactions: Basiasadie
Funny you should ask... I'm changing oil and getting ready to give the rig a bath right now. (The oil is draining at the moment)

I wouldn't run a soft top through a car wash. The front edge of the soft top above the windshield won't take much abuse from power brushes. Mine had a brand new soft top on it that the dealership put on to replace the worn out factory one. The lot boy ran it through a car wash just before delivery. Ripped a hunk out of the top on the passenger side the size of a small playing card. Now I have gorilla tape on the rip / hole to keep the rain out.

I use warm water and mild soap. Wash it by hand. TJ's are small, so it doesn't take much time or effort. Got any neighborhood kids that want to make a few bucks? Offer them a five and a ride with the top down to wash the Jeep; they would probably jump on the chance. You could sit in a lawn chair with a refreshing beverage and supervise. It's a win -win for everyone. In the summer, the grandkids go nuts washing the Jeep. A car wash with the big rotating brushes is kind of a bad thing with a soft top even on sports cars.
I wish I lived in a neighborhood like that, I live in an apartment downtown. I might be able to convince some of the kids I babysit but it will be a while til it's warm up here (I was in the desert at the time of the car wash and not near home)

I probably won't do it again, but it I couldn't find a do it yourself car wash while we where there

Reactions: Chris
I wish I lived in a neighborhood like that, I live in an apartment downtown. I might be able to convince some of the kids I babysit but it will be a while til it's warm up here (I was in the desert at the time of the car wash and not near home)

I probably won't do it again, but it I couldn't find a do it yourself car wash while we where there

Oh man, be REALLY CAREFUL of the wands at a do it yourself car wash. They could strip paint and will blow gunk everywhere in the nooks and crannies. Ask me how I know sometime.

Reactions: Basiasadie
I drag my pressure washer out and go to work with a bucket and brush. I clean my Jeep after nearly every outing. Right now it's dirty from last week's run, but I am taking it out on Sunday to the snow...

OK, here's a question... You know that big hole in the frame right in front of the rear tires? The one that let's our frames rust out so nicely? Mine seems to attract mud and crud and pine needles every time I go out. What's the best way to wash all of that stuff out of there?

so Chris, I clicked "reply"

Only way out was to delete everything and reply with a "'".

I even logged off and restarted but i had to reply...........

I cannot believe there are communities which ban washing a Jeep in your driveway. Best bet, a sponge, bucket of soapy water and a hose.

I use a wand wash if I'm covered in mud, roadsalt, ..... but after that, I go home and wash it in my driveway,

Reactions: StG58
OK, here's a question... You know that big hole in the frame right in front of the rear tires? The one that let's our frames rust out so nicely? Mine seems to attract mud and crud and pine needles every time I go out. What's the best way to wash all of that stuff out of there?
Very good question, I would like to know that also. I've heard that people have welded that hole up, anybody have any opinions on that? Thanks, I really love this group, I find out some good stuff about my Jeep Wrangler 65th anniversary edition on here. Yes I'm new to this Jeep thing, and I love my Jeep.

Very good question, I would like to know that also. I've heard that people have welded that hole up, anybody have any opinions on that? Thanks, I really love this group, I find out some good stuff about my Jeep Wrangler 65th anniversary edition on here. Yes I'm new to this Jeep thing, and I love my Jeep.

I put plugs in it.

Reactions: Ron505
I typically power wash myself at home first, then take it to the "Touchless" car wash if needed. I keep a good coat of wax on it at all times too.

As far as the frame, I drilled some holes in the bottom of my frame just inside of the control arms to drain water out. I can rinse my frame out with those wholes drilled. Then I also have plugs for the frame like Chris mentioned.

Great advice!

I took my Family out to the Everglades National Park few weeks ago. It just happened to rain that day and I am still cleaning out my frame and undercarriage because the gravel- dirt roads are made with Limestone Rock,
witch turns to a light color and takes a Lot of work to get off the undercarriage.

Limestone is a Major component in concrete and it is very hard to clean off black paint once it dries in.

WIth regards to washing, I use a good Meguiars Car wash soap , TRY to Wax my Unit 1-2 times a year and seal the paint with Chemical Brothers-VO7 High Gloss Paint Sealant after a few outlinings.

In addition, I also utilize 2 buckets, one for the soap and another to clean and to rinse the brush in order to protect the clear cloat & paint.

I am also thinking about buying a power washer. There was one on Sale at my local Bass Pro Shop For about $200.00.

Stay SAFE.

ELBRAVO aka "Rocky" - Miami, Florida

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Chris
I wash mine with just the bikini top on and the inside rarely gets wet if you be a little careful. Once every couple of months I put up the top and use a conditioner made for convertible tops to make sure it doesn't rot, crack, decay or whatever they might do. I rarely drive with the top up.

Reactions: Ron505
I wash mine with just the bikini top on and the inside rarely gets wet if you be a little careful. Once every couple of months I put up the top and use a conditioner made for convertible tops to make sure it doesn't rot, crack, decay or whatever they might do. I rarely drive with the top up.
Quit bragging! :D This cold up here really sucks!

Quit bragging! :D This cold up here really sucks!

LOL I left the jeep at home today cause we finally got a cool snap. It was 44. Got a couple of cold days last week around 50 and I still drive it topless with a sweatshirt. Today I had a flock of clients coming in so no sweatshirts so drove the Honda. Unless it gets really cold I probably won't use my full top. Send me some snow Ron505. Especially when it hits 97 in a few months