Washington Washington forest service roads pass?

Ejforan

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
So I live in washington and it may be the same in other states but I have heard about some pass you can drive through all the forest service roads around here. Anyone know anything more about this?

The forest pass is not to access forest roads, its to park at certain attractions throughout the forest that require people to pay typically. Like a state park for example, where some people would have to pay for parking, one with a forest pass would hang it from their rearview mirror and that would show that your covered.

All forest service roads can be traveled on if they are open...or if you can get around the gatekeeper!

https://www.discovernw.org/store_an...MIrNbH8qLs3wIV7x-tBh2KkgymEAAYASABEgL9G_D_BwE

The forest pass is not to access forest roads, its to park at certain attractions throughout the forest that require people to pay typically. Like a state park for example, where some people would have to pay for parking, one with a forest pass would hang it from their rearview mirror and that would show that your covered.

All forest service roads can be traveled on if they are open...or if you can get around the gatekeeper!

https://www.discovernw.org/store_an...MIrNbH8qLs3wIV7x-tBh2KkgymEAAYASABEgL9G_D_BwE
Thanks that makes way more sense. Do you by chance know of any maps for those roads. I will look to find them and put them up here if I find anything as well.

Thanks that makes way more sense. Do you by chance know of any maps for those roads. I will look to find them and put them up here if I find anything as well.
Yeah i'm not sure of digital maps of WA FS roads, but any ranger station will have free maps and high quality topo maps for sale of the national forests. There is also Gaia GPS you might want to look into if your into overlanding at all.

What part of the state you in? I just moved from Camano Island, WA last year to Missoula, MT.

Yeah i'm not sure of digital maps of WA FS roads, but any ranger station will have free maps and high quality topo maps for sale of the national forests. There is also Gaia GPS you might want to look into if your into overlanding at all.

What part of the state you in? I just moved from Camano Island, WA last year to Missoula, MT.
West of the mountains the baker snoqualmie is the closest for sure and montana? Ive been thinking about over there seems interesting.

A couple of side notes about those passes.
When you buy one PLEASE purchase it from a local Forest service ranger station and pay in CASH. It’s the only way to keep 100% of the money in this state and used for our forest. Otherwise it all goes back to I want to say Ohio and then we only get a small percentage of the money.
Also in some cases you need to have one to be on the trails, like at Evans creek.
And if you tow your rig to the trails you only need one, just leave it in your tow rig and you’ll be fine.

Headed out today with JMT & have a couple things on my list.
- visit the Fernan ranger station in Coeur d'alene & get any maps they have available.
- get an Inland paper permit to be able to go on any of their logging roads which are scattered around the Spokane/CdA area.

The only forest service roads around here are up north in the Colville NF. Not sure we'll make it that far north today.

Reactions: Head Lice and JMT
- visit the Fernan ranger station in Coeur d'alene & get any maps they have available.
- get an Inland paper permit to be able to go on any of their logging roads which are scattered around the Spokane/CdA area.

The only forest service roads around here are up north in the Colville NF. Not sure we'll make it that far north today.
Have a great time. I'm at work dreaming of Jeep

• Haha
Reactions: JMT and Airjunky

Do you know if I can get a permit for all the logging roads over here across the cascades? Theres so many around here but I’ve never found how to access them.

Do you know if I can get a permit for all the logging roads over here across the cascades? Theres so many around here but I’ve never found how to access them.
I'm sure you can, but they're more than likely independently owned so you will have to figure out who owns them & whether or not they issue permits. My guess is Weyehauser owns a lot in your area.

Thanks, I will look into it.
Most of the "logging" roads around here don't require permits just to drive around on them. There are DNR/Sheriff's out in about periodically so I would stay on the designated path.

There’s only 2 permits I’ve ever seen needed in Wa and that’s the discovery pass for DNR lands and the USFS pass. The only place I’ve ever been bothered about having the USF’S pass is at Evans Creek. If your not camping or parking in an area that states that you need one then your fine to not have one. Just being on USFS land driving around on roads not camping in designated areas you’ll be fine to not have one. The hunting/fishing parking passes usually also qualify the same as a USFS pass. The discovery pass can be a bit more strictly enforced though, but only needed on DNR lands

Reactions: EJD
Yeah, you don't need permits to drive on any public logging roads anywhere. Some special rec areas will require a pass for you to "park" there if you wish to get out and hike or something. Gated or privately owned roads are off limits and you should just forget about trying to go down them.

An "inter-agency pass" for $80 will get you into any national park or anything basically that you could ever get into that requires a fee. Any forest situation, any park (state or national), even covers dispersed camping fees here that may fall on federal land. This is my go-to choice for exploring freely and never having to worry about paying per/trip.

Though I did have a Discovery Pass while I lived in WA.

Was a logger and across the border here in BC, a VHF radio is a definite asset on active Provincial FS Roads.
You live in a beautiful state.

Reactions: Airjunky
Went out yesterday with @Airjunky to explore some trails in the Canfield are NE of Fernan, E of Hayden Lake. Really appreciate Airjunky taking me by the Customs ??? Place. Met some cool guys who are all set up to work on Jeep’s and beating 4WParts prices. The sell MC CA’s as well as Synergy. I’ll probably use them when the time comes to support local business. Also appreciated the Inland paper maps and explanations, even though they won’t let us in till after the Winter. Then we went in to the Fernan Ranger station and they gave us three giant maps. There are hundreds of miles of trails, but no clue how difficult they may be.

On to our trip we aired down and hit some back roads. Nothing difficult, just muddy, most of the time in 2wd. There was that one hill we went on h th at said no motor vehicles. It was fun! We got going fast through corners and drifted some. By the end of it we had gone 34.9 mi. Beautiful scenery.
8CDEF738-4D0B-457F-ACF6-5B560A54F641.jpeg

D19878D1-5169-49B9-ADD9-60B97F82F9E6.jpeg

Kinda hoping @Airjunky will post that video of me going through that ice-mud hole!
My rig looked like this after.
7B8FFD09-59E1-4BA0-A85C-4CCD07665CDC.jpeg

But now it looks like this!
2C28C1F1-9ED6-417E-A0F5-318D2EA156C1.jpeg