Washington Washington members that live to wheel

Yes. And it's another one of those funny things about WA compared to many other states. Most states it's 25 years old but in WA it's 30.

Not gunna debate it nor try to say it's right or wrong but it's the law. You can choose to not follow it and if you get pulled over and get a ticket then you just pay it and move on. Same a speeding.

I mean nothing personal.

Priorities in legislatures are stupid enough for most law enforcement personnel to state publicly they won’t enforce it. Thank God for law enforcement that thinks.

I mean nothing personal.

Priorities in legislatures are stupid enough for most law enforcement personnel to state publicly they won’t enforce it. Thank God for law enforcement that thinks.

Yes and this could go on and on but IMO why draw attention to yourself? And you don't live where the more popular wheeling spots are. In Yakima & Naches area the State Patrol and Sheriff's office have all told the 4WD community that they will enforce the fender flare and mud flap laws. Why? Because of those BAD 2% of people flying down the road at 10 over the speed limit flinging mud and rocks as it falls off their POS rig. So it causes the rest of us to look bad but also makes us the target.

Yes and this could go on and on but IMO why draw attention to yourself? And you don't live where the more popular wheeling spots are. In Yakima & Naches area the State Patrol and Sheriff's office have all told the 4WD community that they will enforce the fender flare and mud flap laws. Why? Because of those BAD 2% of people flying down the road at 10 over the speed limit flinging mud and rocks as it falls off their POS rig. So it causes the rest of us to look bad but also makes us the target.

IIRC the mud and debris falling from the vehicle is another infraction in and of itself. We all got warned on one of the "Mud Fest" runs we went to just outside of Arlington. The farmer that let us use his field brough out a hig h pressure trash pump and was manning personally hosing off rigs as they left.

I still appreciate the diverse perspectives of this group. Thanks for helping me think about this. Selfishly, I am trying to plan some big things and really want to avoid a trailer, lol. If all it costs is ~$135 every once in a while, 🤷‍♂️

Reactions: JMT and reddvltj
I still appreciate the diverse perspectives of this group. Thanks for helping me think about this. Selfishly, I am trying to plan some big things and really want to avoid a trailer, lol. If all it costs is ~$135 every once in a while, 🤷‍♂️

But it's not the $135 ticket. It's the Fix It ticket or they pull your registration. So then it's finding a way to make a temporary flare to pass inspection.

Could rig factory flares and flaps with rare earth magnets? Then they can be popped on/off. Seems like an interesting problem to solve.

It’s totally doable. Or you can run like this. 🤣

JLpic because I won’t desecrate a TJ.

8D080B11-12E8-47A3-A8EB-6236F62E5148.jpeg

Could rig factory flares and flaps with rare earth magnets? Then they can be popped on/off. Seems like an interesting problem to solve.

Like I said it's why I went with Metal Cloak. They do offer aluminum corners and fenders but the flares are still steel. And some don't like the look. And they don't offer a highline.

I'm sure if there is a will there is a way.

It’s totally doable. Or you can run like this.

JLpic because I won’t desecrate a TJ.

View attachment 380335

Removable mud flaps are easy. It's the flares that are a PITA.

People calling for legislation for wide flares are the same people who want to defund the Po-Po. 🤣

• Face Palm
Reactions: Wildman
People calling for legislation for wide flares are the same people who want to defund the Po-Po. 🤣

Calling for legislation for full coverage flares??? Why would there be legislation? The law is already on the books there's no need to vote on it. The law also states that as long as your vehicle is 100% stock you are exempt from the mudflap laws. The minute you modify anything that relates to tires or suspension you no longer fall under that exemption for mud flaps.

I love the idiocy of their law on mud flaps, "the flap must be no higher than mid height of the axle"...
Well let's see...
Mid height on a set of 40s is leaving a LOT of extra room for flinging dibris compared to mid height on a set of 32s

Like I said it's why I went with Metal Cloak. They do offer aluminum corners and fenders but the flares are still steel. And some don't like the look. And they don't offer a highline.

I'm sure if there is a will there is a way.

Removable mud flaps are easy. It's the flares that are a PITA.

I am not opposed to Metal Cloak, I just want to date other fender flares. I think it's when the rear gets stretched a bit that will influence other non-jeep specific decisions, like trucks and trailers. And by the time I get there, my '03 will be a collector vehicle.

why draw attention to yourself?

Bc that’s honestly what I like to do. It’s a more interesting life. I’m not afraid of the police because I’m not doing things that are harming people. I’m a law abiding, giving public servant. I sacrifice for people and if they don’t like it I’m not bothered by it. What bothers me is petty legislation that detracts from law enforcements ability to deal with the real problems like pedophiles (I.e. probably the legislators).

Reactions: AustinJeepTJ
Calling for legislation for full coverage flares??? Why would there be legislation? The law is already on the books there's no need to vote on it. The law also states that as long as your vehicle is 100% stock you are exempt from the mudflap laws. The minute you modify anything that relates to tires or suspension you no longer fall under that exemption for mud flaps.

I love the idiocy of their law on mud flaps, "the flap must be no higher than mid height of the axle"...
Well let's see...
Mid height on a set of 40s is leaving a LOT of extra room for flinging dibris compared to mid height on a set of 32s

You know what I mean. Those in support of this BS.

OBVIOUSLY ITS ALREADY IN THE BOOKS. I’m referring to the thread content.

And no, I don’t care about flinging debris. I really don’t, bc I learned in drivers ed that you don’t follow people that close.

151BFAC0-8DFE-474B-ACF8-B26F6282F6AE.jpeg

Shit happens. Go look at the front of your rig. Count the windshields you e had. None of those were caused by an ass in an F350 bro-dozer with a 6” lift and 35’s and no mud flaps! 🤣

I really don’t, bc I learned in drivers ed that you don’t follow people that close.
I've had my windshield destroyed by rocks coming off of oncoming vehicle tires so it's not about following to close.

I realize that's not the norm that's why I don't so much care about the fender flare portion of the law, but I do whole heartedly believe that anything capable of picking up and flinging a rock bigger than a pea should have mud flaps. and not just to the tune of WA State's law saying no higher than mid axle height. I think they should be no more than a few inches from the ground.