Washington Washington members that live to wheel

I’m a believer in giving the Leo’s options.

Several years ago I was pulled over for speeding, close to 90 in a 70.

Had a nice chat on the side of the road and instead of the $150 speeding ticket, I received a $35 window tint ticket which meant nothing other than losing $35.

I've had my windshield destroyed by rocks coming off of oncoming vehicle tires so it's not about following to close.

I realize that's not the norm that's why I don't so much care about the fender flare portion of the law, but I do whole heartedly believe that anything capable of picking up and flinging a rock bigger than a pea should have mud flaps. and not just to the tune of WA State's law saying no higher than mid axle height. I think they should be no more than a few inches from the ground.

Yes, oncoming traffic. Finally something reasonable on this issue of flinging rocks and legislation.

Generally AT’s love to pick up rock’s. MT’s don’t do that much bc of tread separation (and debris? Quick clean out by MT’s). I actually refused to buy an AT even for better driveability from 2016-2019 because I lived on a road that had a 295 foot granite driveway and it was quite obvious that the tire that wouldn’t destroy my rig was an MT. They don’t hold rocks. Those large enough to fit between the tread block are too large in diameter to be held in the proportionally shallow tread depth.

And you don’t think a small 5mm rock can break/damage your windshield? 🤣 if it was 1” diameter it would likely go straight through your windshield at 60mph.

Last edited:
Reactions: reddvltj
But it's not the $135 ticket. It's the Fix It ticket or they pull your registration. So then it's finding a way to make a temporary flare to pass inspection.
It’s pretty damn obvious what needs to be fixed in this state, and it ain’t fenders and mud flaps.

Reactions: AustinJeepTJ
I’m a believer in giving the Leo’s options.

Several years ago I was pulled over for speeding, close to 90 in a 70.

Had a nice chat on the side of the road and instead of the $150 speeding ticket, I received a $35 window tint ticket which meant nothing other than losing $35.

Just another way of sucking the government tit. Damn commies.

Yes, oncoming traffic. Finally something reasonable on this issue of flinging rocks and legislation.
I'll just say I agree and leave it at that... I could go all kinds of sideways and deep on the subject of tread design, toe setting, and Awd vs Fwd vs Rwd and throwing road dibris :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Generally AT’s love to pick up rock’s.
Definitely!!!

MT’s don’t do that much bc of tread separation (and debris? Quick clean out by MT’s). They don’t hold rocks. Those large enough to fit between the tread block are too large in diameter to be held in the proportionally show tread depth.
That depends on the size of the tire... 285/75R17 10 ply MTs hold and THROW some damn good size rocks!!!

And you don’t think a small 5mm rock can break/damage your windshield? 🤣 if it was 1” diameter it would likely go straight through your windshield at 60mph.
Try 130+ mph!
Oncomming vehicle doing 65, me doing 65 the opposite direction = 130mph. The rock came through my windshield before the truck passed me!

It was, and it did on 2 seperate occasions!!! Thankfully it was sunny out and I was wearing my sun glasses both times!

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Apparition and JMT
Back to the original question.

Yes you can choose to not have flares but know that you might get a ticket or a fix it ticket. Or you can figure out a way to make flares that go on and off easy.
The next thing is how much mud/sand/rock/moss/snow/gravel and anything else your tires can pick up flung into your rig? That is the other thing that having flares and mud flaps do.

If you choose not to have tire coverage or mud flaps, then don't cry on here if you get a ticket.

Not saying I agree or disagree with any laws.

I'll just say I agree and leave it at that... I could go all kinds of sideways and deep on the subject of tread design, toe setting, and Awd vs Fwd vs Rwd and throwing road dibris :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Definitely!!!

That depends on the size of the tire... 285/75R17 10 ply MTs hold and THROW some damn good size rocks!!!

Try 130+ mph!
Oncomming vehicle doing 65, me doing 65 the opposite direction + 130mph. THe rock came through my windshield before the truck passed me!

It was, and it did on 2 seperate occasions!!! Thankfully it was sunny out and I was wearing my sun glasses both times!

Yes, doubling. I’m just glad you are ok!

I agree the convo is not worth pursuing. I’m in a pissed off mood and I know who the enemy is and it’s not you. It’s the stupid ass legislature who can’t see what’s important to police and what’s dumb. I mean, if you’re so concerned about rocks and debris due to inadequate flares and mud flaps why is it legal to pour chemical on the road to get rid of ice that causes way more damage to cars?

Last edited:
  • USA Proud
The next thing is how much mud/sand/rock/moss/snow/gravel and anything else your tires can pick up flung into your rig? That is the other thing that having flares and mud flaps.

That I can agree with. It’s a serious thing to consider if you daily drive your rig. If you don’t it don’t matter too much.

Rocks are kicked up from where the tire meets the road so flaps and flares don't help with that but they do help prevent some water and grime spray. I have a set of removable flaps to run on the rear when I don't want to be hassled by LE but they have been on the garage floor for over a year.

Reactions: AustinJeepTJ
If you choose not to have tire coverage or mud flaps, then don't cry on here if you get a ticket.
Strongly agree here. I am just calculating risk at this point. Any decisions I make are on me in the end. But having some good people chime in is really helpful.

I am not daily driving the TJ but it may see more road this week with the incoming snow!

To add to the Metalcloak discussion. Due to the shape of the flares they don't stop much road spray.

You better have good wipers and be used to washing the side of your jeep to keep all the road spray off.

They may meet the rule of the law but IMO they really don't meet the intention.

Strongly agree here. I am just calculating risk at this point. Any decisions I make are on me in the end. But having some good people chime in is really helpful.

I am not daily driving the TJ but it may see more road this week with the incoming snow!

And I'll say that in the past 3-5 years I've seen more and more trucks and Jeeps on the roads here that have tires sticking out way more than on inch or two. IT's like the speeding on I-90. When I stopped driving truck semi's went 62-63 MPH max because of being worried of getting pulled over. Now they are running 70 MPH all the time and I hardly ever see a State Patrol pulling one over.

It's been debated in other areas about why this is and doesn't matter here.

Anybody up for a hangover run?
Looks like taking the snowmobiles May back out, so I’m looking to do a snow run on the 1st, anyone doing anything that I may ba able to tag along with or anyone want to set something up?
It would be me and my son (he’s 12 of that matters) coming.

Anybody up for a hangover run?
Looks like taking the snowmobiles May back out, so I’m looking to do a snow run on the 1st, anyone doing anything that I may ba able to tag along with or anyone want to set something up?
It would be me and my son (he’s 12 of that matters) coming.

I’d love to get into something. If you do anything let us know