Water over axles.....cause for concern?

Bird

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
I crossed a deep stream yesterday, over 2 feet deep and was talking to another Jeeper on the other side.
He advised i check my front and rear diffs for water penetration and look for milky color.
I checked and looks like fresh oil as i just changed them.
Does he have a valid point ?
Been doing it in 4x4's for years, seemingly without issues.

As long as your breather tubes were connected, you'll be fine
The breather tubes for the axles extend up to the top of radiator and the gas filler tube for front and rear axles. Breathers for transmissions and t-case differs depending upon what you have.

Reactions: CounterEMF and Bird
I crossed a deep stream yesterday, over 2 feet deep and was talking to another Jeeper on the other side.
He advised i check my front and rear diffs for water penetration and look for milky color.
I checked and looks like fresh oil as i just changed them.
Does he have a valid point ?
Been doing it in 4x4's for years, seemingly without issues.
If you have and issue with your breather hose on your axles it can let water in. It happens a lot when people don't locate them high enough or have them come off. I cross water up to the doors and never have an issue but it is worth keeping an eye on if you cross regularly.

Reactions: StG58
If you have and issue with your breather hose on your axles it can let water in. It happens a lot when people don't locate them high enough or have them come off. I cross water up to the doors and never have an issue but it is worth keeping an eye on if you cross regularly.
They come from the factory located at the top of the radiator for the front axle, and at the top of the gas filler tube for the rear axle. Breathers for the transmission and t-case are really want need to be moved if you plan on doing deep water frequently.

Well the things you learn here.
I found them to be well intact and located high in the bay.
Who would've guessed a beefy Dana 44 needed oxygen to survive. Lol

Can a forgotten axle vent tube re-install make oil come out of it and hit the exhaust? If said tube was overlooked when removed during a spring replacement?

Uhmm, asking for a friend...LOL

Reactions: JP98
Sure can. If you didn't re-install it, and the axle got real hot and maybe was a little overfull with gear oil.
Thanks, I forgot to put it back on after I changed my springs. I also changed the pinion seal because it was leaking and i thought it still was. I'll just clean it up real good and see what happens.

if you now less than nothing about these things, are there a way a noob could find,spot id these tubes/breathers??
Crawl underneath, you'll find a rubber hose leading away from both axles, that is their vent hose. There's another leading from the top of the transfer case, and depending on your type and year of transmission there may be one connected to the top if it.