Water Supply for Overlanding...

Squatch

Master Thread Derailer
Supporting Member
I saw this, and thought it was a pretty incredible unit. Mind you, this is the largest unit...they also make a series of water bottles, and another Jerry Can that is either smaller, or just can be used fewer times before filter needs replacement. I've forgotten which. Anyways, lots of videos and reviews on this product. Check it out.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005FDCXL6/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Reactions: FireJeep
Interesting product, but spendy.

But you got me thinking that I should research a separate funnel/filter that accomplishes the same thing but can be used with any water container.

Thanks for the link.
Spendy, yes. But it's a one-time initial hit, and then beneficial from there on. I started looking into all this, as I have a friend taking his little girl to the Philippines for a month, and he was looking into filtration cups. I showed my wife, and she thinks it's a great item to have around for an emergency situation (earthquake, for example). I was thinking camping! LOL So we'll likely get one. I'm sure there are less expensive ones available. Just be sure and check out to what degree the filtration system works (how small the holes are, and what can/cannot get through). That's what sold me on this one.

Being an avid mountaineering guy, I have found the absolute best and lightest weight filters to be the Sawyer mini-filters. I always keep one in my vehicle...

https://sawyer.com/products/mini-filter/

They can screw on to bottles and they also come with a little straw that you can affix to it, to drink straight out of a water source. They are the defacto for hikers and hunters i these parts.

Being an avid mountaineering guy, I have found the absolute best and lightest weight filters to be the Sawyer mini-filters. I always keep one in my vehicle...

https://sawyer.com/products/mini-filter/

They can screw on to bottles and they also come with a little straw that you can affix to it, to drink straight out of a water source. They are the defacto for hikers and hunters i these parts.
I had seen the Sawyer products, as well. This one appealed to me for its capacity. Definitely other options out there, depending on your needs. I'm fairly certain you wouldn't want to be hiking around carrying a Jerry Can, either empty or full! LOL

Reactions: jeep_boss
I had seen the Sawyer products, as well. This one appealed to me for its capacity. Definitely other options out there, depending on your needs. I'm fairly certain you wouldn't want to be hiking around carrying a Jerry Can, either empty or full! LOL

Agreed! I did buy into some RotoPax though. The 3 gallon is typically more than enough for us when we car camp. I can always expand it with another stackable unit if I needed to.

Filtration-wise, you can't to wrong with the Sawyers!

Reactions: Squatch
I use an MSR Miniworks EX and a 2-1/2 gallon water jug in the TJ. Works well, and the ceramic / carbon filter is cleanable and replaceable. When the grandkids forget to turn the spigot off, they get to hike the whole contraption down to the stream to refill it. It's a "teachable moment. They seem to learn fast.

I use an MSR Miniworks EX and a 2-1/2 gallon water jug in the TJ. Works well, and the ceramic / carbon filter is cleanable and replaceable. When the grandkids forget to turn the spigot off, they get to hike the whole contraption down to the stream to refill it. It's a "teachable moment. They seem to learn fast.
Good man! That is how kids need to learn :)

Reactions: StG58
I usually carry these for 7 gallons
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001QC31G6/?tag=wranglerorg-20
Never had an issue with them yet

and I have one of these for a shower. Came with a heater.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000RYWQP6/?tag=wranglerorg-20
minus the heater it looks like yours would combine the two. Probably not as much water, but would create some real-estate .

Your can does have a shower addition for extra cost. pretty reasonable if it works
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00C0XYBF0/?tag=wranglerorg-20

I like the Gear part of the forum. I am always happy to see new things I haven't seen yet for Jeep camping.
Other than how expensive it is it looks pretty cool.

I usually carry these for 7 gallons
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001QC31G6/?tag=wranglerorg-20
Never had an issue with them yet

and I have one of these for a shower. Came with a heater.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000RYWQP6/?tag=wranglerorg-20
minus the heater it looks like yours would combine the two. Probably not as much water, but would create some real-estate .

Your can does have a shower addition for extra cost. pretty reasonable if it works
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00C0XYBF0/?tag=wranglerorg-20

I like the Gear part of the forum. I am always happy to see new things I haven't seen yet for Jeep camping.
Other than how expensive it is it looks pretty cool.
Yeah, they're pricey, for sure. I like the filtration aspect of it. It could be truly useful, depending on what kind of situation you were in. Like I said, the wife thinks it's a great "home emergency" thing to have around, and I think it'd be a nice camping accessory. There's a gal on Youtube who did a review of one that she and her husband (and dog) used for over 400+ days traveling through Mexico and South America. Seemed like an honest review, even pointing out a flaw or two. A testimonial like that does more for selling something than any advertising ever could, in my opinion. Thanks for sharing the links to your items, by the way. I like the shower one!

Reactions: ac_
Yeah, they're pricey, for sure. I like the filtration aspect of it. It could be truly useful, depending on what kind of situation you were in. Like I said, the wife thinks it's a great "home emergency" thing to have around, and I think it'd be a nice camping accessory. There's a gal on Youtube who did a review of one that she and her husband (and dog) used for over 400+ days traveling through Mexico and South America. Seemed like an honest review, even pointing out a flaw or two. A testimonial like that does more for selling something than any advertising ever could, in my opinion. Thanks for sharing the links to your items, by the way. I like the shower one!

I fill mine up at the water store so filtered water goes in the bottle for camping trips. I usually bring 3 bottles that is about 21Gal of water. If it sits too long because we didn't use it, I use it for mopping my garage floor and refill the next camping trip.

I also use the filtered water in the shower. It only holds 3 gallons, but it is more than enough for a camping shower. Gotta have my shower. It also doubles as a sink for washing my hands. It is nice after wheeling in the desert whether it be my Jeep or my quads to be able to at least wash my hands.

There is an outdoor show here next month. I am going to go to that, and see if they have those. I am curious about them, but hesitant to put out that much cash without touching one first.

Plus I have gotten some killer deals on high end expensive stuff at those shows. I always bring cash for such a deal

I fill mine up at the water store so filtered water goes in the bottle for camping trips. I usually bring 3 bottles that is about 21Gal of water. If it sits too long because we didn't use it, I use it for mopping my garage floor and refill the next camping trip.

I also use the filtered water in the shower. It only holds 3 gallons, but it is more than enough for a camping shower. Gotta have my shower. It also doubles as a sink for washing my hands. It is nice after wheeling in the desert whether it be my Jeep or my quads to be able to at least wash my hands.

There is an outdoor show here next month. I am going to go to that, and see if they have those. I am curious about them, but hesitant to put out that much cash without touching one first.

Plus I have gotten some killer deals on high end expensive stuff at those shows. I always bring cash for such a deal
Never considered the outdoor shows as a possible place to get real deals. Cash does help promote bargaining, as you implied! :) I think I'll follow your approach, and see if I can actually lay hands on one, first. It's always a good idea to "feel" how something is built. Last thing you'd want to end-up with is something with a flimsy/fragile pump mechanism. That'd just hurt my feelings...;)

Never considered the outdoor shows as a possible place to get real deals. Cash does help promote bargaining, as you implied! :) I think I'll follow your approach, and see if I can actually lay hands on one, first. It's always a good idea to "feel" how something is built. Last thing you'd want to end-up with is something with a flimsy/fragile pump mechanism. That'd just hurt my feelings...;)

Last year I bought a lc2 Fuel jug for 25 bucks otd with a hose. The same setup is just shy of 50. I also bought a waterproof duffle bag big enough for me to climb into almost for 100 and they usually go for 250. Regular mechanic gloves 5 bucks things like that. I guess it wasn't an outdoor show as much as an outdoor riding show, like UTV's ATV's dirtbikes and accessories. Oh ya they had lit whips for 50 bucks. I am pretty excited to go again this year. I hope you can make it to yours.

Last year I bought a lc2 Fuel jug for 25 bucks otd with a hose. The same setup is just shy of 50. I also bought a waterproof duffle bag big enough for me to climb into almost for 100 and they usually go for 250. Regular mechanic gloves 5 bucks things like that. I guess it wasn't an outdoor show as much as an outdoor riding show, like UTV's ATV's dirtbikes and accessories. Oh ya they had lit whips for 50 bucks. I am pretty excited to go again this year. I hope you can make it to yours.
Damn, dude! You're like some "Super Shopper"!!! :thumbsup: That's some truly impressive buying you've done, there!