Wavian NATO gas cans

How recently have you looked, @Rob5589 ? The ones I got said California CARB compliant and didn't have a shipping restriction. These cans are good kit.
Yesterday I was bored and checked them out on Amazon. Said they were restricted due to my address. This is what it says right now;
"This item cannot be shipped to your selected location." But in the description it says; "Legal for sale in all of North America" so who knows. Not looking to buy one at the moment so no problem. Just more CA bulls%^t unfortunately.

Yesterday I was bored and checked them out on Amazon. Said they were restricted due to my address. This is what it says right now;
"This item cannot be shipped to your selected location." But in the description it says; "Legal for sale in all of North America" so who knows. Not looking to buy one at the moment so no problem. Just more CA bulls%^t unfortunately.

They sell them at Sportsman's Warehouse in Rancho Cordova. That's where I got mine. Pretty sure their website says the brand is "JerryCan" only because that is their distributor, but it is a Wavian.

http://www.sportsmanswarehouse.com/...uctDetail/Fuel-Cans/prod99999034134/cat134501

Bummer! You can't buy'm, yet the rest of the US gets stuck with a "CARB" compliant nozzle!? That seems shaky right there. Man, I feel for you California guys sometimes.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rob5589 and LTTJ
Have the hubby look into the Wavian gas cans. Good kit and a NATO vendor.

He usually likes to buy whatever he had in the Army if he can get it, but these look like they are cheaper and we can get them new. Gas cans are on the list after I get the Dirtworx rear bumper and tire mount that will hold them. The list just goes on and on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He usually likes to buy whatever he had in the Army if he can get it, but these look like they are cheaper and we can get them new. Gas cans are on the list after I get the Dirtworx rear bumper and tire mount that will hold them. The list just goes on and on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I get that. ...and the list never gets any shorter with a TJ! lol

Reactions: JP13
OK, @Chris, did a mock ups for drivers side and passenger side gas can mounts in the back and sat in the TJ. I know why they mounted them in front behind the seats now. Creates huge blind spots with the top off. Especially on the passenger side.

OK, @Chris, did a mock ups for drivers side and passenger side gas can mounts in the back and sat in the TJ. I know why they mounted them in front behind the seats now. Creates huge blind spots with the top off. Especially on the passenger side.

Oh yeah, I can see that happening, and it could be dangerous too!

You are correct, the Wavian can is a quality piece. The CARB spout is better than some but still a giant PITA as far as I'm concerned, especially when it comes to filling a generator.

To make my life easier when it comes to filling the tank I came up with this work-around.

5F55B144-D89D-46FF-AC64-151F7008E3F0.JPG

I purchased a genuine Wavian water can spout, changed the gasket to fuel resistant, added the hose and a short piece of 3/4" OD pipe, and presto no more CARB headaches. The added length makes it much easier to fill a generator and to empty the can completely into the Jeep.

As a side note, I purchased a 5L can from a different manufacture to have an easier to transport can when 20L wasnt required. The smaller can seems to be well made and seals well but the spout that came with it won't work on the Wavian can and vise versa.

Last edited:
You are correct, the Wavian can is a quality piece. The CARB spout is better than some but still a giant PITA as far as I'm concerned, especially when it comes to filling a generator.

To make my life easier when it comes to filling the tank I came up with this work-around.

View attachment 20187
I purchased a genuine Wavian water can spout, changed the gasket to fuel resistant, added the hose and a short piece of 3/4" OD pipe, and presto no more CARB headaches. The added length makes it much easier to fill a generator and to empty the can completely into the Jeep.

As a side note, I purchased a 5L can from a different manufacture to have an easier to transport can when 20L wasnt required. The smaller can seems to be well made and seals well but the spout that came with it won't work on the Wavian can and vise versa.
My Wavian 5 liter can showed up yesterday. Still playing with it, but it's a good size for the chain saw.

So I dumped a can into the wife's JKU tonight, and I have to say. The nozzle is marginal at best. Had to use a pair of pliers to get the unleaded adapter out of the gas fill. @jgaz and his water / gas nozzle is on to something.

Reactions: Chris
So I dumped a can into the wife's JKU tonight, and I have to say. The nozzle is marginal at best. Had to use a pair of pliers to get the unleaded adapter out of the gas fill. @jgaz and his water / gas nozzle is on to something.
Took the CARB nozzle apart last night and guess what!? The "stinger" inside is approximately the same size as the fill on the unleaded adapter. So, a hacksaw, a couple of hose clamps from under the workbench, a piece of fuel proof tubing the right diameter and about a foot long, twenty minutes of fooling around and presto! Usable flexible fuel nozzle.

Reviving this thread. My parents came down to visit for the holidays and my father brought me his old Rockhard 4x4 jerry can mounts and two older style metal jerry cans (just like the red one in the first pic). Neither can has a nozzle though. Any suggestions on a good nozzle for the older style cans?

Reviving this thread. My parents came down to visit for the holidays and my father brought me his old Rockhard 4x4 jerry can mounts and two older style metal jerry cans (just like the red one in the first pic). Neither can has a nozzle though. Any suggestions on a good nozzle for the older style cans?
You can still buy them. I use them and bought an extra one, just have to remember where now.

Reviving this thread once again.

I found this site a couple weeks ago. What surprised the heck out of me is that they sell a non CARB compliant spout for the Wavian Jerry Cans. Not sure how the get around that foolish requirement but I’m not complaining.

https://www.jerrycan.com/shop/wavian-jerry-can-long-nose-flexible-olive-drab-steel-pouring-spout/

This is the first time I’ve seen this specifically listed for Wavian can. Any of the other non carb spouts I’ve tried will fit some of the cheaper, knock off, cans but won’t fit either of my Wavian 20L cans.

It also looks like they have the flex spouts for the screw on cap US surplus style cans that someone above was asking about.

Last edited: