Ways to Keep Warm in Your RTT

I've found that trying to heat the tent is tough. I don't like leaving a heat source running while I sleep unless it's electric and trying to carry enough battery power is also tough. The good thing with the RTT is you can leave quite a bit of bedding in the tent. Pile up the blankets. We've found that we are much warmer if we get rid of the individual sleeping bags and share body heat with just layering the blankets.

Reactions: Randun
I don't own one but have been researching options for a possible offroad trailer build. I think Tepui and others make insulation kits. And I like the idea of using an annex with a Chinese diesel heater.

Reactions: B00mb00m and Randun
Another insulated sleeping pad to take a look at is the Thermarest Mondoking. Unlike normal blow up mattresses it has significant insulation (R-value of 7.0) but still has the comfort of a deeper mattress. Only downsides are that it is bulky and not cheap.

https://www.thermarest.com/sleeping...t/mondoking-3d-sleeping-pad/mondoking-3d.html
If you store your self-inflating pads with the valve open and the mattress inflated, it helps the mattress retain its loft and insulating power. Most pads can be easily stored under a bed unrolled and inflated.

Same rule applies to sleeping bags. Store them uncompressed when not in use. I usually hang them in hangers in my closet.
Thank you so much for your opinions! I really appreciate it.

I've found that trying to heat the tent is tough. I don't like leaving a heat source running while I sleep unless it's electric and trying to carry enough battery power is also tough. The good thing with the RTT is you can leave quite a bit of bedding in the tent. Pile up the blankets. We've found that we are much warmer if we get rid of the individual sleeping bags and share body heat with just layering the blankets.
I'm the same as you. I don't like leaving a heat source running while I sleep either.

Thank you for your time and your opinions. I really appreciate it.

I don't own one but have been researching options for a possible offroad trailer build. I think Tepui and others make insulation kits. And I like the idea of using an annex with a Chinese diesel heater.
Yes I have seen those insulation kits too, and a couple of my friends that have them say that they work pretty good.

we have a Big Buddy heater we use in our kids tree house- its by no where air tight but it will keep it toasty in there when they want to play outside in the rain. we also have the hose to run it to a larger propane tank if we want to

We have a 5,000 BTU propane heater in my tear drop trailer. It's not an RTT but the roof lifts and the sides and back wall are like a tent. It's kind of a tear "pop". The thermostat failed while camping last October. I fired up our Mr. Buddy heater for about 10 minutes before we went to bed and it nearly roasted us out. We were fine for the night although I did start it again in the morning when we were getting dressed. I know some people use these through the night with good ventilation. I don't think I'm up for that (not sure I need it anyway) and there's all kinds of opinions, ARGUMENTS really, so I'll leave it at that.

We have a 5,000 BTU propane heater in my tear drop trailer. It's not an RTT but the roof lifts and the sides and back wall are like a tent. It's kind of a tear "pop". The thermostat failed while camping last October. I fired up our Mr. Buddy heater for about 10 minutes before we went to bed and it nearly roasted us out. We were fine for the night although I did start it again in the morning when we were getting dressed. I know some people use these through the night with good ventilation. I don't think I'm up for that (not sure I need it anyway) and there's all kinds of opinions, ARGUMENTS really, so I'll leave it at that.
Thank you so much for your opinions. I really appreciate your time.

Have fun out there, and happy new year!

Reactions: PCO6
Thank you so much for your opinions. I really appreciate your time.

Have fun out there, and happy new year!

Thanks! I can't wait to go camping in the new year. The sooner the better which will mean in the cold. My wife hates the cold so I'll go it alone. YIPPEE!

Thanks! I can't wait to go camping in the new year. The sooner the better which will mean in the cold. My wife hates the cold so I'll go it alone. YIPPEE!
I hear yah! I hate the cold too, but I love the outdoors to much to pass up a trip in the winter.

I leave on Friday for my first camping trip of the New Year. Can't wait!

Hope you get back out there sooner then later. Enjoy!

Reactions: PCO6
I’ll be running a diesel heater for mine when it’s super cold out. I have double layer canvas though and honestly have been warm with not much bedding down to freezing, i’ve used a 12v heated blanket on a 45 min timer a few times.

Some people use propane heat, but unless it has an exhaust is it puts off a lot of moisture which is not good for your tent. They also go through a fair amount of propane if left on for a longer period of time and obviously it’s an open flame.

Outside of just adding bedding, the diesel heater in my research seems like the most efficient, safest option for all around heating.