We are thinking about moving someplace warmer

Southern Utah!! Still gets a bit of a "winter" with occasional snow, nothing dramatic. You'd be surrounded by BLM property so the wheeling opportunities are endless. St. George, Mesquite, Hurricane... Not near an ocean, but the west coast is closer than it is to you now.

Reactions: Rick Flair
Southern Utah!! Still gets a bit of a "winter" with occasional snow, nothing dramatic. You'd be surrounded by BLM property so the wheeling opportunities are endless. St. George, Mesquite, Hurricane... Not near an ocean, but the west coast is closer than it is to you now.
Great idea! After some research I convinced my wife to consider the area.

Reactions: qslim
In the process of doing exactly what the OP is searching for. Sold everything in NE WI = new house that i built, cabin in the northwoods, and businesses that wife and i have owned for 25yrs. Moving to the Western slope of CO in the Montrose area. High desert, not too hot summers (no humidity) not too cold winters, little to no snow. Mountains all around, so can see winter, just dont have to live in it. Peaks all my interests from dirtbiking to jeep’n, and if i get bored, Moab is 2hrs away. Area checks off every box for us

Lets back up a smidge. Wee bit of backstory.

I had never been to CO in all my 50yrs, been everywhere else, just not the Rockies. Almost moved to CA in my early 30s, played the business game instead (better move on my part) About 6yrs ago started going to Moab on dirtbike trips, encouraged the wife to go on the next trip. Soon was going 4-5 times a year, smitten is an understatement. Wife gushed as much as i did. Each pass thru CO we secretly started eyeballing places to consider living. One trip out we stopped in Montrose, seemed interesting enough. Immersed ourselves into the area for a bit, went back again and again, it started to feel right. The more we went the better it got. Wasnt much of an arm twist to think about moving there, but did have a lot to give up back in WI. Sold everything a little quicker than even we expected, the rest fell into place quite well, super happy with the outcome.

Just didnt want to make it seem like we did this on a whim, was carefully thought out. We had a very good life in WI, just didnt like harsh winters anymore

I have no advice, what worked for me might not work for others. Go forward with an open mind and all should end well. And if it doesnt, You dont make mistakes you make discoveries

Lets back up a smidge. Wee bit of backstory.

I had never been to CO in all my 50yrs, been everywhere else, just not the Rockies. Almost moved to CA in my early 30s, played the business game instead (better move on my part) About 6yrs ago started going to Moab on dirtbike trips, encouraged the wife to go on the next trip. Soon was going 4-5 times a year, smitten is an understatement. Wife gushed as much as i did. Each pass thru CO we secretly started eyeballing places to consider living. One trip out we stopped in Montrose, seemed interesting enough. Immersed ourselves into the area for a bit, went back again and again, it started to feel right. The more we went the better it got. Wasnt much of an arm twist to think about moving there, but did have a lot to give up back in WI. Sold everything a little quicker than even we expected, the rest fell into place quite well, super happy with the outcome.

Just didnt want to make it seem like we did this on a whim, was carefully thought out. We had a very good life in WI, just didnt like harsh winters anymore

I have no advice, what worked for me might not work for others. Go forward with an open mind and all should end well. And if it doesnt, You dont make mistakes you make discoveries
Well said, we are definitely going to check some places out. We have to wait a couple years until our kids are adults anyway. Thanks everyone for your suggestions.